Russian Gummint quits?

Discuss the latest political news.
LarsMac

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by LarsMac »

This was an interesting thing to find, first thing this AM.

Russian government resigns as Vladimir Putin plans future

Russia's government has resigned, hours after President Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping constitutional changes that could prolong his stay in power.

PM Dmitry Medvedev said the president's proposals would significantly change Russia's balance of power.

Mr Putin asked Mr Medvedev to become deputy head of the National Security Council, which is chaired by Mr Putin.

The president later nominated tax service chief Mikhail Mishustin to replace Mr Medvedev as prime minister.

The unexpected announcement comes four years before Mr Putin's fourth term of office is due to end.

Under the existing constitution, he would not be entitled to another term.

The Russian leader said during a speech to both chambers of parliament that there would be a nationwide vote on changes that would shift power from the presidency to parliament.

Russian government sources told the BBC that ministers did not know about the government's resignation ahead of the announcement.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by tabby »

Lars, I thought this would be a bigger news story than it has turned out to be. Aside from the initial reports, I've seen little to no coverage of the event. Not sure if that's by design or simple disinterest. Putin is very wily to say the least and I would expect more interest in the maneuverings of their government.
LarsMac

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by LarsMac »

I agree. It seems rather spooky that so little reacion has been reported.

"Russian government sources told the BBC that ministers did not know about the government's resignation ahead of the announcement."

I've read that line a dozen times, and it seems weirder the more often that I read it.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by tabby »

It does sound weird and slightly incredible.

There's nothing to see here, move along! :)
gmc

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by gmc »

I'm more concerned about trump wrecking the us constitution and (I see his defence team now claim abuse of power is not impeachable) what will happen if he doesn't win the next election or he loses it (again) and wins by the electoral college votes. His followers are armed and not very sane .

Meanwhile in the UK we have a fascist government in control goodbye NHS, Human rights legislation employment protection legislation health and safety legislation. Russia might invade ukraine or try and take back it's old empire but I doubt it. Russian politics are the least of the things we have to worry about
tude dog

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1529622 wrote: This was an interesting thing to find, first thing this AM.

Russian government resigns as Vladimir Putin plans future

Russia's government has resigned, hours after President Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping constitutional changes that could prolong his stay in power.

PM Dmitry Medvedev said the president's proposals would significantly change Russia's balance of power.

Mr Putin asked Mr Medvedev to become deputy head of the National Security Council, which is chaired by Mr Putin.

The president later nominated tax service chief Mikhail Mishustin to replace Mr Medvedev as prime minister.

The unexpected announcement comes four years before Mr Putin's fourth term of office is due to end.

Under the existing constitution, he would not be entitled to another term.

The Russian leader said during a speech to both chambers of parliament that there would be a nationwide vote on changes that would shift power from the presidency to parliament.

Russian government sources told the BBC that ministers did not know about the government's resignation ahead of the announcement.

Ido not follow Russian politics.

Reminds me of the old days of figuring who is on the in or out on May Day.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1529736 wrote: I'm more concerned about trump wrecking the us constitution

He has many claims, wrecking the Constituton would not only a biggie under his belt but be the end of our Republic.

gmc;1529736 wrote: and (I see his defence team now claim abuse of power is not impeachable)

If it were just about everey preisidnet could be removed.

gmc;1529736 wrote: what will happen if he doesn't win the next election or he loses it (again) and wins by the electoral college votes. His followers are armed and not very sane .

? ? ?

Meanwhile in the UK we have a fascist government in control goodbye NHS, Human rights legislation employment protection legislation health and safety legislation. Russia might invade ukraine or try and take back it's old empire but I doubt it. Russian politics are the least of the things we have to worry about[/QUOTE]
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1529740 wrote: Ido not follow Russian politics.

Reminds me of the old days of figuring who is on the in or out on May Day.

You don't have to be a student of Russian politics to see the oddity of that article.

Just slowly read each of those sentences and study what they are actually saying. And then think about the message in the article.

Obviously, Russia does things a bit differently that many other countries.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by Saint_ »

tabby;1529688 wrote: Lars, I thought this would be a bigger news story than it has turned out to be. Aside from the initial reports, I've seen little to no coverage of the event. Not sure if that's by design or simple disinterest. Putin is very wily to say the least and I would expect more interest in the maneuverings of their government.

I agree...it is weird that this was glossed over and forgotten. To me, it's clearly Putin trying to make sure he still has hands on the reins of power even after he expires his term limits. But he can't outright make himself dictator...too many people remember Stalin.

Or CAN he?!
gmc

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1529752 wrote: I agree...it is weird that this was glossed over and forgotten. To me, it's clearly Putin trying to make sure he still has hands on the reins of power even after he expires his term limits. But he can't outright make himself dictator...too many people remember Stalin.

Or CAN he?!

Yes he can.

Trump is going for it in america hope he hets stopped.
tabby

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by tabby »

Saint_;1529752 wrote: I agree...it is weird that this was glossed over and forgotten. To me, it's clearly Putin trying to make sure he still has hands on the reins of power even after he expires his term limits. But he can't outright make himself dictator...too many people remember Stalin.

Or CAN he?!

I think you hit the nail on the head as to motive although I think he's already unofficially in dictator mode. This move would just somehow cement it ... still unofficially, of course.

At the risk of sounding naive, I can't see him slaughtering his people en masse like Stalin. He's more of a "a dissident here, a political rival there" kind of guy.

As an aside, I always get a kick out of the occasional photo that appears showing him chuckling or even just smiling. He looks slightly uncomfortable doing so and gives the impression he's not fully certain how.

He's a very interesting person ... in a Cersei kind of way.
Ahso!

Russian Gummint quits?

Post by Ahso! »

Putin saved his country from being completely ravaged by western interests. Putin is a villain to most Americans, though I suspect he's more of a hero to his own people.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Current Political Events”