Will President Trump run for a second term?

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Re: Will President Trump run for a second term?

Post by spot »

This executive order thing that just got waved in the air like a large vote-attracting sex toy, the "National Heroes' Garden". Perhaps if it just gets called the "Inane Hate Slogan Order" instead?

I expect there's a better anagram, but it's late.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

There is one underlying reason that America is falling apart, and that's the deliberate sabotage which underlies the two-party system. I'm trying to remember when there was last an administration which wasn't hamstrung by the opposing party rather than taking turns politely and working in the country's interests.

Nobody did that to Truman or Eisenhower. Nor to Kennedy or LBJ. Nixon and Ford messed themselves up, that wasn't partisan. Carter, on the other hand, definitely was, and that's been the case for every other president since and it's happened to President Trump too.

Carter was sidelined by Reagan's dirty tricks, Reagan's mental health pushed him to the edge of his own administration so he's exceptional that way. Bush 1 committed political suicide with his foreign adventure, Clinton was deliberately maimed by the Republicans, Bush 2 won the trifecta which made his Presidency unassailable in wartime, he wasn't sidelined by the opposition, he just had absolutely no control over his own administration. Obama steamrollered the republican idiocy by sheer force of personality and blatant uprightness but they did everything they could to mess up his administration. And now we've had four years of Democrats refusing to work for America because they're not in charge. It's no way to run a country.

Car-crash America is the consequence. Truth has become an insignificant irrelevance and politicians say what the voters want to hear them say regardless of honesty or common sense. Common sense would have responded rapidly, reduced the pandemic to a level where trace and isolate would have worked. The appalling inability to now respond to events is a consequence of the politics, not of the pandemic. There are plenty of examples of successful management. Even Vietnam, of all places, hammered it flat and is keeping it that way. Being killed by people who would die for the Constitution is nothing new but this time it's domestic.

In the interest of transparency I note that the UK has so far been even less successful, but at least that was through incompetence and inertia rather than partisan civil war.

So, will President Trump still run for his second term? He behaves as though he's discovered he doesn't actually like Americans any longer, he could still just withdraw. I very much hope he doesn't, I'm far more scared of Mike Pence than I am of the President.

Can Mr Biden win in November? My money's still on a second term. I don't see that ending well at all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

But the problem isn't who will be President, it's whether the office itself is in fact worthy of respect. The underlying failure is the Constitution itself.

When America can be totally screwed by the administrations of a succession of godforsaken idiots like Reagan, Dubya and the present incumbent, then the checks and the balances are clearly no longer fit for purpose.
spot

Post by spot »

It would seem the President has finally recognized he needs to pull the nation together if he's to serve a second term. Hence the recent token mask, the new press briefings, the serious tone. And, of course, the anti-China push. Presidents are invariably popular if there's a perceived external enemy. Whether the world actually needs a War On China is another matter.

He's already withdrawn from WHO, something America can only have if he's re-elected. He could double-down and announce withdrawal from the UN with the expulsion of the organization, again with a year's notice, and that would also only happen if he's re-elected, but I bet it would be resoundingly popular across the nation.

Or China could retake Taiwan in reaction to the push push push, on the grounds that China-US relations can scarcely worsen further so now would be a good time to roll up the other outstanding issue along with Hong Kong. I can't see President Trump losing in November with an ongoing diversion on that scale.
spot

Post by spot »

“There is probably nothing the same as coronavirus,” said Thomas Schwartz, a history professor at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. “Obviously, you have issues that stir the public up: 1968 would have been Vietnam and the disturbances that had taken place in the cities. But nothing quite as universal and affecting such a wide band of Americans as the coronavirus. That is really new.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ction-2020

Chap seems to have forgotten the Civil War.

I note that there are 100 days until the election, we're now in countdown. The President appears to have avoided criticism at the upcoming Republican National Convention by cancelling it but that's not an option as far as the election itself is concerned.
spot

Post by spot »

Here we are. From the BBC.

Gore Vidal, you'll remember (and my goodness we could do with him now!) made occasional reference to the United States of Amnesia. So, in effect, does this article.
The conversion may be insincere; may well be borne of polling necessity - but what a lot of Americans will see is their president behaving rationally and normally; making decisions consistent with the scale of the threat the American people are facing - and Americans are fearing. But, I hear you say, surely they won't forget about all those things the president said in March and April when he played the pandemic down and urged the reopening of the US economy prematurely?

Well, all I would say is that the circus moves on quickly; everyone seems to have incredibly short memories. Who talks any more about Mueller? Or Russia? Or impeachment? The beam of the lighthouse doesn't stay long in any one place. With our impatience for new developments, for new story lines, for plot twists, we seem to suffer collectively from attention deficit disorder. And this president understands that better than anyone.

Some will no doubt write that this has been the president's worst week ever. If he wins in November it will come to be seen as his best.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53532880
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Will Trump go for a second term? Gawd help America if he does. And gawd help the rest of the world ! Also, it would just show that there are a super quantity of wallies in America if he gets voted in again. :roll: :shock:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

It's a very troubled country, America. It criticizes other parts of the world for human rights abuses but fails, for example, to acknowledge its own penal policy as the international human rights scandal of the century. The majority of Americans fail to even see it as an issue much less a problem, most appear to take a perverse pride in it.

I'd be quite happy to see the United Nations adopt a new host nation, even at the cost of American withdrawal from the organization. I don't think America would, if push came to shove, actually resign their seat.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 pm Will Trump go for a second term? Gawd help America if he does. And gawd help the rest of the world ! Also, it would just show that there are a super quantity of wallies in America if he gets voted in again. :roll: :shock:
Gawd help America? It helps me seeing you back posting 😀

Welcome back
spot

Post by spot »

President Trump has just offered a glimpse into his mind.

"I thought her voice was an important voice, but I know nothing about her.”

Spectacular, he should have that as a tattoo somewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... uine-video

The video prompting the President's comment was taken down by Facebook this week, leading Dr Immanuel to announce that "Jesus Christ would destroy Facebook’s servers" if the video was not restored. According to various reports Dr Immanuel has at various times declared a belief in aliens, demonic sex, bogus COVID-19 cures, reptilian overlords and Christianity. Her commercial enterprises include a church, a revivalist TV channel and several medical centers.

I shall heartily applaud if the God's only-begotten son does in fact decommission Facebook's servers before the weekend, but even that won't persuade me her medical advice is helpful.
I thought she was very impressive in the sense that, from where she came – I don’t know which country she comes from – but she said that she’s had tremendous success with hundreds of different patients.
The country you're searching for is Texas, Mr President. Dr Immanuel is the founder of Fire Power Ministries and host of a radio and television show entitled Fire Power through which she expresses her dislike of unmarried couples living together, bestiality, polygamy and "homosexual terrorism", whatever that consists of. She does all this from the medical center she owns and operates in Texas, the Rehoboth Medical Center in Houston. Her hundreds of different patients are Texans. The center is named after the third well built by Isaac when he settled in Gerar. I'm tempted to think it is perhaps the third medical center of her business empire which is very much a guess on my part, but it would echo the local Philistine population discriminating against an immigrant family at the first two attempts so perhaps she has a sense of humor. My hypothesis is bolstered by the fact that her earlier well-building was in Louisiana where being raised in the Republic of Cameroon will not have gone down well at all, the Philistines of Louisiana having a long-established belief in the divinely ordained superiority of white folk like the Good Book says.
spot

Post by spot »

And sure enough, here it is. Fanfare, Confetti, Today's Presidential Tweet.
Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???
What do you call a thing you couldn't get away with inventing in fiction but that's absolutely predictably inevitably guaranteed to happen in real life.

The one person who is never ever allowed to say what the President just said is the President. From anyone else it's just considering possibilities, from the President it's the foundation stone of The Second Republic.

Second Republics tend not to last long, they swiftly involve military factions and turn into Third, Fourth and Fifth Republics and eventually The First Empire.

If anyone would like a recent precedent of a Head of State bringing down his own Constitution in order to strengthen his own continuing Presidential powers, look up Charles de Gaulle and the dissolution of the Fourth Republic of which he was, at the time, Commander in Chief.

This old man, he played four,
Choose de Gaulle or civil war!
Come back president, govern by decree,
Referendum, oui, oui, oui!

spot

Post by spot »

There have been forgotten non-entity presidents who have only served their first term. If we set those to one side, who else has been a one-term president. And why.

Gerald Ford, who was refused a second term because his administration chose to lose the war in Vietnam.

Jimmy Carter, who was traitorously stitched up by Ronald Reagan's believably-alleged side deal after the Iranian revolution held the American embassy staff hostage, the rescue mission went tits up and the hostages stayed in Tehran until the week after the election.

And George Bush, where Ross Perot split the Republican vote badly enough that the underdog got elected.

And that's it. There are no others unless you delve back ninety years or more.

I find it unlikely that President Trump is going to lose this year. Maybe he will, but it's a big hill to climb.

If anyone has a list of what he's done wrong in the first term we could discuss how wrong each bit was. I'm not sure what it would include. Just being a charlatan, a serial liar and a disreputable turd isn't a problem.
spot

Post by spot »

He just keeps on giving:
Donald Trump said on Monday that he is considering accepting the Republican presidential nomination later this month with a speech at the civil war battlefield of Gettysburg, one of the most hallowed spots in American history.

The move prompted almost instant condemnation from critics.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... nomination
Well yes, I expect it did.

Then there's
Donald Trump has denied that his team ever approached South Dakota’s governor about adding his face to the iconic monument depicting four presidents at Mount Rushmore. However, he added that it sounded like a good idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... t-rushmore
He won't need a lecture tour after he steps down, he could just play the comedy circuit as a deranged George Carlin equivalent.
spot

Post by spot »

Donald Trump calls Kamala Harris 'meanest' US senator

The US president says he likes his running mate, Vice-President Mike Pence, "much better".
Ah. There we shall just have to differ, I suspect. Anything that can take Mike Pence further from becoming President is fine by me. I have yet to see him do anything I approved of and he would be a lot worse if he had any influence or power.

I have a suggestion. If we list the things President Trump has done and not done, actual things, not just flappy wordy words, we could evaluate his presidency to date and decide whether we would in fact like another four years of it. The rule of the game - ignore everything he's said, focus solely on what his administration has done and not done. How do we think the Trump White House has done. How has the world benefited. Set aside the misogynist incompetent fool and his mafia-style coterie. Do his actions deserve this second term.

Take Covid-19 for example. Without intervention by the administration, deaths so far would be well over a million. I'm carefully using a low figure there. Because the administration closed down the economy, the death toll by polling day will be 200,000. In his first term of office he's saved at least 80% of the casualties which would undoubtedly have happened. I grant that he could also have tried to save most of the other 20% but I doubt he had that power, that 20% is down to red-blooded Americans exercising their constitutional right to be selfish opinionated prats. I think holding down the numbers is a point in his favor.

We could continue in that vein if you like.
spot

Post by spot »

Something happened this week. I know that because I clicked to post in this thread, but immediately I can't bring to mind why.

Never mind. This clip is now a year old, it might be relevant during the run-up to the election.

Thank you Rachel Maddow, that was well constructed. I've never heard of Dr Maddow before but I'm pleased with that, she's impressive. She should stand for the Senate.

I'll edit in why I actually clicked Reply when I work out what it was.

Oh. Yes. President Trump talking to God, that was it. Wait a moment while I get a quote, I can tell none of you believe me.

Here we are:

"You know what that is? That's right. That's God testing me,” Trump explained. “He said, You know, you did it once. And I said, 'Did I do a great job, God? I'm the only one who could do it.' He said, ‘That you shouldn't say. Now we're going to have you do it again.' I said, 'OK. I agree. You got me.' But I did it once. And now I'm doing it again. And you see the kind of numbers that we're putting up. They're unbelievable. Best job numbers ever. Three months, more jobs in the last three months than ever before."

https://www.christianpost.com/news/trum ... again.html

I ask you, in all honesty - how can anyone not want four more years. It was in June, not this week, but even so.

One of the key words in Donald Trump's vocabulary, I've noticed, is "respect". He may have my sympathy if that helps, but surely he can't believe anyone respects him.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm trying, hard, to appreciate todays Republican National Convention, morning program - 8/24. My word it's difficult.

There's a shouty woman in green as compere. There's a smattering of unshielded white folk pretending to be a crowd. There's prayer after prayer and intermingled hundred year old patriotic songs sung by descanting operatic divas. Nobody is being introduced by name, presumably so they can maintain deniability in years to come. I do wish they'd get it over with.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am I'm trying, hard, to appreciate todays Republican National Convention, morning program - 8/24. My word it's difficult.

There's a shouty woman in green as compere. There's a smattering of unshielded white folk pretending to be a crowd. There's prayer after prayer and intermingled hundred year old patriotic songs sung by descanting operatic divas. Nobody is being introduced by name, presumably so they can maintain deniability in years to come. I do wish they'd get it over with.
Well, you have more stamina than I do, if you can sit through that.
I quickly tired of reading about it on Facebook.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Day 2.

President Trump's trophy wife delivered an address wearing military uniform?

What??

And no, I'm not inventing things. I used to go to work in an identical shirt, West German military surplus, Marcruss, £1.30 with identical shoulder tabs. Mine had a lanyard.

The flags are excessive and the Presidential Seal is just plain inappropriate.

spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:55 pm Well, you have more stamina than I do, if you can sit through that.
Thank goodness it's over.

The acceptance speech from the White House Lawn had two very visible bits to it.

First, the President has gone back to his freeze-frame Mussolini blue steel pout, profile to the side for the photo and to direct applause.

And second, those flags. Those massed stars and stripes. All on marching poles with eagles on the tops of them. One stars and stripes is one too many but that number was obscenely threatening. Especially on the White House Lawn. It's the sort of imagery that will last a thousand years. I'd very much like to know the name of the set designer.

And backlighting his hair from the top, in that breeze, was captivating, I couldn't look anywhere else. What spray-glue does his makeup team use to get that effect?
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:56 am Day 2.

President Trump's trophy wife delivered an address wearing military uniform?

What??

And looking good. 8-)
And no, I'm not inventing things. I used to go to work in an identical shirt, West German military surplus, Marcruss, £1.30 with identical shoulder tabs. Mine had a lanyard.
Was a time I would on occasion wear an OD green similar to that which was issued to me by the U.S. ARMY. 8-)
The flags are excessive and the Presidential Seal is just plain inappropriate.
If you say so. :?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

So, some observations.

When he ran and won last time, it was on a platform which included a promise to increase the GDP spent on the military, and to reduce the number of service personnel stationed beyond the Homeland. He's fulfilled both of those promises.

I think he could do better. America maintains around 300 physical embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions across the world. How many service personnel are needed to protect each? How about 200, to be generous. That's 60,000 troops. The number of American service personnel stationed on foreign territory at the moment is around 170,000.

If the promise is renewed before November, perhaps he could offer to pull another 100,000 back this time round, double what he actually did in the last four years.

There's no Republican manifesto this year. The Democrats managed an 91 page document, the President came out with a webpage. I think I can even find it... here we are, and damn hard it is to find too. https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/trum ... ng-for-you

Here's the list of promises for a second term, 23 August 2020:

President Trump: Fighting for You!

JOBS
  • Create 10 Million New Jobs in 10 Months
  • Create 1 Million New Small Businesses
  • Cut Taxes to Boost Take-Home Pay and Keep Jobs in America
  • Enact Fair Trade Deals that Protect American Jobs
  • "Made in America" Tax Credits
  • Expand Opportunity Zones
  • Continue Deregulatory Agenda for Energy Independence
ERADICATE COVID-19
  • Develop a Vaccine by The End Of 2020
  • Return to Normal in 2021
  • Make All Critical Medicines and Supplies for Healthcare Workers in The United States
  • Refill Stockpiles and Prepare for Future Pandemics
END OUR RELIANCE ON CHINA
  • Bring Back 1 Million Manufacturing Jobs from China
  • Tax Credits for Companies that Bring Back Jobs from China
  • Allow 100% Expensing Deductions for Essential Industries like Pharmaceuticals and Robotics who Bring Back their Manufacturing to the United States
  • No Federal Contracts for Companies who Outsource to China
  • Hold China Fully Accountable for Allowing the Virus to Spread around the World
HEALTHCARE
  • Cut Prescription Drug Prices
  • Put Patients and Doctors Back in Charge of our Healthcare System
  • Lower Healthcare Insurance Premiums
  • End Surprise Billing
  • Cover All Pre-Existing Conditions
  • Protect Social Security and Medicare
  • Protect Our Veterans and Provide World-Class Healthcare and Services
EDUCATION
  • Provide School Choice to Every Child in America
  • Teach American Exceptionalism
DRAIN THE SWAMP
  • Pass Congressional Term Limits
  • End Bureaucratic Government Bullying of U.S. Citizens and Small Businesses
  • Expose Washington’s Money Trail and Delegate Powers Back to People and States
  • Drain the Globalist Swamp by Taking on International Organizations That Hurt American Citizens
DEFEND OUR POLICE
  • Fully Fund and Hire More Police and Law Enforcement Officers
  • Increase Criminal Penalties for Assaults on Law Enforcement Officers
  • Prosecute Drive-By Shootings as Acts of Domestic Terrorism
  • Bring Violent Extremist Groups Like ANTIFA to Justice
  • End Cashless Bail and Keep Dangerous Criminals Locked Up until Trial
END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND PROTECT AMERICAN WORKERS
  • Block Illegal Immigrants from Becoming Eligible for Taxpayer-Funded Welfare, Healthcare, and Free College Tuition
  • Mandatory Deportation for Non-Citizen Gang Members
  • Dismantle Human Trafficking Networks
  • End Sanctuary Cities to Restore our Neighborhoods and Protect our Families
  • Prohibit American Companies from Replacing United States Citizens with Lower-Cost Foreign Workers
  • Require New Immigrants to Be Able to Support Themselves Financially
INNOVATE FOR THE FUTURE
  • Launch Space Force, Establish Permanent Manned Presence on The Moon and Send the First Manned Mission to Mars
  • Build the World’s Greatest Infrastructure System
  • Win the Race to 5G and Establish a National High-Speed Wireless Internet Network
  • Continue to Lead the World in Access to the Cleanest Drinking Water and Cleanest Air
  • Partner with Other Nations to Clean Up our Planet’s Oceans
AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY
  • Stop Endless Wars and Bring Our Troops Home
  • Get Allies to Pay their Fair Share
  • Maintain and Expand America’s Unrivaled Military Strength
  • Wipe Out Global Terrorists Who Threaten to Harm Americans
  • Build a Great Cybersecurity Defense System and Missile Defense System
DEFEND AMERICAN VALUES
  • Continue nominating constitutionalist Supreme Court and lower court judges
  • Protect unborn life through every means available
  • Defend the freedoms of religious believers and organizations
  • Support the exercise of Second Amendment rights
Do people really expect him to lose? As Clive James once put it, "I've often wondered who the hell remembers as far back as last night. It seems to me that a man like me is the only one who might."
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:54 am So, some observations.

When he ran and won last time, it was on a platform which included a promise to increase the GDP spent on the military, and to reduce the number of service personnel stationed beyond the Homeland. He's fulfilled both of those promises.

I think he could do better. America maintains around 300 physical embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions across the world. How many service personnel are needed to protect each? How about 200, to be generous. That's 60,000 troops. The number of American service personnel stationed on foreign territory at the moment is around 170,000.

If the promise is renewed before November, perhaps he could offer to pull another 100,000 back this time round, double what he actually did in the last four years.

There's no Republican manifesto this year. The Democrats managed an 91 page document, the President came out with a webpage. I think I can even find it... here we are, and damn hard it is to find too. https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/trum ... ng-for-you

Here's the list of promises for a second term, 23 August 2020:

President Trump: Fighting for You!

JOBS
  • Create 10 Million New Jobs in 10 Months
  • Create 1 Million New Small Businesses
  • Cut Taxes to Boost Take-Home Pay and Keep Jobs in America
  • Enact Fair Trade Deals that Protect American Jobs
  • "Made in America" Tax Credits
  • Expand Opportunity Zones
  • Continue Deregulatory Agenda for Energy Independence
ERADICATE COVID-19
  • Develop a Vaccine by The End Of 2020
  • Return to Normal in 2021
  • Make All Critical Medicines and Supplies for Healthcare Workers in The United States
  • Refill Stockpiles and Prepare for Future Pandemics
END OUR RELIANCE ON CHINA
  • Bring Back 1 Million Manufacturing Jobs from China
  • Tax Credits for Companies that Bring Back Jobs from China
  • Allow 100% Expensing Deductions for Essential Industries like Pharmaceuticals and Robotics who Bring Back their Manufacturing to the United States
  • No Federal Contracts for Companies who Outsource to China
  • Hold China Fully Accountable for Allowing the Virus to Spread around the World
HEALTHCARE
  • Cut Prescription Drug Prices
  • Put Patients and Doctors Back in Charge of our Healthcare System
  • Lower Healthcare Insurance Premiums
  • End Surprise Billing
  • Cover All Pre-Existing Conditions
  • Protect Social Security and Medicare
  • Protect Our Veterans and Provide World-Class Healthcare and Services
EDUCATION
  • Provide School Choice to Every Child in America
  • Teach American Exceptionalism
DRAIN THE SWAMP
  • Pass Congressional Term Limits
  • End Bureaucratic Government Bullying of U.S. Citizens and Small Businesses
  • Expose Washington’s Money Trail and Delegate Powers Back to People and States
  • Drain the Globalist Swamp by Taking on International Organizations That Hurt American Citizens
DEFEND OUR POLICE
  • Fully Fund and Hire More Police and Law Enforcement Officers
  • Increase Criminal Penalties for Assaults on Law Enforcement Officers
  • Prosecute Drive-By Shootings as Acts of Domestic Terrorism
  • Bring Violent Extremist Groups Like ANTIFA to Justice
  • End Cashless Bail and Keep Dangerous Criminals Locked Up until Trial
END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND PROTECT AMERICAN WORKERS
  • Block Illegal Immigrants from Becoming Eligible for Taxpayer-Funded Welfare, Healthcare, and Free College Tuition
  • Mandatory Deportation for Non-Citizen Gang Members
  • Dismantle Human Trafficking Networks
  • End Sanctuary Cities to Restore our Neighborhoods and Protect our Families
  • Prohibit American Companies from Replacing United States Citizens with Lower-Cost Foreign Workers
  • Require New Immigrants to Be Able to Support Themselves Financially
INNOVATE FOR THE FUTURE
  • Launch Space Force, Establish Permanent Manned Presence on The Moon and Send the First Manned Mission to Mars
  • Build the World’s Greatest Infrastructure System
  • Win the Race to 5G and Establish a National High-Speed Wireless Internet Network
  • Continue to Lead the World in Access to the Cleanest Drinking Water and Cleanest Air
  • Partner with Other Nations to Clean Up our Planet’s Oceans
AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY
  • Stop Endless Wars and Bring Our Troops Home
  • Get Allies to Pay their Fair Share
  • Maintain and Expand America’s Unrivaled Military Strength
  • Wipe Out Global Terrorists Who Threaten to Harm Americans
  • Build a Great Cybersecurity Defense System and Missile Defense System
DEFEND AMERICAN VALUES
  • Continue nominating constitutionalist Supreme Court and lower court judges
  • Protect unborn life through every means available
  • Defend the freedoms of religious believers and organizations
  • Support the exercise of Second Amendment rights
Do people really expect him to lose? As Clive James once put it, "I've often wondered who the hell remembers as far back as last night. It seems to me that a man like me is the only one who might."
That is quite a list none of it in any context.
No body cares about promises,

Fact is all politician promises are worth the paper they are written on. All they can do is in good faith pursue to fulfill the goals they espouce.

Forget the campaign promises, jusge him on his performance.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 am That is quite a list none of it in any context.

Fact is all politician promises are worth the paper they are written on. All they can do is in good faith pursue to fulfill the goals they espouce.

I'm surprised you missed the context. The context is that there's a presidential election this year, and the current President issued "a set of core priorities for a second term under the banner of “Fighting for You!” President Trump’s boundless optimism and certainty in America’s greatness is reflected in his second-term goals and stands in stark contrast to the gloomy vision of America projected by Joe Biden and Democrats". That's from the link I gave.

By all means judge the chap on his performance. You also have his platform from 2016, and you can see how he performed with that. I gave two examples in the post you just quoted - expanding the proportion of GDP spent on the military, and drawing troops back within the Homeland borders. Two ticks. If you have any other part of his 2016 platform you regard as unperformed then out with it, let's see what it was and whether the chap's reneged on his commitment. I've been asking people to do that all year and got sod all reaction.

If he wins, you are guaranteed to see Ivanka win the Presidency in 2024. The time to stop it is now.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm
tude dog wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 am That is quite a list none of it in any context.

I'm surprised you missed the context. The context is that there's a presidential election this year, and the current President issued "a set of core priorities for a second term under the banner of “Fighting for You!” President Trump’s boundless optimism and certainty in America’s greatness is reflected in his second-term goals and stands in stark contrast to the gloomy vision of America projected by Joe Biden and Democrats". That's from the link I gave.
Your post listed over 50 promises. Not one sourced, but I'll take your work for them.
spot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pmBy all means judge the chap on his performance. You also have his platform from 2016, and you can see how he performed with that. I gave two examples in the post you just quoted - expanding the proportion of GDP spent on the military, and drawing troops back within the Homeland borders. Two ticks. If you have any other part of his 2016 platform you regard as unperformed then out with it, let's see what it was and whether the chap's reneged on his commitment. I've been asking people to do that all year and got sod all reaction.
All things considered he had followed his promises.
spot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pmIf he wins, you are guaranteed to see Ivanka win the Presidency in 2024. The time to stop it is now.
:lol:

At least not to hard on the eyes. 8-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:16 pm
Your post listed over 50 promises. Not one sourced, but I'll take your work for them.
The source was above the list :-
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The Republican Platform was just a re-hash of the 2016 platform, which they categorically failed to even begin to work on.
(well, they did build a few miles of a Wall.)
I reckon that counts for something.

All the Dems need for a platform is to pledge to see the entire Trump bandwagon lying crumpled by the side of the road, a victim of its own mortar attack.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 am The Republican Platform was just a re-hash of the 2016 platform, which they categorically failed to even begin to work on.
I dunno, looks to me he has done surprisingly well. 8-)
LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 amAll the Dems need for a platform is to pledge to see the entire Trump bandwagon lying crumpled by the side of the road, a victim of its own mortar attack.
Personally I do not like Donald, but I have to give him credit for his performance as President. :shock:

So it seems you favor the failed impeachment route, a Democratic Party with zero ideas, just ANTI TRIMP AND HATE :ugeek:

Where has the Democratic Party been on the contininigh murders, riots, burning etc,

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm
LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 am The Republican Platform was just a re-hash of the 2016 platform, which they categorically failed to even begin to work on.
I dunno, looks to me he has done surprisingly well. 8-)
LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 amAll the Dems need for a platform is to pledge to see the entire Trump bandwagon lying crumpled by the side of the road, a victim of its own mortar attack.
Personally I do not like Donald, but I have to give him credit for his performance as President. :shock:

I would be interested in hearing/reading what, exactly, you believe that he has done right.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pmI would be interested in hearing/reading what, exactly, you believe that he has done right.
What, you wanna list?

For starters, the improved ecoconomy. :)
Peace in the Middle East. 8-)

We could argue over that but there is no point in that. :roll:

I would rather talk of the Harris/Biden ticket. :lol:

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm
LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pmI would be interested in hearing/reading what, exactly, you believe that he has done right.
What, you wanna list?

For starters, the improved ecoconomy. :)

We could argue over that but there is no point in that. :roll:

I would rather talk of the Harris/Biden ticket. :lol:

Sorry TD, saying there’s no point in discussing it won’t wash, there will be no peace in the Middle East whilst they ignore the Palestinian question - making peace with peripheral nations is not making regional peace.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:46 pm
What, you wanna list?

For starters, the improved ecoconomy. 8-)

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:46 pmSorry TD, saying there’s no point in discussing it won’t wash, there will be no peace in the Middle East whilst they ignore the Palestinian question - making peace with peripheral nations is not making regional peace.
You seem not able to see any progress with what Trump has done so I am a loss of where to go from here. :geek:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm
What, you wanna list?

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:46 pmSorry TD, saying there’s no point in discussing it won’t wash, there will be no peace in the Middle East whilst they ignore the Palestinian question - making peace with peripheral nations is not making regional peace.
You seem not able to see any progress with what Trump has done so I am a loss of where to go from here. :geek:
A small amount of progress but certainly not the peace in the Middle East you claimed.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 1970 10:35 pm35 user_id=2231]
[quote="tude dog" post_id=1534549 time=1600388896 user_id=6031

What, you wanna list?

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pmA small amount of progress but certainly not the peace in the Middle East you claimed.
Excuse me for not being more exact on the recent accomplishments building on the long overdue move of the United States Embassay to Jerusalem.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:12 am

What, you wanna list?

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pmA small amount of progress but certainly not the peace in the Middle East you claimed.
Excuse me for not being more exact on the recent accomplishments building on the long overdue move of the United States Embassay to Jerusalem.
And you consider that not to be divisive?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Excuse me for not being more exact on the recent accomplishments building on the long overdue move of the United States Embassy to Jerusalem.
Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pmAnd you consider that not to be divisive?
I would say PRUDENT.

Looking good so far. 8-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 pm Excuse me for not being more exact on the recent accomplishments building on the long overdue move of the United States Embassy to Jerusalem.
Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pmAnd you consider that not to be divisive?
I would say PRUDENT.

Looking good so far. 8-)
Not prudent, very political and very divisive.
spot

Post by spot »

We're to understand that President Trump first displayed symptoms last Wednesday, if I've followed the tale. The day on which symptoms start is usually called Day 1.

Day 3 is the earliest patients go to hospital if they're having trouble. That fits with last week's Friday admission.

Day 5 is when symptoms start to worsen in more severe cases. That's yesterday and still fits the news pattern of steroid medication and low blood oxygen.

If he does in fact leave hospital today, Monday 5th, Day 6, as the White House has been optimistically touting, then that's good. He's out of the woods and just needs to self-isolate inside the White House until Day 10 which would be Friday 9th.

If, on the other hand, he's more badly affected, the average onset of shortness of breath, pneumonia, or acute respiratory distress syndrome is Day 8. That would be Wednesday 7th and the President would then not be expected to leave hospital until perhaps October 18th, again followed by self-isolation and a recovery period.

So either the President leaves hospital today or tomorrow, or we can hope to see him waving from the balcony again two weeks from now. We can also expect the Vice-President to be back in America officially deputizing for him from the weekend.

And if this timeline is right, President Trump became infected five days before Day 1, which was on Thursday 24th October, and that's a very long time ago. It suggests he's been infectious for nine days now, and that he was already infectious at the Rose Garden event.

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:00 pm
tude dog wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:12 am

What, you wanna list?

And you consider that not to be divisive?
The move was a decisive political move which made clear our relationship with Israel. Apparently it it hasn't hurt our standing with the Arab nations. :)
spot

Post by spot »

My word he was looking ill today. El Jefe.

Both The Don and his consigliere, come to that - Rudi is not a well man either.
spot

Post by spot »

We might sign this thread off with a thoughtful assessment from today's Guardian. Or Observer. Or something like. It's by Michael Goldfarb, "former London bureau chief of NPR and fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. He is the host of the FRHD podcast".
Trump’s presidency was the end product of two strands of American life coming together after a quarter of a century of independent development. First, the Republican party’s evolution from a bloc of diverse interests into a radical faction built around a single idea: winning absolute power and making America a one-party state ruled by people dedicated to tax cuts for the wealthy and stacking the federal courts with judges who would roll back the New Deal/civil rights-era social contract.

The former speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, began this process more than a quarter of a century ago. He was the first prominent Republican to see in Donald Trump the man who could fulfil the modern party’s dreams. Gingrich later wrote, in 2018: “Trump’s America and the post-American society that the anti-Trump coalition represents are incapable of coexisting. One will simply defeat the other. There is no room for compromise. Trump has understood this perfectly since day one.”

[...] Media is the second stream that helped create the Trump presidency. The “siloing” of American society has long been noted but just how incomprehensible people had become to one another after a quarter of a century and more of being in such different media environments overwhelmed the anti-Trump side. The same people who regarded Gingrich as a blowhard, Rush Limbaugh as a malign clown and Fox News as something only your crazy uncle watched could not begin to understand how many of their fellow citizens accepted their worldview.

For a little more than half the population, a figure such as Trump, gaining first the Republican nomination and then, through the anachronism of the electoral college, winning the presidency despite Hillary Clinton outpolling him by 3m votes, is a shock that will never go away.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ll-with-us
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 am We might sign this thread off with a thoughtful assessment from today's Guardian. Or Observer. Or something like. It's by Michael Goldfarb, "former London bureau chief of NPR and fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. He is the host of the FRHD podcast".
Trump’s presidency was the end product of two strands of American life coming together after a quarter of a century of independent development. First, the Republican party’s evolution from a bloc of diverse interests into a radical faction built around a single idea: winning absolute power and making America a one-party state ruled by people dedicated to tax cuts for the wealthy and stacking the federal courts with judges who would roll back the New Deal/civil rights-era social contract.

The former speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, began this process more than a quarter of a century ago. He was the first prominent Republican to see in Donald Trump the man who could fulfil the modern party’s dreams. Gingrich later wrote, in 2018: “Trump’s America and the post-American society that the anti-Trump coalition represents are incapable of coexisting. One will simply defeat the other. There is no room for compromise. Trump has understood this perfectly since day one.”

[...] Media is the second stream that helped create the Trump presidency. The “siloing” of American society has long been noted but just how incomprehensible people had become to one another after a quarter of a century and more of being in such different media environments overwhelmed the anti-Trump side. The same people who regarded Gingrich as a blowhard, Rush Limbaugh as a malign clown and Fox News as something only your crazy uncle watched could not begin to understand how many of their fellow citizens accepted their worldview.

For a little more than half the population, a figure such as Trump, gaining first the Republican nomination and then, through the anachronism of the electoral college, winning the presidency despite Hillary Clinton outpolling him by 3m votes, is a shock that will never go away.

There are no laws that would forbid him from returning for the 2024 race.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 am We might sign this thread off with a thoughtful assessment from today's Guardian. Or Observer. Or something like. It's by Michael Goldfarb, "former London bureau chief of NPR and fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. He is the host of the FRHD podcast".

I still find it shocking that Trump got nearly 50% of the vote after four years of him sh*tting all over our Constitution. His approval rating never got much higher
than 42% but then it never got much lower than 39% even when he was clearly to blame for most of the covid-19 deaths through his inaction.

I keep seeing white people claim that Trump has done more for black Americans than any other president in history. I've read quite a few tweets and many opinion pieces written by black Americans and they strongly disagree. So, to me, it looks like Trump makes outrageous claim taking credit for something that never happened or happened under Obama and half the nation blindly accepts it as fact. I'll never not be disgusted by that.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Talking to the neighbors around here, I think I have It figured, sort of. boils down to two items.

1. Abortion.
The religious sorts are hung up on abortion. You'd e amazed how many are that simple in their thinking. Democrats are for Abortion.

2. Socialism
If you vote for the Dem candidate they will turn the country into a Socialists state.

It hangs on those two things, but they will reason away any other issue that is brought up, and grab onto one of those key items.
I got this from hundreds of conversations in the last several years.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I could understand if they were afraid of communism but what's the big deal about socialism? I'm willing to bet most of these people freaking out about it would probably benefit from it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:40 pm I could understand if they were afraid of communism but what's the big deal about socialism? I'm willing to bet most of these people freaking out about it would probably benefit from it.
Most Americans seem to have no idea what Socialism is. All they seem to know is that it must be bad because the Republicans say it is, and well, Bernie!
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I never believe a politician when they talk about jobs or the economy. They have a way of fiddling the books. If the covid thing has created jobs (which it has) it's short lived. Telling an airline pilot to stack shelves in a supermarket is not creating jobs. It's just shifting a temporary situation. Subsidising farmers to make their business structure look good is not improving an economy. Subsidies can't last forever. Bringing manufacturing jobs back into a country is an admittance to a mistake for putting it off shore in the first place.

Oh and it seems he is going to run again in 2024.It's now up to the Republican party to get rid of this fool. If they don't, then the last bastion of respect for that side of politics will dwindle.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

So. Crunch time.

Former President Trump has trailed an announcement next week.

The 2022 mid-term elections have started to close and results are beginning to accumulate. All the wins so far are for Republican Representative incumbents with 60% the the predicted votes. Things will no doubt be clearer in the morning.

I suspect Former President Trump is hoping to see many of the candidates he's personally backed being elected before he commits himself. One or two are crashing badly, like for example John Gibbs in Michigan.
spot

Post by spot »

Eleven hours later the results so far are surprising and not at all what the press predicted.

In the House so far there are 4 flips for the Democrats and 5 for the Republicans.

The Republicans need a net 5 flips to take the House.

There are 64 seats still to declare.

The Senate looks to have stayed Democrat controlled. It's entirely down to Georgia and that won't become clear until December 7th. Georgia has a runoff because a third candidate stopped either main party from reaching 50% of the vote.

All we need now is accusations of fraud.
spot

Post by spot »

One of the names nobody has mentioned in the last few weeks is Kamala Harris. Not where I've browsed anyway.

Twelve hours after the first states finished voting, the consequence of these mid-term results seems to me to put her into the White House in two years time as the next President.

The Republicans just broke into two halves that will eat each other. Former President Trump has no way forward despite the obvious fact that he's going to try. Enough of MAGA will refuse to vote for De Santis that he's also incapable of winning the Presidency - the Republicans could run a reincarnated Jesus complete with stigmata and levitation but MAGA would still refuse to vote for anyone but Trump. And that leaves the current vice-President, assuming the Democrats have enough gumption to accept her in the primaries.

This all assumes, of course, that the present President has the sense not to try for a second term. Not at his age. It's unseemly.

Return to “Current Political Events”