Volunteering for military service

spot

Post by spot »

Okay, I got "off topic" thrown at me in So Who is, was or will be in the military. Here it's on topic.Comments like "You are all such brave men and women, and I do honor you all" call for a measure of balance. Is it the general mood of the thread that those holding the most powerful weaponry, with the best intelligence, the most money, the armoured vehicles and most of all the air cover, are such brave men and women? In contrast with what's effectively an armed civil militia against whom they're sent? I don't see it myself.

What I've asked in the past is whether we regard the people who saw off the Russians during the 1980s in Afghanistan as brave patriots or religious fanatics. Because they're exactly the same people who are fighting back against mile-high bombers and A10 tankbusters at the moment in the same place and they're doing exactly the same today as they were doing in the 1980s. Was Reagan right? Were they brave heroes? Or were the Russians the brave forces trying to bring civilization and justice to a backward tyrannical part of the world?

Why is there a double standard in coming to an answer?

How can anyone volunteer to join a military which is being used by politicians for such unjust ends?I bring forward a reply from reddog:reddog;1150351 wrote: Spot,

I'm new to the forum and dont know what else you have asked in the past. I cant answer why all who volunteer do. I volunteered in the early 60s to keep from being drafted for Viet Nam. I still went to Nam and a few other places. Of Course we haven't had the draft for many years now. This war is being controlled by politicians. They have controlled ALL wars in our history as a country.

First of all, people who are in the Military dont make policy. The politicians that ALL Americans who vote elect these policy making politicians. (Both Democrats and Republicans) The job of the military is to carry out and enforce those policies. We didn't get to select the policies that we wanted to support. We supported All.

I dont know and dont give a tinkers damn what the russians did in Afghanistan. They were carrying out their politicians policy, If I remember correctly, we were in the middle of a "Cold War" with them and they were our enemy. So I guess it would depend on who you are enemies with at the time who the "Good Guys" are.

The people in the military have chosen an honerable profession. God Bless themMy reaction to that post is
  • Nobody in today's military volunteered during a time of conscription. Those who did in the past were standing alongside people who had no choice but to serve. That excuse no longer exists.

Everyone currently serving volunteered into an armed service which deploys abroad to fight. Nobody can pretend to be surprised to find themselves either fighting abroad or supporting troops who are fighting abroad.Absolving these volunteers on the basis that they haven't chosen to fight abroad misses the point. The point is that they've made themselves available to the politicians to deploy the armed services abroad to fight. Without that availability it wouldn't be a political option. The responsibility for fighting abroad lies ultimately with each volunteer, not with the politicians. The one defence not allowed any longer is "I was only following orders", that was destroyed by American, French, British and Russian lawyers whom I thank unreservedly.To neither know nor give a tinker's damn what the russians did in Afghanistan, for someone who served during the Vietnam liberation war, is both sickening and enlightening at the same time. And, given the current fighting in Afghanistan, shameful. I asked why there's a double standard and that's a large part of the answer - unforgivable deliberate ignorance.The people in the military haven't chosen an honorable profession in the slightest, they're paid killers who choose to work for criminals for personal benefit. To correct Accountable I don't regard them as evil, merely as morally bankrupt. And no, I've not deleted his post, a forum software upgrade renamed threads, that's why his link's broken. I helped him rebuild the "sha" taglist too though I vehemently deny being anti-American.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1150783 wrote: To correct Accountable I don't regard them as evil, merely as morally bankrupt.You're not correcting me, you're altering what you've posted time and again.spot wrote: And no, I've not deleted his post, a forum software upgrade renamed threads, that's why his link's broken.It wasn't my post that was deleted; it was yours. Perhaps you can find it if it wasn't deleted, because I've tried.spot wrote: I helped him rebuild the "sha" taglist too though I vehemently deny being anti-American.Thus saith one side of your mouth. :yh_eyebro
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1150834 wrote: It wasn't my post that was deleted; it was yours. Perhaps you can find it if it wasn't deleted, because I've tried.Yes, you're right, it was my post. I don't have access to the discussion in the Mod forum which is why I'm relying solely on memory. Both Tombstone and the moderators had a major search the first time it was mentioned and it's definitely not there, there's a hole in the database at that point. We don't know why and I'm sure we reported all this to you when you raised it. For some reason you prefer to regard the post's loss as deliberate censorship on my part rather than a glitch in the system. I don't like the glitch theory any more than you do but I have no reason to think the post was deliberately deleted by anyone.

Why is there a double standard in comparing the expulsion of the Russian armed forces from Afghanistan with the expulsion of Western armed forces? Do you dispute it's the same people doing the expelling, for example?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1150834 wrote: [quote=spot]I helped him rebuild the "sha" taglist too though I vehemently deny being anti-American.Thus saith one side of your mouth. :yh_eyebro

You know, the problem is that you insist on making this personal instead of responding to my points. I'm not anti-American any more than Desmond Tutu is anti-American. I offer, as the finest discussion yet on "Anti-Americanism", his essay earlier this month on the false perception of worldwide anti-American sentiment. Desmond Tutu is Archbishop of Cape Town and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. I can find nothing in his essay that contradicts what I've been explicitly writing on ForumGarden for years about "Anti-Americanism". Here's an extract:

During the previous administration's term, I'd been asked to suggest one unilateral magnanimous gesture or action that the incoming US president might make to counteract anti-Americanism abroad. I said that while there were clearly pockets of anti-Americanism around the world, this was definitely not a global phenomenon nor was it directed towards the American people.

What I certainly could attest to was substantial resentment and indeed hostile opposition to the policies of a particular US administration.

I contended, as I do now, that the two are quite distinct and separate.

An elucidating example dates back to the years of the anti-apartheid struggle. The Reagan White House was firmly opposed to applying sanctions against the South African apartheid regime, preferring what it described as "constructive engagement". Many of us were incensed by this policy and opposed it with every fibre of our being.

I probably dismayed many people when on one occasion I was told of the latest Reagan rejection of our call for US sanctions against Pretoria. I retorted, out of deep exasperation, "The West can go to hell!" I was then Bishop of Johannesburg, and some thought it was decidedly un-episcopal language.

I was very angry toward the Reagan administration, but that did not make me anti-American. And that is the point, anger and resentment toward the policies of a particular administration do not necessarily translate into anti-American sentiment.

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Viewpoint: A word of caution to Obama

Stop thinking that if you could only successfully bully me you'd invalidate my points. Address what I've said or sit back and leave a general assumption that my points are unanswerable. If you're going to try, though, do stick to what I write instead of what you mistakenly think I believe.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

spot;1150783 wrote: ..............The people in the military haven't chosen an honorable profession in the slightest, they're paid killers who choose to work for criminals for personal benefit........... .

I was taken aback by 'your opinion'.

Thankfully 'this opinon of yours' is in a minority.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
spot

Post by spot »

Kindle;1150860 wrote: I was taken aback by 'your opinion'.

Thankfully 'this opinon of yours' is in a minority.

That they're paid is indisputable. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

That they kill is indisputable. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

That they choose to do this is indisputable, they're not conscripts, they volunteered. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

Quite a few even boast about doing it for personal benefit - they get put through college, they get their education, they get job qualifications, they're trained in areas which allow them to get civilian jobs after their discharge. It's the major selling point of recruiting sergeants going round slum schools enticing school-leavers to sign up. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

What's left?

Oh... whether they work for criminals. That, I agree, only time will tell. If the key members of the Bush White House finally go to their graves without appearing in a US court to answer charges of treason then maybe it's an inaccurate word. They definitely can't be summoned to the International War Crimes tribunal because the US deliberately didn't sign up to it. I think you'll find that few of them travel abroad from now on though. If they land in England there'll be a queue of people applying for magistrate orders to have them arrested for torture under UK law, the way we did with Pinochet.

Oh - final point: my view's not a minority view. What I say here is what most of the world thinks.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

laugh. Now it's my turn to take the thread off-topic.

I think old Tutu puts it very well.

The basic situation is that the USA is a place where principle and ideals are very strong in the fundamental make-up of the place: "Send us your poor and your huddled masses and they can live the American Dream", to paraphrase 200 years of US history. It resonates still.

And then you get the GW years. It is hard to articulate my total contempt for this man and his administration. I cannot think of one foreign policy success in his time (there may have been some, but I don't know of them) and during his time in office the current financial disaster was created.

To call the man a moron is to insult the retarded, and he was VOTED IN to run a place as vast and complex as the USA. Look at the way he failed to deal with something as widely predicted as the flooding of New Orleans, failed to grasp the existence of climate change, allowed the sub-prime fiasco, and deceived his allies into war. I despise the cretin.

If the world is going to hell in a handbasket, a lot of it is the fault of one idiot:

G.W.Bush.

I don't pity the fool, I want to rack the bastard.

So a good many people, myself included, have this immense affection for the USA and all she stands for, and simultaneously, total contempt for the way she has behaved internationally for the last decade or two.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

spot;1150868 wrote: That they're paid is indisputable. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

That they kill is indisputable. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

That they choose to do this is indisputable, they're not conscripts, they volunteered. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

Quite a few even boast about doing it for personal benefit - they get put through college, they get their education, they get job qualifications, they're trained in areas which allow them to get civilian jobs after their discharge. It's the major selling point of recruiting sergeants going round slum schools enticing school-leavers to sign up. That's not a matter of opinion one way or the other.

What's left?

Oh... whether they work for criminals. That, I agree, only time will tell. If the key members of the Bush White House finally go to their graves without appearing in court to answer charges of treason then maybe it's an inaccurate word. They definitely can't be summoned to the International War Crimes tribunal because the US deliberately didn't sign up to it. I think you'll find that few of them travel abroad from now on though. If they land in England there'll be a queue of people applying for magistrate orders to have them arrested for torture under UK law, the way we did with Pinochet.

Morning Spot.

Interesting how you've presented facts but then end with your interpretation of them. I'm going to have to emulate this tactic, as it takes the focus off the stated final conclusion.

I'm learning so much from you. You're becoming my hero. :-4

spot

Post by spot »

Kindle;1150877 wrote: Interesting how you've presented facts but then end with your interpretation of themDo you know, getting you to agree with all but the last paragraph isn't bad for a start.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

spot;1150888 wrote: Do you know, getting you to agree with all but the last paragraph isn't bad for a start.

I agree. :)

I am always open to new thoughts, especially when they are so foreign to mine.

spot

Post by spot »

You ask around, Kindle, you'll find most people agree with what I've written in this thread.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

spot;1150899 wrote: You ask around, Kindle, you'll find most people agree with what I've written in this thread.

I don't think so. Usually like minded people hang with like minded people, but I'll ask the ladies at our morning gathering today and get back to you on it. :D

spot

Post by spot »

Kindle;1150905 wrote: I don't think so. Usually like minded people hang with like minded people, but I'll ask the ladies at our morning gathering today and get back to you on it. :D

Now that, so long as you quote me fully and accurately, should be one hell of a morning gathering. Good luck with it. Remember to bring up the Russians!
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

spot;1150906 wrote: Now that, so long as you quote me fully and accurately, should be one hell of a morning gathering. Good luck with it. Remember to bring up the Russians!

Got it. Have printed #1, #5 and #6 so I shall not mis-speak.

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clodhopper;1150869 wrote:

If the world is going to hell in a handbasket, a lot of it is the fault of one idiot:

G.W.Bush.

I don't pity the fool, I want to rack the bastard.

So a good many people, myself included, have this immense affection for the USA and all she stands for, and simultaneously, total contempt for the way she has behaved internationally for the last decade or two.

Add Tony Blair to his name Cloddy..... he knew exactly what he was doing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1150922 wrote: Add Tony Blair to his name Cloddy..... he knew exactly what he was doing.

I've long had a sneaking suspicion it was actually his idea in the first place.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1150934 wrote: I've long had a sneaking suspicion it was actually his idea in the first place. Really?????

YouTube - Bush Blair Endless Love

What a pair of ****************
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1150855 wrote: You know, the problem is that you insist on making this personal You've made this personal; I'm taking it personally. Why shouldn't I? You've called me, Jester, and several other members of this forum (not to mention spouses and other family members of my fellow Gardeners) evil and morally bankrupt. Indeed, how could I not take your tripe as anything other than a personal insult?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;1151343 wrote: You've made this personal; I'm taking it personally. Why shouldn't I? You've called me, Jester, and several other members of this forum (not to mention spouses and other family members of my fellow Gardeners) evil and morally bankrupt. Indeed, how could I not take your tripe as anything other than a personal insult?

Thank you Accountable. I agree with you 100%.:-6

Morally bankrupt.....what a horrible name to call people:mad:
Oscar Namechange

Kathy Ellen;1151354 wrote: Thank you Accountable. I agree with you 100%.:-6

Morally bankrupt.....what a horrible name to call people:mad: What exactly does morally bankrupt mean anyway? :confused:
spot

Post by spot »

The thread can stand as it is then. I've raised an unanswerable point showing up the bankruptcy of any ethical stance in the current Western occupation of Afghanistan. We have no right to be there, no reason to be there and while we're there the good people of Afghanistan are entirely justified in attempting to eject us.

By all means explain why the Western position differs from that of the earlier Russian position if you'd rather. I don't think you can but at least I've invited discussion.

Do we regard the people who saw off the Russians during the 1980s in Afghanistan as brave patriots or religious fanatics. Because they're exactly the same people who are fighting back against mile-high bombers and A10 tankbusters at the moment in the same place and they're doing exactly the same today as they were doing in the 1980s. Was Reagan right? Were they brave heroes? Or were the Russians the brave forces trying to bring civilization and justice to a backward tyrannical part of the world?

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1085790 wrote: I don't make jabs or personal attacks at any ForumGarden member.:yh_beatup:yh_liar
spot

Post by spot »

It had never once occurred to me that anyone might take personally an accusation of moral inadequacy in the matter of volunteering for service in Western armed forces, Accountable. I can see that the point makes you uncomfortable. You did it, you doubtless profited from it, now you can wear it. Perhaps at the same time you can explain to me why the Afghans are wrong in defending their homeland against foreign invaders, given that the same people were right to do it against the Russians in the 1980s. You applauded their bravery and tenacity then, applaud it now: the cases are comparable.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

spot;1151506 wrote: It had never once occurred to me that anyone might take personally an accusation of moral inadequacy in the matter of volunteering for service in Western armed forces, Accountable.

Then you must be a little detached from reality Spot. You have insulted member's morals, their lifetime of service and their bravery. Not to mention the never ending mental effects of being under such stress for such a long time.

Strange how you changed it from morally bankrupt to "moral inadequacy". There is a huge difference.
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
spot

Post by spot »

Hamster;1151512 wrote: Then you must be a little detached from reality Spot. You have insulted member's morals, their lifetime of service and their bravery. Not to mention the never ending mental effects of being under such stress for such a long time.

Strange how you changed it from morally bankrupt to "moral inadequacy". There is a huge difference.

Let's start from basics. Where's the bravery?

Western armies, since the end of conscription, have killed armed civil militias at about a ratio of 40 homeland defenders to one Western armed combatant and I note that no Western armed combatant has ever defended his own homeland in all that time, they're invariably the attacker fighting on foreign soil. Which side is brave, the Western armed combatant or the far less well armed, far less well defended, completely lacking armour and air cover, civil militia? And yet they keep defending their homelands and winning. These armed militias won in Vietnam at the same huge loss ratio, for example. Who's currently President of Nicaragua, one of Oliver North's Contra killers or the leader of the Sandanistas, Daniel Ortega? I could go on.

Which side displays more bravery, given the consequences of defending against foreign occupation?

When's the list time a Western fighter pilot was brought down by an aerial opponent in a dogfight? When's the list time a Western bomber pilot even saw any of the villages he demolished, much less anyone firing back? I can't believe you're calling these people brave. Even taxi drivers back home are more at risk of injury or death than a volunteer in a Western armed force.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

spot;1151516 wrote: Let's start from basics. Where's the bravery?

Western armies, since the end of conscription, have killed armed civil militias at about a ratio of 40 homeland defenders to one Western armed combatant and I note that no Western armed combatant has ever defended his own homeland in all that time, they're invariably the attacker fighting on foreign soil. Which side is brave, the Western armed combatant or the far less well armed, far less well defended, completely lacking armour and air cover, civil militia? And yet they keep defending their homelands and winning. These armed militias won in Vietnam at the same huge loss ratio, for example. Who's currently President of Nicaragua, one of Oliver North's Contra killers or the leader of the Sandanistas, Daniel Ortega? I could go on.

Which side displays more bravery, given the consequences of defending against foreign occupation?

When's the list time a Western fighter pilot was brought down by an aerial opponent in a dogfight? When's the list time a Western bomber pilot even saw any of the villages he demolished, much less anyone firing back? I can't believe you're calling these people brave. Even taxi drivers back home are more at risk of injury or death than a volunteer in a Western armed force.

Why does only one side have to be brave? Why does only one side "win" on that front? Why is it a petty battle of who is braver? Does that really matter? I think anyone that risks their lives are brave.

I think you have a very colourful view of what life is like when serving. Regardless of the reasons for being there our troops do risk their lives and often.

If it is so easy to do and requires no bravery and success is so assured why aren't people standing in line waiting to sign up in this country?
spot

Post by spot »

Hamster;1151552 wrote: If it is so easy to do and requires no bravery and success is so assured why aren't people standing in line waiting to sign up in this country?
Because so few people trust their political masters to use the armed forces for legal and moral purposes, and not without cause given the precedents.

There's a concept of a just war. Defending one's homeland from foreign invasion is a just cause for fighting. Invading someone else's territory most certainly isn't.

Success isn't assured, by the way. Quite the contrary. When last did an invading Western armed force succeed in imposing a pro-Western administration anywhere?
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

spot;1151566 wrote: Because so few people trust their political masters to use the armed forces for legal and moral purposes, and not without cause given the precedents.

There's a concept of a just war. Defending one's homeland from foreign invasion is a just cause for fighting. Invading someone else's territory most certainly isn't.

Success isn't assured, by the way. Quite the contrary. When last did an invading Western armed force succeed in imposing a pro-Western administration anywhere?

How can you possibly know what percentage people trust the administrations? Do you have figures? A source?

Is there anywhere you could sign up for the "military that only defends and does not attack"?

I agree with you in that invading someone else's territory isn't always a just cause but you sem to assume that these "invasions" have the motive of imposing Western culture and rule. Do you see Bush as someone who was bent on World Domination?
Oscar Namechange

Hamster;1151637 wrote: How can you possibly know what percentage people trust the administrations? Do you have figures? A source?

Is there anywhere you could sign up for the "military that only defends and does not attack"?

I agree with you in that invading someone else's territory isn't always a just cause but you sem to assume that these "invasions" have the motive of imposing Western culture and rule. Do you see Bush as someone who was bent on World Domination? Yep and you can stick Tony Blair in with him.

The decision to invade Iraq was following 9/11. The pilots in the planes were Saudi and not Iraqi. Did Bush or Blair want to invade Saudi?..... No? Then why not? Following 9/11 Bush declared he wanted Afghanistan to hand over Bin Laden. That was the reason to invade Afghanistan. Even after the air strikes on the Tora Bora Caves, it became evident that if Bin Laden had of been in Afghan after 9/11, he was well gone probably over the borders into Pakistan or Syria. To this day, there is not one scrap of evidence that links Bin laden with Afghan or Iraq. The British illegally invaded Iraq under the Blair lie that Sadam had wmd's. To this day, no evidence has even been found....... yet were still there 5 yeras later....... Why is that do you think?

YouTube - Blair and Bush's Love affair!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Oscar Namechange

Jester;1151572 wrote: Spot, I say this sincerely, you have not earned the status that desereves a reply IMHO. To me this is nothign more than your typical provocation to insight and bully.

If I thought for one second you really would like to discuss this issue I'd reply, and reply in a civil manner as used to. but oh so many times I have been burned trying to discuss things with you, such as this.

Assuming that no one can answer you or your question is unanswerable is foolish at best. As for me, it isnt that I cant answer, or don't have an opinion, it's that I won't answer you. Jester, you know my thoughts on Bush and Blair as we have been here before but i will just say that my opinion of them is not the same opinion of troops who serve their country. (did you get my e mail?):)
Oscar Namechange

Hamster;1151637 wrote: How can you possibly know what percentage people trust the administrations? Do you have figures? A source?

I agree with you in that invading someone else's territory isn't always a just cause but you sem to assume that these "invasions" have the motive of imposing Western culture and rule. Do you see Bush as someone who was bent on World Domination? Here's one US site for you to see how recruitment has fallen.

Bloomberg.com: U.S.

There are many sites for British service recruitment figures that you can google yourself.

We defended our country against the Nazi's during WW11. America came into the war after a terrorist attack by Japan on Pearl Harbour. Both countries fought to defend their homeland. Since WW11 neither Britain or America has had cause to defend against invasion. WE are the invaders.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1151506 wrote: It had never once occurred to me that anyone might take personally an accusation of moral inadequacy in the matter of volunteering for service in Western armed forces, Accountable.The words you used were "evil" and "morally bankrupt." Don't start mincing now; own your words. Never once occurred to you? You are either a liar (which I personally believe) or so stupid and devoid of the most basic skills of empathy that you can't possibly understand an explanation why your words are offensive.

I'm done with you. You're dismissed.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

oscar;1151650 wrote: Here's one US site for you to see how recruitment has fallen.

Bloomberg.com: U.S.

There are many sites for British service recruitment figures that you can google yourself.

We defended our country against the Nazi's during WW11. America came into the war after a terrorist attack by Japan on Pearl Harbour. Both countries fought to defend their homeland. Since WW11 neither Britain or America has had cause to defend against invasion. WE are the invaders.

I didn't ask for recruitment figures did I? I know recruitment has fallen. Maybe you need to read my posts slower, or even read them at all.
Oscar Namechange

I

You asked Spot how he could possibly know what % people trust the administration. I provided a link that showed anyone reading this thread the sinve Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, the recruit figures have dived. This also applies to the British recruitment figures and we add the Falklands war into that equation.

The recruitment figures are a direct implecation of the difference between signing up to defend your homeland as we did with Germany, and signing up to see active sevice in foriegn lands.

I have answered your question as to why i added a link on recruitment so perhaps you'd like to tell us why you think Bush and Blair did not invade Saudi when the pilots of 9/11 were Saudi? :)
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

spot;1150906 wrote: Now that, so long as you quote me fully and accurately, should be one hell of a morning gathering. Good luck with it. Remember to bring up the Russians!

It was indeed "one hell of a morning". We spent 20 minutes discussing it and one after another kept coming back to the topic during our gathering. It was all together a very stimulating and thoughful discussion. I really enjoyed it.

In all fairness I need to let you know about the ladies to whom I discussed this with, as I did say like-minded individuals usually group with others of the same mind.

9 ladies were present. All are Episcopalians and most have been since birth. The others were formerly born in one faith and switched to the Episcopal Church.

All 9 ladies have had fathers, sons, daughters, spouses serve in the military and some of them have done this for generations. Some currently have family serving in or near hot spots.

The ladies have a variety of backgrounds: teachers, librarians, nurses, business and "homemakers".

I read aloud to them posts 1, 5 and 6.

They, like myself, did not like your comment on military people not being honorable.

Some of the comments which I can recall (as some shook their heads) follow:

Serving one's country is an honorable profession. We honor the brave men and women who "protect and serve". Our country is safer with a strong military.

The soldiers serve the country, but every four years there is a possibility of a change in the "Commander in Chief". Soldiers do not quit serving because "they don't like the politics". If the politics put the country in harms way, there is an election to replace the President, but the military does not leave the country defenseless if that does not happen.

You, (the British poster) do not know what is in the hearts of the men and women who volunteer. You should not judge them.

Nobody wants to go to war, but every country needs a military ready and willing to defend it.

Now I understand the purpose of your post (apart from the issue I took with one sentence in it) was the Afgan / Russian situation. Since I cannot speak knowledgeablely about it, it was difficult for me to follow what some of the ladies had to say, so I cannot repeat their comments here. It would have be lovely if you could have spoken in person -- what a morning that would have been..........

On Afgan, you asked why there is a double standard: when the Russians came in, they were bascially expanding their political policies- one rule for another - not the country's choice. Yes, the US may seem to be doing the same thing, but the difference is the word "freedom". The US does not go in and tell them how it is going to be, they help them set up a free rule so that they can live how they choose, not as another country tells them. Yes the US stays for a while, but that is to insure the country is safe while they build up their country. We, the US, call it "bringing freedom to the world".

You then asked how anyone could volunteer to join a military which is being used by politicians for such unjust ends: Bascially, it came down to: The military is an honorable profession who serves the country under different commanders which can change every 4 or 8 years. They sign up to join for numerous reasons, and yes, the poor, the jobless etc. do use this as a vehicle (their decision) to improve their life. They do not opt out of mission cause they don't like what's going on. Just because in WW2 men volunteered to fight, does not mean that is the case now.

I've really had to stretch myself on this -- this isn't a field I feel I know enough about to debate it, but it does help clarify why I feel the way I do. What I feel is more what's in my heart which was instilled by the culture I was raised in and live in now.

My group of ladies vs your statements are not a balanced discussion as facts and emotions don't measure well against each other. However, I'm sure to be asked more next week and you, as an "educator", can know that you've opened up the thinking on this subject in nine more people.

I rest now.

Oscar Namechange

Kindle;1151710 wrote: It was indeed "one hell of a morning". We spent 20 minutes discussing it and one after another kept coming back to the topic during our gathering. It was all together a very stimulating and thoughful discussion. I really enjoyed it.

In all fairness I need to let you know about the ladies to whom I discussed this with, as I did say like-minded individuals usually group with others of the same mind.

9 ladies were present. All are Episcopalians and most have been since birth. The others were formerly born in one faith and switched to the Episcopal Church.

All 9 ladies have had fathers, sons, daughters, spouses serve in the military and some of them have done this for generations. Some currently have family serving in or near hot spots.

The ladies have a variety of backgrounds: teachers, librarians, nurses, business and "homemakers".

I read aloud to them posts 1, 5 and 6.

They, like myself, did not like your comment on military people not being honorable.

Some of the comments which I can recall (as some shook their heads) follow:

Serving one's country is an honorable profession. We honor the brave men and women who "protect and serve". Our country is safer with a strong military.

The soldiers serve the country, but every four years there is a possibility of a change in the "Commander in Chief". Soldiers do not quit serving because "they don't like the politics". If the politics put the country in harms way, there is an election to replace the President, but the military does not leave the country defenseless if that does not happen.

You, (the British poster) do not know what is in the hearts of the men and women who volunteer. You should not judge them.

Nobody wants to go to war, but every country needs a military ready and willing to defend it.

Now I understand the purpose of your post (apart from the issue I took with one sentence in it) was the Afgan / Russian situation. Since I cannot speak knowledgeablely about it, it was difficult for me to follow what some of the ladies had to say, so I cannot repeat their comments here. It would have be lovely if you could have spoken in person -- what a morning that would have been..........

On Afgan, you asked why there is a double standard: when the Russians came in, they were bascially expanding their political policies- one rule for another - not the country's choice. Yes, the US may seem to be doing the same thing, but the difference is the word "freedom". The US does not go in and tell them how it is going to be, they help them set up a free rule so that they can live how they choose, not as another country tells them. Yes the US stays for a while, but that is to insure the country is safe while they build up their country. We, the US, call it "bringing freedom to the world".

You then asked how anyone could volunteer to join a military which is being used by politicians for such unjust ends: Bascially, it came down to: The military is an honorable profession who serves the country under different commanders which can change every 4 or 8 years. They sign up to join for numerous reasons, and yes, the poor, the jobless etc. do use this as a vehicle (their decision) to improve their life. They do not opt out of mission cause they don't like what's going on. Just because in WW2 men volunteered to fight, does not mean that is the case now.

I've really had to stretch myself on this -- this isn't a field I feel I know enough about to debate it, but it does help clarify why I feel the way I do. What I feel is more what's in my heart which was instilled by the culture I was raised in and live in now.

My group of ladies vs your statements are not a balanced discussion as facts and emotions don't measure well against each other. However, I'm sure to be asked more next week and you, as an "educator", can know that you've opened up the thinking on this subject in nine more people.

I rest now. That was really interesting Kindle. Like you I often take posts on war threads to discussion here. I raise some posts with the WW11 veterans that i have regular meetings with.

What i can say on their behalf with certainty as we cover this subject often, is that for 1) They honour US and Canadian troops on Rememberence Sunday here.

However 2) is, to be frank, they do not view present troops in the same light as WW11 vets or those who served in the Great War. My own familie's war record is that all volunteered but millions were conscripted and died. They had absolutely no choice.....they were canon fodda but today..... all troops have a choice.

My husbands grandfather was a Consiencious Objecter in WW1. He did not want to fight because he was a coward but he didn't want to kill another human being. He had no choice and was drafted to the Western trenches were my own grandfather was blown up by a shell aged 29 yrs old. As Mr O's grandfather was a Conche... he worked as a medic in the trenches. He came out of a trench to tend an injured German and the British Army shot him in the head. He was also 29 yrs old.

CHOICE
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

oscar;1151725 wrote: That was really interesting Kindle. Like you I often take posts on war threads to discussion here. I raise some posts with the WW11 veterans that i have regular meetings with.

What i can say on their behalf with certainty as we cover this subject often, is that for 1) They honour US and Canadian troops on Rememberence Sunday here.

However 2) is, to be frank, they do not view present troops in the same light as WW11 vets or those who served in the Great War. My own familie's war record is that all volunteered but millions were conscripted and died. They had absolutely no choice.....they were canon fodda but today..... all troops have a choice.

My husbands grandfather was a Consiencious Objecter in WW1. He did not want to fight because he was a coward but he didn't want to kill another human being. He had no choice and was drafted to the Western trenches were my own grandfather was blown up by a shell aged 29 yrs old. As Mr O's grandfather was a Conche... he worked as a medic in the trenches. He came out of a trench to tend an injured German and the British Army shot him in the head. He was also 29 yrs old.

CHOICE

My father was killed in war and is buried in Belgium.

Oscar Namechange

Kindle;1151727 wrote: My father was killed in war and is buried in Belgium. Have you ever been there? Sorry to ask but do you have a grave to visit? We have nothing of my grandfather except his papers. I have a close friend who is a war biographer. He is doing auto-biography's of veterans as soon there won't be many left to tell their tales. He visits Belgium a great deal and helps vets get over there to pay their respects. :)
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

oscar;1151737 wrote: Have you ever been there? Sorry to ask but do you have a grave to visit? We have nothing of my grandfather except his papers. I have a close friend who is a war biographer. He is doing auto-biography's of veterans as soon there won't be many left to tell their tales. He visits Belgium a great deal and helps vets get over there to pay their respects. :)

2 years ago with my husband.

The grounds were very impressive, the personel there very helpful and I was glad to finally be there in person.

Oscar Namechange

Kindle;1151742 wrote: 2 years ago with my husband.

The grounds were very impressive, the personel there very helpful and I was glad to finally be there in person. Great news that you got there. :-6:-6
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1151669 wrote: The words you used were "evil" and "morally bankrupt." Don't start mincing now; own your words. Never once occurred to you? You are either a liar (which I personally believe) or so stupid and devoid of the most basic skills of empathy that you can't possibly understand an explanation why your words are offensive.

I'm done with you. You're dismissed.

What's so laughable is that I've spent years on this site arguing forcibly there's no such thing as evil, that the word has no application in life outside novels, that's it's inapplicable to any person ever born.

You're simply avoiding the issues in the thread, mate. How can you have entrusted yourself to the command of people like General Mattis or Donald Rumsfeld? People died because of the selfish me-first mentality of volunteers to the armed services. Rather than expressing remorse or shame you'd rather employ this flummery. You trivialize death, Accountable. I'd thought better of you.

As for the moral bankruptcy, yes, they're good words for what I'm describing.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1152136 wrote: What's so laughable is that I've spent years on this site arguing forcibly there's no such thing as evil, that the word has no application in life outside novels, that's it's inapplicable to any person ever born.And yet it's the word you used. Some would say laughable; some would say hypocritical. If you want to find morally bankrupt, look in the mirror.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;1152160 wrote: And yet it's the word you used. Some would say laughable; some would say hypocritical. If you want to find morally bankrupt, look in the mirror.

Agreed Accountable...thank you:-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Spot, I will not be responding to you again. Your self righeousness on issues and hatred of my country saddens and sickens me.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1152160 wrote: And yet it's the word you used. Some would say laughable; some would say hypocritical. If you want to find morally bankrupt, look in the mirror.

This is a serious discussion, Acc. The consequence of volunteering is the death of large numbers of people. I know you don't like to face reality but that's a fact. Defending the homeland is legitimate but the words have been made meaningless by the associated propaganda. Fighting in the Middle East is certainly not defending the homeland and there's no reasonable meaning of words which makes it so. Talking of military service in this context as honourable is just parroting unfounded unsupportable belief, it's "Go Team" rather than sense.

Do we regard the people who saw off the Russians during the 1980s in Afghanistan as brave patriots or religious fanatics. Because they're exactly the same people who are fighting back against mile-high bombers and A10 tankbusters at the moment in the same place and they're doing exactly the same today as they were doing in the 1980s. Was Reagan right? Were they brave heroes? Or were the Russians the brave forces trying to bring civilization and justice to a backward tyrannical part of the world?

The bias which describes them as brave patriots in the one context and Islamic fundamentalists trying to destroy the West in another is surely transparently obvious. People can't look at that impartially and at the same time support the Western deployment. That's why nobody's willing to discuss my question. All this talk of "I know the answer but I'll not say" is balderdash. Jester's a Christian literal-extremist with the most bigoted self-justifying interpretation of world events I've seen in my life and he accurately represents US opinion as far as I'm concerned.
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1152163 wrote: Spot, I will not be responding to you again. Your self righeousness on issues and hatred of my country saddens and sickens me.

Or, perhaps, you have no reasonable answer to my points.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1152165 wrote: Or, perhaps, you have no reasonable answer to my points.

No, perhaps everything I say to you falls on deaf ears because you don't care about anyone's opinions or thoughts.
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1152167 wrote: No, perhaps everything I say to you falls on deaf ears because you don't care about anyone's opinions or thoughts.

Why should I, Kathy Ellen? Every time I express an opinion I'm asked to back it up with facts. I see no facts whatever coming from your side of the argument, just an inherent assumption that Americans are better than other folks and consequently what's good for the goose isn't at all good for the gander. The legitimate way to ask these questions is "what if someone else did that, would we see the same justification?", especially if it were the same thing being done to you rather than by you. There's a complete lack of ability on your side of the pond to set aside "We're better than them" and that's where the blinkers come from. You don't ask the right questions. Your opinions are consequently biased.

Start from a different standpoint. Americans aren't better than everyone else. Other people have as much right to determine their own destinies as Americans have. Stay out of their affairs, let them get where they want to get to rather than where you want to put them. Manifest Destiny kills people. God is not partial toward Americans. How many ways does it need saying?

What sways me is logic, Kathy Ellen. Try logic and if you can cope with the idea, found it on facts we can all agree with. That will explain your opinions and thoughts, it will make them impressive rather than propagandist, it will change opinions rather than entrench them.

Return to “Warfare Military”