Some things never change...

User avatar
Arena
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:35 am

Some things never change...

Post by Arena »

User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 4114
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Some things never change...

Post by tude dog »

With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds.

A. Lincoln
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Some things never change...

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Don't go looking for reasons to be offended, tude my friend. So what. Anyway, it was our illegal war against Vietnam that started the rift.
User avatar
tude dog
Posts: 4114
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Some things never change...

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1479019 wrote: Don't go looking for reasons to be offended, tude my friend. So what. Anyway, it was our illegal war against Vietnam that started the rift.



Huh, watt?

From D-Day to 'Nam.

Dunt see the connection.
With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds.

A. Lincoln
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Some things never change...

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1479110 wrote: Huh, watt?

From D-Day to 'Nam.

Dunt see the connection.



Connection being Europe's big problem with the USA began with our foray into Vietnam. And yes, I know the French did it first. More was expected of us, & our excessive brutality cost us Europe's respect.
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14717
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Some things never change...

Post by G#Gill »

The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month.

We will remember them.




I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Some things never change...

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1478960 wrote:
And this means what, that Europe, and France in particular here, should also turn a blind eye to atrocities committed by American soldiers?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Some things never change...

Post by Ahso! »

G#Gill;1489315 wrote:

The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month.

We will remember them.




Remembrance Day is about WWI, isn't it? D-Day is WWII.

This beautiful photo and honor deserves its own thread though.

Enjoy your holiday!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Some things never change...

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1489317 wrote: Remembrance Day is about WWI, isn't it? D-Day is WWII.

This beautiful photo and honor deserves its own thread though.

Enjoy your holiday!

It started in memory of WW1 dead, taking place on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the time the war ended I believe, but it has come to mean much more over the years.

Now it is in memory of all those lost in the many conflicts since that war to end wars.

It is not a holiday though.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Some things never change...

Post by Ahso! »

Yes, that was a poor choice of words. Sorry! "Tribute"!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Some things never change...

Post by FourPart »

Remembrance Day is to remember all those who have fallen in the service of their country. This doesn't even have to be those in the Military. It also applies Fire Services, Lifeboatmen, Police, Ambulance Crews, etc. Just because they don't carry a gun or are in a career that specialises in killing people doesn't make them any less worthy of remembrance.
User avatar
Smaug
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:44 am

Some things never change...

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1489347 wrote: Remembrance Day is to remember all those who have fallen in the service of their country. This doesn't even have to be those in the Military. It also applies Fire Services, Lifeboatmen, Police, Ambulance Crews, etc. Just because they don't carry a gun or are in a career that specialises in killing people doesn't make them any less worthy of remembrance.



They have given up their lives to keep us safe. Serving their country in their own particular field.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Return to “Warfare Military”