A View of the War

QUINNSCOMMENTARY

A View of the War

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

I am certain that if a person has not been in a war they cannot possibly have an understanding what it is like, I certainly can not. We read the headlines and see the number of people killed and the number wounded, killed we likely understand, wounded I suspect we underestimate the horror that may be.

Some of this was brought home to me through a relative who has had two tours in Iraq and is now in Afghanistan.

On his first tour he was going house to house, opened a door and his buddy standing next to him was shot dead, he was shot in the shoulder, after spending time in a hospital in Germany he was home for a month and then back to Iraq.

Then he learned that his best friend had been killed by a bomb, he was devistated and blamed himself because he was not there. He was selected to accompany the body home for the funeral.

Months later we learned it was really a memorial service because there was no body to bury. Over the next several months the family of the dead soldier would periodically receive a small package of ashes as the military identified body parts. Every time the family started the healing process another package would arrive until they finally could take it no longer and called and asked that the packages be stopped.

The last e-mail I received from this soldier he told me he was going in the field and would be out of contact for a month, let's hope.

Your don't read about this side of the war in the headlines, but we sure all know the numbers. :-1
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog

Return to “Warfare Military”