Re-privatize US Airport Security

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Not a very good forum-fit, but here goes.

As one of the many knee-jerk reactions of 9/11, Bush federalized airport security. Security wasn't the reason the terrorists were allowed onboard with then-legal knives, nevertheless ...

I think airlines or airports should be privatized completely, with the possible exception of air traffic control. The competition would be phenominally better than everybody sitting back blaming the gov't for being inadequate. Some watchdog organization would surely materialize to report which airlines & airports had adequate security and which didn't. Only those that fly would pay the tab rather than taxpayers. Good all around.

Agree?
Clint

Post by Clint »

Yes!!!
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
abbey

Post by abbey »

I'm not too sure it would be better,

the uk government privatised the prison system and it's a ruddy shambles now,

the security is abysmal.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Accountable wrote: Not a very good forum-fit, but here goes.

As one of the many knee-jerk reactions of 9/11, Bush federalized airport security. Security wasn't the reason the terrorists were allowed onboard with then-legal knives, nevertheless ...

I think airlines or airports should be privatized completely, with the possible exception of air traffic control. The competition would be phenominally better than everybody sitting back blaming the gov't for being inadequate. Some watchdog organization would surely materialize to report which airlines & airports had adequate security and which didn't. Only those that fly would pay the tab rather than taxpayers. Good all around.

Agree?

Airlines are privitized - but they operate within the federal air traffic control guidelines. It costs the airlines to fly into airports - hence they set up "hubs" to decrease this cost - they are charged per passenger when they fly into an airport. How do you think the federal guidelined airports make any money??
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Nvalleyvee, I don't think the federal gov't owns the airports. Some are city or regional, but most are not. I'm in unfamiliar waters, though. Anyone know for sure?

Jives?
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

the feds oversee the airspace - who can land and when
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Clint

Post by Clint »

Most airports are owned locally by the public. Port districts are a common owner. The FAA regulates the larger international airports and States regulate the smaller ones. As nvalleyvee says, the Feds control the airspace for all of them.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

From the original post:

Accountable wrote: I think airlines or airports should be privatized completely, with the possible exception of air traffic control.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: From the original post:
And again, I say I agree. They need to stand on their own financially and I think they would operate more efficiently that way.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: And again, I say I agree. They need to stand on their own financially and I think they would operate more efficiently that way.
And that would do away with any invasion of privacy/racial profiling issues. Private businesses can refuse service to anyone. You don't want to undergo our stringent security checks before boarding? You are free to fly on one of the less-safe airlines. Havaniceday!

The commercials would have purpose again: "When you fly Safubetcha Airlines, you can rest assured that our screeners have been trained in the latest techniques in strip searching and shiatsu massage. You'll leave the security area reassured and relaxed. You can pay less, but you will get less."
Clint

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: And that would do away with any invasion of privacy/racial profiling issues. Private businesses can refuse service to anyone. You don't want to undergo our stringent security checks before boarding? You are free to fly on one of the less-safe airlines. Havaniceday!

The commercials would have purpose again: "When you fly Safubetcha Airlines, you can rest assured that our screeners have been trained in the latest techniques in strip searching and shiatsu massage. You'll leave the security area reassured and relaxed. You can pay less, but you will get less."
What brand of coffee do you drink? I want some. This is both hillarious and accurate.:wah: :rolleyes:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Bumping this thread for perspective from newer members.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;90849 wrote: Not a very good forum-fit, but here goes.

Agree?

Blackwater would be my 1st choice. :D
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Jester;774185 wrote: Yes and No...

Privitize security, and processing passengers, however a risk assessment of security needs to be done by federal authorities and any fixes or recomendations need to be required and fixed immediatly.
Why?

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is a private company that does car crash tests more thoroughly than the fed and publishes the results, yet the fed insists on still being the final authority. The car companies ignore the IIHS findings and simply says "but we are within federal standards" rather than improving their product.

Underwriters Laboratories is an independent organization that inspects and certifies electrical equipment. Every appliance in your house has the UL label. When's the last time you got shocked because of faulty equipment?

Airlines will pay through the nose for a reputable private endorsement of their safety. No half-assed bureaucratic inspection necessary.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I don't understand why you insist that I pay for that with my tax dollar. Private companies do consultations of this type for the government. There's no reason they can't do the same for airlines & airports.

They can do the tests, publicize the findings, and 20/20 will give them an hour to tell everybody. I know those car crash tests draw really high ratings when they air. Showing which airlines have poor security would surely be even more popular.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Clint;91258 wrote: What brand of coffee do you drink? I want some. This is both hillarious and accurate.:wah: :rolleyes:

he's naturally cool like that! :p :D :wah: :-4
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

sunny104;774800 wrote: he's naturally cool like that! :p :D :wah: :-4
:yh_youkid :yh_blush

Return to “Warfare Military”