Soldiers Lose Custody

Peg

Soldiers Lose Custody

Post by Peg »

This story infuriates me. http://www.wtov9.com/family/8079829/detail.html

Military Does Not Offer Assistance

UPDATED: 11:43 am EST March 17, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Two Kansas City-area women are fighting to get their children back after serving their country overseas.

When Dena Stephenson went off to war, her 6-year-old daughter, Kristina, went to stay with her father. Stephenson followed the military's Family Care Plan, which gave temporary power of attorney and guardianship of her child to the father.

"Once I came back from deployment, naturally, my child wanted to be with me nonstop," Stephenson said.

Stephenson said she was supposed to get Kristina back when she returned home, but now the girl's father is asking for 50-50 custody.

"I don't agree with that as a parenting plan. I don't think it's healthy for the child and I've already missed a year of her life," Stephenson said. "It hurts me that he's trying to do this, and in the long run, I think it's going to hurt her, too."

Regina Ellis is going through a similar experience. She was deployed overseas for a year, and she also followed the Family Care Plan. Now that she's back, Ellis has lost custody of her son, Trevor.

This month, her ex-husband gained full-time custody, and Ellis said she sees Trevor only every other weekend.

"It's not just us and it's not just the Army and it's not just females -- this is military-wide, and it hurts," Ellis said.

Both Ellis and Stephenson are fighting their cases in court this spring.

Regina Ellis and Dena Stephenson

KMBC-TV in Kansas City, Mo., reported that a law passed in 2003 is supposed to protect soldiers in war zones from civil lawsuits until they return. But now that law is being challenged in Kansas courts.

There is also a case pending before the Kansas Supreme Court about a Marine who lost custody of his son while he was in Iraq.

"If I'd never been deployed to Iraq, I don't think we'd be going through this," Stephenson said.

A spokeswoman at Fort Riley said returning soldiers are offered re-entry counseling, but no legal assistance in civil matters.
minks

Soldiers Lose Custody

Post by minks »

How sad. These poor children. Children need both parents as much as they can get them, and how miserable of the partner who is non-military to steal from the parent that is away.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LilacDragon

Soldiers Lose Custody

Post by LilacDragon »

KMBC-TV in Kansas City, Mo., reported that a law passed in 2003 is supposed to protect soldiers in war zones from civil lawsuits until they return. But now that law is being challenged in Kansas courts.

How could one possibly expect a soldier to defend himself in a civil lawsuit when he is deployed to a WAR ZONE!!

I can understand the military not supplying lawyers to help defend soldiers from this type of thing. Military lawyers are just like other soldiers - moving every couple of years to different bases/posts in different states or countries. It would be very difficult for a lawyer to become thoroughly aquainted with the laws of each individual state with regards to family law issues to provide a decent defense. But lawyers who DO know the laws of the State are very expensive and the military should help cover those expenses for soldiers who are having problems like this due to a deployment.
Sandi

OpenMind

Soldiers Lose Custody

Post by OpenMind »

Having served your country and especially after placing your life on the line, shouldn't the country be prepared to help you get your life back on line as it was before.

Sorry, we're talking about politicians here. Politicians who rule the country and use the citizens as their little play pieces for their wargames. Backup? Leave it out, you're only a stupid pawn.
Accountable

Soldiers Lose Custody

Post by Accountable »

That's f*cked up, getting kicked in the teeth by the very person that's supposed to have your back. :mad:

Once again, the politicians aren't going to do anything if they don't think they have any stake in it. Call and write your congressmen and demand action.
chonsigirl

Soldiers Lose Custody

Post by chonsigirl »

This is a sad story, I do not see how they can take custody away from them while serving their country.

Return to “Warfare Military”