Can we be pro-troops and anti-war?

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

For the past 6 or 7 years we've heard people say that it is impossible to support the troops and be against the Iraq war - that the two are inseparable.

If you feel that way, I have a question:

If Obama decided to send troops to Honduras to reinstate their president, would you suddenly be on the side of Hugo Chavez, or would the troops become evil killers? Or would you support the troops yet be against how the administration decided to use them?
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Accountable;1213648 wrote: For the past 6 or 7 years we've heard people say that it is impossible to support the troops and be against the Iraq war - that the two are inseparable.

If Obama decided to send troops to Honduras to reinstate their president, would you suddenly be on the side of Hugo Chavez, or would the troops become evil killers? Or would you support the troops yet be against how the administration decided to use them?

my daughter is in your army

if she falls in the field i would hate it even more for it to be invading some back alley dust bowl of a country where the army had no legal right to be there :thinking::thinking:

but if some country was invading the states i would find her death easier to take as that is what she signed up for :thinking:
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Accountable;1213648 wrote: For the past 6 or 7 years we've heard people say that it is impossible to support the troops and be against the Iraq war - that the two are inseparable.

He's the guy who left in his pyjama's ??
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, the pajama coup guy.

I think Obama should keep out of Honduras.
Oscar Namechange

chonsigirl;1213663 wrote: Yes, the pajama coup guy.

I think Obama should keep out of Honduras. It seems pretty unstable down there at the moment.

America and Britain should keep out. There is far too much going on with Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan. I think there comes a time where you have to draw the line some-where. These countries such as Honduras have a habit of sorting themselves out.

I support our troops but i am totally against them being in Iraq and Afghanistan.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

farmer giles;1213652 wrote: my daughter is in your army

if she falls in the field i would hate it even more for it to be invading some back alley dust bowl of a country where the army had no legal right to be there :thinking::thinking:

but if some country was invading the states i would find her death easier to take as that is what she signed up for :thinking:
Exactly my point. Thank you. I stayed out of these types of conversations because of my own ambivalence. This scenario hopefully sheds light on the fallacy that we can't reject one without rejecting both.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Accountable;1213769 wrote: Exactly my point. Thank you. I stayed out of these types of conversations because of my own ambivalence. This scenario hopefully sheds light on the fallacy that we can't reject one without rejecting both.

peace my friend :-6:-6:-6
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;1213663 wrote: Yes, the pajama coup guy.

I think Obama should keep out of Honduras.
I do too, but an invasion would not in the slightest reduce my love, admiration, and gratitude for the American Soldier. :yh_flag
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

They always have been two totally separate questions - you can believe that the troops are the best and they are doing a fantastic job in terrible circumstances showing tremendous courage whilst still believing that the bastards that sent them there should be tried as war criminals.

If Obama sent troops to invade Honduras then I would hold him responsible for war crimes - just as I do Bush and Blair.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Bryn Mawr;1213829 wrote: They always have been two totally separate questions - you can believe that the troops are the best and they are doing a fantastic job in terrible circumstances showing tremendous courage whilst still believing that the bastards that sent them there should be tried as war criminals.

If Obama sent troops to invade Honduras then I would hold him responsible for war crimes - just as I do Bush and Blair.

fantastic post bryn my thoughts exactly :-6:-6

where have you been :thinking:
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1213829 wrote: They always have been two totally separate questions - you can believe that the troops are the best and they are doing a fantastic job in terrible circumstances showing tremendous courage whilst still believing that the bastards that sent them there should be tried as war criminals.

I agree Bryn but i don't hold with the bastards who sent them there being totally responsible. Anyone joining the forces in this day and age knows that defending their homeland fron foriegn invasion is highly unlikely. They are under no illusions when they join that they will be invading foriegn soil. It's easy to say after the event 'Ah but i didn't really want to go, it was that nasty Bush/Blair who made me. They join up knowing exactly what their obligations are likely to be.

They join knowing full well that they are likely in the future to kill some-one, insurgent or innocent but 'hey, i'm in the forces, so it's allowed.'

Anyone in this day and age joining the British and American forces with their track record of illegally invading countries does it for their self gratification.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

oscar;1213668 wrote: I support our troops but i am totally against them being in Iraq and Afghanistan.

oscar;1213847 wrote: Anyone in this day and age joining the British and American forces with their track record of illegally invading countries does it for their self gratification.
:yh_eyebro
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1214121 wrote: :yh_eyebro

I'd happily expand on that but the terms of the opening post exclude me from contributing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Accountable;1214121 wrote: :yh_eyebro
I support our troops in as much as i don't want them getting blown up and killed and i object to muslim fanatics screaming abuse at our home coming troops. However, if they were not in an illegal war, they would not have that risk. I am all for the forces acting as peace keepers in trouble spots around the globe but any one joing the forces in this day and age knows exactly what they are likely to be doing.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

oscar;1214163 wrote: I support our troops in as much as i don't want them getting blown up and killed and i object to muslim fanatics screaming abuse at our home coming troops. However, if they were not in an illegal war, they would not have that risk. I am all for the forces acting as peace keepers in trouble spots around the globe but any one joing the forces in this day and age knows exactly what they are likely to be doing.
I don't understand your definition of "support" if in the same breath you condemn them for even being troops in the first place.
Oscar Namechange

Accountable;1214182 wrote: I don't understand your definition of "support" if in the same breath you condemn them for even being troops in the first place.
Yes, that's correct.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I dont understand the sentiment.

I do understand how people could hate the war and the troops because the troops are the war machine and using their own free will they opted to become a part of that machine.

Thats not my feeling, I hate the war but I dont hate the people fighting the war. That includes the people fighting on the other side.

Hating them would be the same as hating our troops.

I feel empathy for them. They all have their own reasons for joining. I imagine many American soldiers are patriotic while others merely want an opportunity they might not otherwise have to gain an education and buy a house so they can raise a family.

At any rate its all a big brainwash. I think people that drive car bombs into groups of innocents are insane. I also think the Iraqi war is insane. The fact is those soldiers signed on the dotted line for whatever the reason and they knew what they were getting into.

Im saddened when people die in war and I feel terrible for the families but that was the deal they got themselves into. I dont know that I consider them heroes since Iraq wasnt invading our shores.

I have to question the heroism in invading a country that was no threat to us. The whole thing is one big cluster **** and we all fell for it hook line and sinker.

In our town we have a large Somali population. In the last year 20 young Somali men have disappeared and not made contact with their families until arriving in Mogadishu. They had been recruited and shipped out overnight. Several of them were high school students.

One according to the Mpls. Star Tribune was executed because hed called his mother and said he wanted to come home.

Apparently the reality smacked him square in the face.

Governments, religions, people in general are always trying to persuade us theres only one truth and it so happens to be their truth.

They cajole, manipulate, brainwash and threaten to serve their purpose and we buy into it.

Its a sickness called the human condition.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Your empathy's your greatest strength, bro.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;1216356 wrote: Your empathy's your greatest strength, bro.

I think so. Thank you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

[QUOTE=Nomad;1216352]I dont understand the sentiment.

I do understand how people could hate the war and the troops because the troops are the war machine and using their own free will they opted to become a part of that machine.

Thats not my feeling, I hate the war but I dont hate the people fighting the war. That includes the people fighting on the other side.

that is exactly my thoughts:thinking:

empathy ... you wouldn't say that if you were in their shoes

Return to “Warfare Military”