Peace at all Cost?

Accountable

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Accountable »

Just to muddy the war debate waters a bit, here's a more philosophical question.

It seems Spot wants to eradicate war, regardless of the outcome.

How valuable is the absence of war? Do you believe that if the US, UK, and allies stopped all military action that peace would reign?
RedGlitter

Peace at all Cost?

Post by RedGlitter »

Heck no. Not as long as we have crazies trying to overtake people and countries, stopping at no cost. A world without war would be lovely. But at this point it's far from realistic. Too much blame is being placed upon those fighting wars and too little is placed on those who caused them.
Raven

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Raven »

They tried that once. Hitler said it best. Peace is unsustainable.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Adam Zapple

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Adam Zapple »

Of course not. All one needs to do is look at the "peaceful" '90s when we suffered terrorists attacks almost yearly. Not to mention Somalia, Rwanda, Bosnia.......
Raven

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Raven »

Man has waged war since the start of time and boundries. It's the nature of man. That cant be changed.
chocoholic

Peace at all Cost?

Post by chocoholic »

Regrettably no I don't, there would still be religious bigots and racists who would ensure that conflicts continue.:(
Raven

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Raven »

But the extremism? I mean what is it that drives people to such profound hate of another kind? I think if we could answer that, then we would be well on the road to at least confing conflict to border disputes!
Adam Zapple

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Adam Zapple »

I wonder if anyone has ever studied all the wars going back several centuries. How many of those were religious wars and how many were started because of greed and power? I'm guessing greed and power trumps religion/extremism/hate as reasons that nations have gone to war. Just a guess.
Raven

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Raven »

I tend to think religion is just a cover for the real reason. Greed and expansion.
Accountable

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Accountable »

I'm disappointed the pacifists are giving this thread a pass.
koan

Peace at all Cost?

Post by koan »

Accountable wrote: Just to muddy the war debate waters a bit, here's a more philosophical question.
This seems like very murky water indeed. The first question is rhetorical and the second question had better not be philosophical. I'd like to think it's a possibility.

You make it sound like eradicating war is a bad concept. What outcome are you refering to? You also make it sound like you know what the outcome would be.

How valuable is the absence of war? Do you believe that if the US, UK, and allies stopped all military action that peace would reign?
The problem is about how valuable the presence of war is, to those who profit from it.

I believe it would be more peaceful, yes. There are always going to be disagreements but I believe the big wars can be avoided.

Big = thousands of lives lost
spot

Peace at all Cost?

Post by spot »

koan wrote: The first question is rhetorical and the second question had better not be philosophical. I'd like to think it's a possibility.It's only performance art, you know. Rhetoric. They used to teach it in ancient times, like PT. It's not about being right, they had philosophy for that. Rhetoric was their chat show. Bernard's indignation is a sort of aerobics for when he goes on television.

from Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia", Act 2 scene 5.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Accountable »

Like I said. :thinking:
nvalleyvee

Peace at all Cost?

Post by nvalleyvee »

Accountable wrote: Just to muddy the war debate waters a bit, here's a more philosophical question.

Oh excuse me............When did the US start anything..........maybe we shouldn't try to finish anything......maybe we should be isolationists again.

Can you say Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Truely do you not think the US is KIND now...............I DO.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Lulu2

Peace at all Cost?

Post by Lulu2 »

If you look at our fellow apes, you see that ''wars'' are fought for breeding rights and territory. I'm not sure if there's an equivalent here for breeding rights, but "territory" certainly encompasses greed, oil and other resources, spreading religion and tribalism.

So, if all strife stopped today, I fear it'd begin again in a short time. I've long believed that people in the Middle East have become so "attached" to war they cannot and will not stop. It's a way of life...a culture, if you will.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
spot

Peace at all Cost?

Post by spot »

Lulu2 wrote: So, if all strife stopped today, I fear it'd begin again in a short time. I've long believed that people in the Middle East have become so "attached" to war they cannot and will not stop. It's a way of life...a culture, if you will.Good lord - this from an American? Have you no idea at all how many wars the US has been engaged in since, for example, 1950? Which other nation has come remotely close?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Peace at all Cost?

Post by koan »

Accountable wrote: Like I said. :thinking:

Like you said...nothing?

philosophically, a " :thinking: " is not really saying anything. Yet it does have an expression. But the expression is one of not speaking. So does the expression carry any sort of statement at all?

Thought I'd actually add a bit of philosophy to this non-philosophical thread.
chuk

Peace at all Cost?

Post by chuk »

hello fellow bloggers i am new to this conversation but i am no fool on the ground. i think we are not making progress where it is most vital because america is focusing on bending its policies to yield to common solution. for thousands of years we have learned these lessons on a global scale but what would happen if the un withdrew all of its forces and allowed "nature" to run its course in the middle east, tended to our own borders and allowed them to come to us ... we are developing some wonderful new technology.:lips: we need to stop being nosy and when they come.. and they probably would then we will do what is neccessary.

Return to “Warfare Military”