On the departure of Theresa May from Downing Street

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Post by spot »

I note the following observation in today's Guardian.

There is no evidence that the nation thinks warmly of her, although there is respect for her tenacity, stamina and probity. It is easy to find critics of her judgment, but no one thinks she has been venal. Critics who think her principles were the wrong ones acknowledge at least the aspiration to be principled.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/co ... y-her-shot

If I may offer an alternative view: No. I can think of no Prime Minister during my lifetime who has caused such sustained unprincipled damage to the British public than she has. Nothing else she has done or failed to do has been remotely as important as her long-term attack on immigrants living in Britain.

Theresa May will carry her "hostile environment" through the history books like a millstone, and so she ought. Even compared with Margaret Thatchers "there's no such thing as society", Theresa May's hostile environment caused more harm. The Home Office should have refused to comply. Her instruction was not a political act, it was a crime. How on earth did she expect her unaccountable dogs to behave once they'd been hyped up, empowered and unleashed.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

She will also go down as the prime minister that ended the uk union. Not to include the devolved parliaments in discussions may well be the last straw as well the sight of toery MP's telling scots MP's to go home.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, rumor has it that Boris Johnson might be the next PM.

That could be fun. Right?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Far preferable to having Jeremy Hunt as PM, and Jeremy Hunt was the only alternative put forward to the party for acceptance. Boris is amoebal, he can do anything, he is the inchoate primeval swamp personified. I hope he rises to the occasion. Winston Churchill was equally despised when he became leader and look how he turned out.

And yes, Boris Johnson has quite definitely won the post.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

That's now been confirmed...

Boris Johnson has been elected new Conservative leader in a ballot of party members and will become the next UK prime minister. He beat Jeremy Hunt comfortably, winning 92,153 votes to his rival's 46,656.

The former London mayor takes over from Theresa May on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LONDON (The Borowitz Report)—Across the United Kingdom on Friday, Britons mourned their long-cherished right to claim that Americans were significantly dumber than they are.

Luxuriating in the superiority of their intellect over Americans’ has long been a favorite pastime in Britain, surpassing in popularity such games as cricket, darts, and snooker...

Read: British lose right to claim that Americans are dumber...
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm quite honestly surprised by that piece, it seems dismissive of the considerable talent Boris Johnson has displayed throughout his time in politics. He's not a fool though he's undoubtedly an habitual liar. He could well be exactly the chap we need this year in charge of what will be a very tricky Cabinet.

I do, as it happens, have a proposal to balance the House of Commons, and that's for any of the London Labour MPs to stand down and force a by-election. This would allow Ken Livingston to re-enter the Commons as a revitalized Labour leader. The country will, of course, be electrified if it happens.

If I might make one plea to the new administration - please don't give a Cabinet position to Mark Francois, he's a vulgar unpleasant thug who revels in his deliberate down-market thick-as-a-plank brute image. The country deserves better.
spot

Post by spot »

Boris Johnson has made his first speech and it's a monster. Here's a transcript. Talk about biting off more than you can chew.

Meanwhile, in the back corridors, blood is flowing by the bathtub. Everyone is purged, the Cabinet has been dismembered, people have "been allowed to resign", I can remember back to the dawn of political history in this country and nothing short of Civil War has ever taken down so many ruling politicians in one day before.

I am, regardless of political affiliation, impressed.

What a guy.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I kinda like Boris, actually.

And I think that comparing him to The Donald is an insult.

He should sue.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The funniest part was the bit where Cabinet Ministers were resigning beforehand. These were Ministers who would never have stood a chance of retaining their places on the Cabinet in the first place. They don't want you to realise that it is the PM who selects who sits on the Cabinet, not the other way round.
spot

Post by spot »

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said there were whispers there could be a big offer for European citizens coming out of cabinet this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49107417

If that's true then it's about time and very welcome.
spot

Post by spot »

And another major revision of claptrap Theresa May lying...

The new government has abandoned the target of getting annual net migration below 100,000. This was set as a goal by David Cameron, and maintained by Theresa May, but their governments never came close to meeting it.

After Boris Johnson’s statement to MPs, the prime minister’s spokesman, when asked about the 100,000, target, said Johnson was not interested in a “numbers game”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... -live-news

Huzzah. Well done Boris.

Return to “Current Political Events”