Another Apology

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The database went down again :-(



All fixed now but we will investigate why and how we can stop it happening again.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Another Apology

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Since it did, there has been a message on my address bar informing me this site is "Not secure."
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1520333 wrote: Since it did, there has been a message on my address bar informing me this site is "Not secure."


Oh, thanks for that - at a guess it either means that the security certificate is off kilter or that your browser doesn't like putting a password into a non-https page. I'll look into it.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1520334 wrote: Oh, thanks for that - at a guess it either means that the security certificate is off kilter or that your browser doesn't like putting a password into a non-https page. I'll look into it.


Which begs the question, are you using http://www.forumgarden.com or https://www.forumgarden.com?

Looking at it, my browser is reporting a security exception saying that the certificate is self signed which should not be the case - I'll dig further.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1520335 wrote: Which begs the question, are you using http://www.forumgarden.com or https://www.forumgarden.com?

Looking at it, my browser is reporting a security exception saying that the certificate is self signed which should not be the case - I'll dig further.


The loss of the security certificate was related to the original move and should now be sorted.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I've just changed the setup to push the Garden into using HTTPS instead of HTTP to make better use of the available security. Could anyone who notices any problems associated with this please post them here.
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bruv »

I have just tried to use a smiley (which I only ever very seldom do) but they are not working.



And......after posting this, I had to refresh to see it.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1520360 wrote: I have just tried to use a smiley (which I only ever very seldom do) but they are not working.



And......after posting this, I had to refresh to see it.


No progress on the caching problem yet :-5
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1520360 wrote: I have just tried to use a smiley (which I only ever very seldom do) but they are not working.



And......after posting this, I had to refresh to see it.


:wah::-5;):-1

OK, you can enter them manually and they appear to work from "Go Advanced" but did not work automatically the first time I tried to enter one - again, I'll investigate.
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bruv »

To be fair I rarely use them, it the having to refresh to view what I had just posted that was a concern.

Same as New posts only register my post after a refresh.....same as before.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1520363 wrote: To be fair I rarely use them, it the having to refresh to view what I had just posted that was a concern.

Same as New posts only register my post after a refresh.....same as before.


I know, this caching problem is aggravating to say the least - we're working on it but it could take some time.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Another Apology

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Site not secured notice on address bar is now gone. FG address appears with https. Thanks, Bryn.
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12306
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Another Apology

Post by LarsMac »

Things seem to be going along pretty well, until this morning.

I always use "New Posts"

This morning after reading all of the recently updated threads, When I click New Posts, I still have two threads showing, even though I have read through them. I should be seeing "No new items" message.

If I click the new posts in the left of the Header, I see these two threads, but if I click the new posts link under my avatar, I get the message that there are no new items to view.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1520414 wrote: Things seem to be going along pretty well, until this morning.

I always use "New Posts"

This morning after reading all of the recently updated threads, When I click New Posts, I still have two threads showing, even though I have read through them. I should be seeing "No new items" message.

If I click the new posts in the left of the Header, I see these two threads, but if I click the new posts link under my avatar, I get the message that there are no new items to view.
OK, the New Posts in the header executes "search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post", what does the one under your avatar read?
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15887
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Another Apology

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1520421 wrote: OK, the New Posts in the header executes "search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post", what does the one under your avatar read?


Ah, I see the one you mean, it executes "search.php?do=getnew" I'll see if I can find out how to change it.
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12306
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Another Apology

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1520427 wrote: Ah, I see the one you mean, it executes "search.php?do=getnew" I'll see if I can find out how to change it.


Interesting recent development.

When replying to a thread, today, it takes me to the larger edit page, rather than the inline editing mode.

Also, smilies and inserting images seem to be disabled.

This was working yesterday.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir

Return to “News and Announcements”