Why? Here's why:

spot

Why? Here's why:

Post by spot »

Scrat wrote: The soldiers run around giving kids candy. That's absolutely idiotic. 10 years from now their teeth will be rotting out of their heads and there will be no dentists around.Come on Scrat, be fair, there's nothing as malicious as that involved. The groundtroops there routinely hand out candy to kids so that they'll have a cluster of kids near them, to ward off snipeing or mortars. It's the nearest they can get to forming a sporadic civilian protective shield without being overtly tyrannical. Nobody, surely, thinks that they'd put the kids' dental hygiene at risk.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Why? Here's why:

Post by spot »

Scrat wrote: I don't believe that, as low as some of them will go, they won't do that. I have seen evidence in sniper videos that it doesn't work anyway. Snipers are good shots.I must have acquired an Urban Legend then, if you say so. I did have a fair idea that snipers were sufficiently accurate to make the shield immaterial, but I'd naively assumed that no sniper would allow herself to traumatise the kids by killing someone who was stood so close. Actually, I still think that, but I concede I may be wrong and that it's not black and white.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
BabyRider

Why? Here's why:

Post by BabyRider »

Scrat wrote: No, the video I saw was very clear. The sniper had nothing against shooting a soldier within sight of a child or people. He did not take a shot at one soldier because he was surrounded by people. One soldier walked towards him and put himself in the open and he took the shot. I'll PM you the vid. Idon't think it should be posted here.
Would you send me the video, too, please?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

spot

Why? Here's why:

Post by spot »

Please, no - if I want something like that I'll go and download it but seriously, it's not what I do to my mind. I have a far more delicate nature than I (apparently, unwittingly and to my horror) display.
Accountable

Why? Here's why:

Post by Accountable »

spot wrote: Come on Scrat, be fair, there's nothing as malicious as that involved. The groundtroops there routinely hand out candy to kids so that they'll have a cluster of kids near them, to ward off snipeing or mortars. It's the nearest they can get to forming a sporadic civilian protective shield without being overtly tyrannical. Nobody, surely, thinks that they'd put the kids' dental hygiene at risk.
You've crossed my line with this, Spot. :mad:
spot

Why? Here's why:

Post by spot »

Accountable wrote: You've crossed my line with this, Spot. :mad:That is a matter of some regret to me then. I had a particular incident in mind. It was a rather graphic television news story at the time, and it sticks in the memory. The articles are from the same week, but I can't find a transcript of the program I actually saw.

The Seattle Times

July 14, 2005 Thursday

... most residents of the neighborhood blamed American soldiers at least in part and said they wanted them off their streets.

"The killer is unknown but the motive is brought by the U.S.," Raed Abdullah, 33, said as he paid respects to a mourning father.

Ali Abdul Kadhel, 27, carried one of the small bodies after the attack and watched a piece of candy fall from the child's pocket.

"I found the bait that the Americans gave to the children to bring them to their death," he yelled as he carried the candy through the street.

Residents said one soldier had yelled into a loudspeaker and told residents to open their windows and doors. Then they began to hand out toys, candy and water.

"They used the children as human shields," Kadhel said, yelling and waving his arm.CBS EVENING NEWS, CBS TV, 6.30 PM, JULY 19, 2005

KIMBERLY DOZIER: Most Iraqis didn't see today's attacks up- close. They were distant bangs and booms launched by a nameless, faceless enemy. But no one likes fighting ghosts. It makes them feel even more helpless. So Iraqis often lash out at those they can see - usually, the Americans. They come up with wild theories blaming the troops for the hell Iraq has become.

For instance, after that horrific suicide attack that killed so many children clustered around American soldiers giving out candy, this man claimed the troops lured the kids close to use them as human shields.

That may sound nuts to an American ear, but in an upscale coffee shop, we found Iraqis who believed it.

UNIDENTIFIED IRAQI WOMAN: The Americans try to use our child to help them, to protect themselves.
Accountable

Why? Here's why:

Post by Accountable »

Scrat wrote: AC. Put yourself in the shoes of a soldier, what would you do to survive? How far would you go? I can't even answer that question.
I'm a 21-year veteran of my United States Air Force. I wear the shoes of a soldier. I won't try to convince or persuade you of anything military-related -- you who can imagine the unimaginable.

I'll limit my serious conversations with you to individual responsibility, Scrat. I think that may be the only arena where there is any hope of agreement.
spot

Why? Here's why:

Post by spot »

BabyRider wrote: completely uninformed about what our soldiers do, what they are, and why they do it.Transcript quotes from the documentary I had in mind, then. I recall him using these words to camera during the interview.

Jody Casey, a 29 year-old veteran of the occupation of Iraq, said, "I have seen innocent people being killed. IEDs go off and [you] just zap any farmer that is close to you. You know, those people were out there trying to make a living, but on the other hand, you get hit by four or five of those IEDs and you get pretty tired of that, too."

While he didn't participate in such killings himself, Casey said that the overall atmosphere in Iraq was such that "you could basically kill whoever you wanted - it was that easy. You did not even have to get off and dig a hole or anything. All you had to do was have some kind of picture. You're driving down the road at three in the morning. There's a guy on the side of the road, you shoot him ... you throw a shovel off."

According to Casey, his unit had been advised by troops who had previously served in the area [al-Anbar province] to keep shovels on their vehicles. Each time an innocent Iraqi is killed, a shovel thrown next to the body is evidence that the dead civilian, when killed, was in the act of digging holes to plant roadside bombs.

Return to “Warfare Military”