Defence Secretary fired from the UK Cabinet

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Post by spot »

Gavin Williamson has strenuously denied he leaked information from the National Security Council as calls are being made for a police inquiry.

He was sacked as defence secretary for allegedly disclosing plans to allow Chinese telecoms giant Huawei to help build the UK's 5G network.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48129280

Not that I have much truck with Gavin Williamson but he does appear to have been unjustifiably stitched up. I think he's more likely to be victim than leaker. Someone should be jailed. A thorough police investigation would help.

As for Huawei being accused of planting backdoors and insecure processes in computing infrastructure though, and the Americans leaning on the world to exclude them, has the world turned amnesiac? Did Julian Assange and Edward Snowden die in vain? The US has a track record a mile long of inducing US companies to subvert equipment and security in computer systems, from 1990s Swedish fax machines to Microsoft's browser cryptography to actively bragging in public that laser printers in Iraq sent covert details out to the US during the 2003 war. Give me Huawei hardware over HP any day of the week, at least their Chinese overlord spymasters have an ethical outlook by comparison with the Five Eyes. Would you really trust Cisco Systems to refuse to cooperate with its domestic Intelligence agencies, over Huawei? Seriously?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Not to mention spying on their supposed allies governments. If he did do it why not claim to be a whistleblower doing it in the national interest.

I don;t really care to be honest he's a tory lying is second nature to them as is forgetting which lies they have told in the past.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1523025 wrote: Would you really trust Cisco Systems to refuse to cooperate with its domestic Intelligence agencies, over Huawei? Seriously?

'Hard-to-fix' Cisco flaw puts work email at risk

The flaws allow hackers to deceive the part of the product hardware that checks whether software updates come from legitimate sources.

Experts believe this could put emails sent within an organisation at risk as they may use compromised routers.

[...] "We've shown that we can quietly and persistently disable the Trust Anchor," Red Balloon chief executive Ang Cui, told Wired magazine. "That means we can make arbitrary changes to a Cisco router, and the Trust Anchor will still report that the device is trustworthy. Which is scary and bad, because this is in every important Cisco product. Everything."

[...] "I can't see how a regular user could check whether their device has been hacked and I can't see a way users could secure a compromised device."

I rest my case, M'Lud.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

President Trump just enacted a unilateral Emergency Act aimed at foreign suppliers in sensitive data environments.

There's a simple enough response to this - mirror the declaration in identical terms in your own domestic legislation. Here they are:

"protect America from foreign adversaries who are actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology infrastructure and services".

Replace America with your own country and bingo, it's balanced.

"actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities"? Breaches of WhatApp against journalists for instance? Or all the NSA slides in the Snowden material? If that's not "foreign adversaries" I don't know what is, but it's none of it Chinese.

Return to “Current Political Events”