I need help finding WWII veterans

dewitte

Post by dewitte »

I need your help! My husband is writing a book about WWII veterans, and he is looking for more vets to talk to about their experiences in the war.

If you know any World War II veterans, or if you know of where I could get a list of veterans, please let me know!

Thanks and Blessings
Peg

Post by Peg »

Check with your local VFW.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

dewitte;1261447 wrote: I need your help! My husband is writing a book about WWII veterans, and he is looking for more vets to talk to about their experiences in the war.

If you know any World War II veterans, or if you know of where I could get a list of veterans, please let me know!

Thanks and Blessings Visiting the local branch of the Royal British Legion could be a good place to start. I don't believe that a list as such exists.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dewitte;1261447 wrote: I need your help! My husband is writing a book about WWII veterans, and he is looking for more vets to talk to about their experiences in the war.

Thanks and Blessings

Well dewitte, you have to take into consideration that any vets from WWII may not wish to be bothered in any significant degree. Let's remember what they'd done for us and we shouldn't expect an ounce more than what they've given.

Having said that, you may find it overly difficult, your goal.

All I ask is that you keep it short and significant.

Good day(Thanks to them!)
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

K.Snyder;1261482 wrote: Well dewitte, you have to take into consideration that any vets from WWII may not wish to be bothered in any significant degree. !) Well said K. They are entitled to privacy this late in life as we all are. Even Genuine Historians do not have the right to Intrude in a families life by Investigating their deceased records. First and fore-most, any Historian must have the Permission or families Permission. If It were me and I was not approached first, i would sue. That is why there is no record of war veterans anywhere to my knowledge.

I have checked the profile of the poster and there is no Imformation. Where are you posting from exactly Dewitte and would you like to share some details of yourself here for us? The opening post is also vague. Are you looking for US, Canadian, Australian or British war vets? What service are you looking for? Air Force, navy, Land Army, etc etc

Infact I see you are posting from the UK. As It's your very first post, you seem to have gone straight to the Military catagory with your first post and not the Introduction thread as most do to Introduce yourself first. Considering It's your first post, you seem also to know your way around the signs you can add when posting a new thread. Might just be co-incidence but I'll just ask, how did you find our forum?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
abbey

Post by abbey »

Whats with the 3rd degree Oscar :confused:
spot

Post by spot »

Thanks and Blessings

There are several relevant links to veterans' associations at Feldgrau.net - Finding German Veterans - good luck to your husband with his writing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Any local Veterans of Foriegn Wars Post www.vfw.org member would be more then happy to talk with anyone expressing an interest in listening to them.

Then you have the Catholic War Veterans - www.cwv.org

More generic - Directory of Veterans Groups and Organizations - Assist Vets and Provide Benefit Information - Veterans Network

Good luck in your research!:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

abbey;1261528 wrote: Whats with the 3rd degree Oscar :confused:

The OP was vague as to what country and service the poster was looking for.

Also, just because a man or woman served and survived the war. does not give Joe Public to right to contact them and Interfere with their life. Sorry but I had enought of that a year ago.

If I wanted some-one to write about any of my family, I would approach a writer.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Post by Peg »

The few remaining WWII vets we have at our VFW love to talk about the war. They love the fact that they have company who is actually interested in their stories.
Oscar Namechange

Peg;1261630 wrote: The few remaining WWII vets we have at our VFW love to talk about the war. They love the fact that they have company who is actually interested in their stories. Many I come into contact with Peg, Do not want to talk about it.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1261636 wrote: Many I come into contact with Peg, Do not want to talk about it.

Peg's WW2 veterans aren't English though, are they.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1261649 wrote: Peg's WW2 veterans aren't English though, are they.
True... I get annoyed at this kind of thing because many folk who want to talk to War vets talk about the war. What about their achievements before and after the war? It seems that some treat them as mere objects for history buffs showing no Interest in their lives before and after the very thing that they find of Interest.
dewitte

Post by dewitte »

Clearly I've struck a nerve with at least a couple of you. I apologize for the vagueness of my original post and that I have not introduced myself...clearly I'm not up on my online forum protocol!

First of all, let me clarify that my husband has never and WILL never force anyone to talk about something they don't want to talk about. It has been my experience, though, that you don't get anything if you don't ask for it. Even vets that don't want to talk about it have never been angry with him for asking, they just say they don't want to talk about it and he leaves it at that. He is writing his book to honor those that served. He has interviewed more than 150 vets, and he just wants to talk to as many as possible before there are none left...obviously, time is running short for the greatest generation.

We live in the US, and he has been talking with American veterans of the war. His goal is to talk to as many different positions and branches as possible. He wants to tell the stories of the "common man" in the war...we've all heard about the great generals and other heroes of the war. He wants to let everyone know that every single person served an extremely important role in the war.

I found this forum by doing an online search...there was another post from a couple years back talking about veterans, and as I looked around the forum a little bit, I simply thought I might get some useful information from someone out there.

Thanks to those of you who have given me suggestions to help him find more :).
Peg

Post by Peg »

dewitte;1261668 wrote: Clearly I've struck a nerve with at least a couple of you. I apologize for the vagueness of my original post and that I have not introduced myself...clearly I'm not up on my online forum protocol!

First of all, let me clarify that my husband has never and WILL never force anyone to talk about something they don't want to talk about. It has been my experience, though, that you don't get anything if you don't ask for it. Even vets that don't want to talk about it have never been angry with him for asking, they just say they don't want to talk about it and he leaves it at that. He is writing his book to honor those that served. He has interviewed more than 150 vets, and he just wants to talk to as many as possible before there are none left...obviously, time is running short for the greatest generation.

We live in the US, and he has been talking with American veterans of the war. His goal is to talk to as many different positions and branches as possible. He wants to tell the stories of the "common man" in the war...we've all heard about the great generals and other heroes of the war. He wants to let everyone know that every single person served an extremely important role in the war.

I found this forum by doing an online search...there was another post from a couple years back talking about veterans, and as I looked around the forum a little bit, I simply thought I might get some useful information from someone out there.

I hope you decide to stick around and post in some of the threads here. Welcome to the garden. :-6
Oscar Namechange

dewitte;1261668 wrote: Clearly I've struck a nerve with at least a couple of you. I apologize for the vagueness of my original post and that I have not introduced myself...clearly I'm not up on my online forum protocol!

You will have to excuse my third degree dewitte. Only very recently, my brother was contacted by the RAF in Britian, to tell us that an anon person had been making very personal enquiries into my Father and seemed to have a great deal of Interest. I have my own reasons for being suspicious but as my Father is my late Father, I abhore this kind od Intrusion however, they have been rumbled.

Is it just US vets you are searching for or British as well? A very close friend of mine that I was at school with is a publish Aviation author and has written Auto-biography's for some of Englands decorated Vets. maybe he would be of some help If you were looking for British as well as US.
dewitte

Post by dewitte »

Thanks Peg - I may just stick around...it's a time thing...there's just never enough!

Oscar - thanks for your reply as well...I don't know what he's thinking (or if he's considered) talking with UK vets as well. I will ask him and know where to find you if he is interested.

Thanks again!!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

You'd have to go a ways to really get on anyones nerves(have you met nomad yet?):D

Welcome to the garden and for sure look around and jump in everywhere - we love fresh faces:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

You hadn't struck a nerve with me dewitte. My response was an attempt to receive a post extremely similar to this one.

Good day(Thanks to them!) and good luck!

Return to “Warfare Military”