regarding PM's

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
anastrophe

regarding PM's

Post by anastrophe »

a reminder: PM stands for "Private Messaging". Private cuts in all directions - what you PM to somebody else is private - but that means that what someone else PM's to you is private, and is not to be shared with anyone else - by any mechanism, posting or via PM - without the original author's consent.

We don't monitor or control PM's. It's not practical to do so, nor is it something we want to do. However, we *do* have the ability to read PM's if necessary or warranted, either due to a complaint or due to a request from law enforcement (upon presentment of a sworn subpoena, and that has never happened).

down at the bottom of every single page on forum garden is a link to "legal info". within that, is a link to our terms of service. read both pages. it's a buncha legalese, primarily to cover our asses. but it does affect you.

of course, if you just use common sense, about 85% of it will already be covered. don't violate confidences. be nice to one another. don't drink month old milk. objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
spot

regarding PM's

Post by spot »

May I ask the purpose of the Control Button marked "Forward" in the PM space? Perhaps that causes confusion - the site's provision of the facility to pass PMs on.

(added on edit): Since this matter causes such continuous friction, perhaps you could revisit your reason for setting the site policy that way. Perhaps a free-for-all on sharing PMs (though not posting them in public) would make a lot more sense and free you from so many complaints to investigate?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
anastrophe

regarding PM's

Post by anastrophe »

spot wrote: May I ask the purpose of the Control Button marked "Forward" in the PM space? Perhaps that causes confusion - the site's provision of the facility to pass PMs on.

(added on edit): Since this matter causes such continuous friction, perhaps you could revisit your reason for setting the site policy that way. Perhaps a free-for-all on sharing PMs (though not posting them in public) would make a lot more sense and free you from so many complaints to investigate?

if we got a lot of complaints, we might. but we don't get very many complaints at all. rarer than hen's teeth.
spot

regarding PM's

Post by spot »

anastrophe wrote: if we got a lot of complaints, we might. but we don't get very many complaints at all. rarer than hen's teeth.I think the sharing prohibition rule is actually responsible for a lot of the friction. The fuss is that some people are trying to get other people banned, by proving that the other people shared PM text with yet further members but without consent of the original writer. It's been going on for a year at least. The trying to get someone banned technique to end a fight is particularly horrible. You admins retain full flexibility when it comes to punishment for a given offence, of course, so there's a sensible backstop to it all.

None of this is about violating confidences, all of it is about passing round threats and abuse. I suggest there would be a lot less threats and abuse without the existing rule.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
anastrophe

regarding PM's

Post by anastrophe »

spot wrote: I think the sharing prohibition rule is actually responsible for a lot of the friction. The fuss is that some people are trying to get other people banned, by proving that the other people shared PM text with yet further members but without consent of the original writer. It's been going on for a year at least. The trying to get someone banned technique to end a fight is particularly horrible. You admins retain full flexibility when it comes to punishment for a given offence, of course, so there's a sensible backstop to it all.

None of this is about violating confidences, all of it is about passing round threats and abuse. I suggest there would be a lot less threats and abuse without the existing rule.

there'd be a lot less threats and abuse if we spiked the water with ecstasy, too. we're looking into it.

yes, i'm being flip. as i said, complaints are rare. most FGers have bigger fish to fry than these petty 'maybe i can get someone who gets under my skin banned' squabbles.

me, i think i'll order a pizza.
spot

regarding PM's

Post by spot »

anastrophe wrote: me, i think i'll order a pizza.Fair enough. I thought I'd wave it in the air and see if anyone was impressed.
abbey

regarding PM's

Post by abbey »

Pinky wrote: Funny enough, I just had a pm which the writer has asked me to post, regarding pm's! Of course I won't, even though the sender requested it.

The overall content was about people PM'ing each other trying to get other members banned.

I think this is absolutely abhorrent - I hate to think any of our FG family would do that to one another.Why did'nt the writer post it :confused:
chonsigirl

regarding PM's

Post by chonsigirl »

Something is fishy, and it's not the anchovies.....................

Pepperoni for me, please.:)
abbey

regarding PM's

Post by abbey »

Pinky wrote: They kind of did!Yes?

Guess i spend too much time in the arcade :)
abbey

regarding PM's

Post by abbey »

I do surface now & again :wah:

Actually, this thread has prompted me to empty my pm box, i had 1800+ in it!

it was nice looking at some of my old messages from LC and capt buzzard. :-4
anastrophe

regarding PM's

Post by anastrophe »

Pinky wrote: I can't join in...I really can't stand cheese!:(

SHRIEK!

Seriously? you don't like cheese? i can't imagine life without cheese. i gave up cheese for several years after i became lactose intolerant in my early twenties. then the lactase supplements came out, and i again could enjoy cheese, CHEESE, CHEESE!!!!!
BabyRider

regarding PM's

Post by BabyRider »

This is turning into one of the cheesiest threads I've ever seen...:yh_eyerol
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

abbey

regarding PM's

Post by abbey »

Clancy wrote: Huh oh, :lips:

......some of my PM's to you were a bit, erm, :lips:

Am I in trouble ?

-

-

-

-

-Taxi for Clancy :driving:I saved yours hon, just could'nt bear to erase them. :yh_wink
abbey

regarding PM's

Post by abbey »

SnoozeControl wrote: I want to marry a hyena.!!! :confused:
sunny104

regarding PM's

Post by sunny104 »

Clancy wrote: I want to sleep with a tall woman. :)
'kay! :-4

where shall we meet?
chonsigirl

regarding PM's

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: Still cracks me up!
sunny104

regarding PM's

Post by sunny104 »

Clancy wrote: Your place. :)

......but you never asked, why I wanted to sleep with a tall woman :-2
:yh_blush :-3
sunny104

regarding PM's

Post by sunny104 »

Clancy wrote: I just wanted to see if tall women slept, L o n g e r in the morning.....that's all :p :)

:wah: :D
valerie

regarding PM's

Post by valerie »

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Sheryl

regarding PM's

Post by Sheryl »

did I hear pizza???

lot's of canadian bacon and pineapple on mine please sir. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
koan

regarding PM's

Post by koan »

valerie wrote:

I congratulate you on one of the cleverest smilies I've seen in some time.

Well done.

:D
Bryn Mawr

regarding PM's

Post by Bryn Mawr »

anastrophe wrote: SHRIEK!

Seriously? you don't like cheese? i can't imagine life without cheese. i gave up cheese for several years after i became lactose intolerant in my early twenties. then the lactase supplements came out, and i again could enjoy cheese, CHEESE, CHEESE!!!!!

Paul,

Many thanks for your pointer to Lactase suppliments.

I've managed to track down the UK equivalent (MilkAid) for my daughter and it's made a huge difference - she can go out for a meal without worrying and we can get some calcium and protien into her again.

Return to “News and Announcements”