Please remove your hotlinks...

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Hi Everyone,

I received two more emails this morning from sites complaining of our users pulling images via HOTLINKING. See "Site Rules" above if you need to learn more about this.

We do not support hotlinking - so please modify your signature files so that they are hosted here locally.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

flopstock wrote: So, has that 'site rules' thing been up there very long?... I may have missed it prior to this.:D

Pretty much eliminates anything I have to say...:-3 :wah:

The "site rules" has been up there for about a week. :yh_eyebro
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Tombstone, does that go for the bunnyhero lab critters too?

*holding breath*
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

chonsigirl wrote: Tombstone, does that go for the bunnyhero lab critters too?

*holding breath*

Those should be o.k. since the site is setup specifically for linking to an account you control.
koan

Post by koan »

Haven't been able to hang out here much this week but the Site Rules look great.

A question about the sigs. Does this mean it's safe to view sigs again? I had it turned off because some of them took up half the page. Are they really all within a size limit now?
abbey

Post by abbey »

What's a hotlink?
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I have absolutely no idea what this means, Tombstone! Have I been an offender, somehow? If so, I'm sorry.

Love,

Dora Dense
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

I am pretty computer illiterate, so I am not sure about all of this hotlinking stuff.

Can I put in something from my photobucket account? I did once before, but someone sent me a not so nice pm so I took it out. But right there in photobucket it gives you the url to post in other places. So, is it hotlinking or not?

Thanks.
Sandi

weber

Post by weber »

Bringing anything in from photobucket or other image hosting system is okay.

Using the uploading system here is okay.

I am quite sure of these things.

I think it is hotlinking to copy the address of a page and put it here....I think....am not sure?

I know it is hotlinking to copy a picture and directly post it here. I think I have been hotlinking sometimes when I am lazy.
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
weber

Post by weber »

Wendybird wrote: Ok I have read the hotlink rules and I don't think I am breaking them by using a photohost program for my sig am I? :confused:

Can somebody PM me if there is a problem or a delay with my sig? I don't want to take up this thread on my sig if there is a problem. If there is a delay or if you get problems etc I would appreciate you letting me know.

Tombstone, I would appreciate it if you let me know if my sig is breaking the rules. (will you spank me if it is? :sneaky: )

;)

Wendy

Your sig comes from photobucket...that is okay.

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

weber wrote: Bringing anything in from photobucket or other image hosting system is okay.

Using the uploading system here is okay.

I am quite sure of these things.

I think it is hotlinking to copy the address of a page and put it here....I think....am not sure?

I know it is hotlinking to copy a picture and directly post it here. I think I have been hotlinking sometimes when I am lazy.

Thank you!!
Sandi

weber

Post by weber »

Bringing in from BestSmileys and places like that which are geared for bringing to sites, that's okay. They say right on their site that it is okay.

Ooooops using photobucket didn't work for those candles in my siggie.

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

LilacDragon wrote: ICan I put in something from my photobucket account? I did once before, but someone sent me a not so nice pm so I took it out.

What kind of a jerk would send a not-very-nice PM about something like that?

I go back to my 'content' vs. 'form' argument

BE NICE PEOPLE! Jeez . . .
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

These posts are making me wonder just what IS "ok." I'll be the very first to admit I'm not computer literate, and probably need basic instructions on what is and what isn't acceptable...please.

Sorry to be,

Yours truly,

Imogene Incompetent
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
G-man

Post by G-man »

You're fine Tmbsgrl... nothing wrong with Photobucket as long as it's linked to your account... it's mostly about bandwidth theft. Some people need to pay for this (and some of us pay quite a bit, too ...you'd be surprised.) ...and if you've ever maintained your own forum... it costs money... and even when it's free... it takes away from other folks limited free space... not to even mention all the security and privacy issues... it's basicly rude and it's expensive.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

weber

Post by weber »

Lulu2 wrote: These posts are making me wonder just what IS "ok." I'll be the very first to admit I'm not computer literate, and probably need basic instructions on what is and what isn't acceptable...please.

Sorry to be,

Yours truly,

Imogene Incompetent

I try.

It is okay to bring a picture right into your post if it is from photobucket or other image hosting site you might have. It is okay to bring a picture from your My Pictures or whatever by using the manage attachments found by scrolling down below submit. You do not see those pictures until after posting.

It is okay to get the properties URL of a picture and using manage attachments, put it in the URL place and upload. Probably don't see the picture until posted.

I think other methods are not permitted, well we all do our best and if we make a mistake, it's okay. Someone else may give you better ideas.

I used to get the properties URL and put [img] before and after but I think that is hotlinking so I don't do it anymore. Most of what you are seeing are managed attachments.

Just remembered. BestSmileys is okay. Places like that tell you that it is okay to link from them.

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

OK..so, is it all about posting photos here? If I link to my yahoo photos, to show my garden or something....is that ok?

Honestly Ignorant....

Dora Dummy
weber

Post by weber »

Lulu2 wrote: OK..so, is it all about posting photos here? If I link to my yahoo photos, to show my garden or something....is that ok?

Honestly Ignorant....

Dora Dummy

If yahoo is where you are storing your pictures, yes. When you go to your yahoo pictures, beneath each picture is there three choices, URL, , or [img] with a line of description and you can click on whichever one you want and copy and bring here and paste. That is like photobucket and is okay. But if you have to add the [img] here, I think that is hotlinking.

Do you understand the manage attachments?

The idea is that your pictures have to come from an image hosting account site that you have or they have to go through manage attachments.

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

EEEEK! I don't understand any of this. I'm sorry. I'm probably an offender. :( I've posted links to my photos on yahoo.
weber

Post by weber »

Lulu2 wrote: EEEEK! I don't understand any of this. I'm sorry. I'm probably an offender. :( I've posted links to my photos on yahoo.

Now don't get upset because as you can see by the difference in photos in the posting, we were all most of us me for sure doing it wrong so take it easy and we'll figure it out.

Photobucket costs absolutely nothing and that is where I put my pictures, images. It is easy to put them in, easy to delete them. If your yahoo is not an image hosting site for you to get an account(no money required), then it is time to get photobucket or something.

Do you keep pictures and images in your Documents, under different headings for folders? I don't know if I can teach you. Someone here can.

In the meantime, keep doing what you are doing, It's okay until you get straightened out.

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I hope I'm not infringing anything by copying and pasting the fourth portion of the Site Rules. It's specific about what can be in signatures and will mean changes for those of us who have multiple graphics. As I read it, we are restricted to a single image from an approved source. Is that how you read it, Weber?

"4. Signature Rules :

4.1 Size Limits: All signatures should not exceed the following size limits:

Just Text: 8 lines small size or 4 lines size 2 and up to 90 chars per line

Just Image: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size

Text and Image: 4 lines (or 2 with Textsize 2) and one image (in a new line) up to 300 pixels wide, 75 pixels tall and 20k in size.

( Empty lines are counted as well.) "
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

AussiePam wrote: I hope I'm not infringing anything by copying and pasting the fourth portion of the Site Rules. It's specific about what can be in signatures and will mean changes for those of us who have multiple graphics. As I read it, we are restricted to a single image from an approved source. Is that how you read it, Weber?

"4. Signature Rules :

Text and Image: 4 lines (or 2 with Textsize 2) and one image (in a new line) up to 300 pixels wide, 75 pixels tall and 20k in size.

We can only have one image????? :eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tombstone - can you show examples of what we're allowed to have please?

Just to clarify?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I didn't read all of this, just the last few posts, so sorry if I rehash somethign. I save whatever photo I want to post, to my hard drive. Then when I post, I click the paperclip button and one of the browse buttons, find & upload the pic, then close the window. Clicking on the paperclip again brings up the list of pics I've just uploaded and I can drop them in anywhere I want.

Of course it doesn't work for the signature area.
Raven

Post by Raven »

All this gives me a headache. My sig comes from google images. all the rest of my pics are on my hardrive or in photobucket. I think it's all a bunch *****. Doesnt everyone pay for their internet anyway? So how is it stealing, if I am already paying for the service? If they dont want my hits, then they can get off my search engine! I pay to be on it! :yh_bigsmi
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, I think then that most of our sig's will be DQ'd..................:-1
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Raven wrote: All this gives me a headache. My sig comes from google images. all the rest of my pics are on my hardrive or in photobucket. I think it's all a bunch *****. Doesnt everyone pay for their internet anyway? So how is it stealing, if I am already paying for the service? If they dont want my hits, then they can get off my search engine! I pay to be on it! :yh_bigsmiI right-clicked on your raven, Raven (hope I wasn't being too forward :yh_blush) then clicked properties. There is a link:

http://www.benrey.com/birds/raven.gif

So that, I suppose, there is at least one bit of bandwidth used up every time somebody displays one of your posts. Imagine that with all the posters we have. :yh_think

Of course, all of this is guessing and conjecture for me. I know nuttin' for sure.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

Don't you take my Archie away, Tombstone!!!!:sneaky:
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Oh.......I'm sorry....I thought it said Please remove your cufflinks :o

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

If I remove my hotlinks I cant have them for breakfast because they wont be cooked. :-1

HBIC
weber

Post by weber »

AussiePam wrote: I hope I'm not infringing anything by copying and pasting the fourth portion of the Site Rules. It's specific about what can be in signatures and will mean changes for those of us who have multiple graphics. As I read it, we are restricted to a single image from an approved source. Is that how you read it, Weber?

"4. Signature Rules :

That's how I see it Most Great Aussie Lady Pam....you are smart indeed. I did not see that.

Next question: Can I go copy an address URL for a page and paste it here? Is that moot? Your clear mind will seek that out for me.:)

Return to “News and Announcements”