The Presidential Election of 2020

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Re: The Presidential Election of 2020

Post by spot »

An associate of Rudy Giuliani told a former CIA officer a presidential pardon was “going to cost $2m”, the New York Times reported on Sunday in the latest bombshell to break across the last, chaotic days of Donald Trump’s presidency.
Trumpists on top? President exits having cleaved the Republican party in two
Read more

The report detailed widespread and in some cases lucrative lobbying involving people seeking a pardon as Trump’s time in office winds down. The 45th president, impeached twice, will leave power on Wednesday with the inauguration of Joe Biden.

The former CIA officer John Kiriakou, who was jailed in 2012 for leaking the identity of an operative involved in torture, told the Times he laughed at the remark from the associate of Giuliani, the former New York mayor who as Trump’s personal attorney is reportedly a possible pardon recipient himself.

“Two million bucks – are you out of your mind?” Kiriakou reportedly said. “Even if I had two million bucks, I wouldn’t spend it to recover a $700,000 pension.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ump-pardon

I'll publish the list when it hits the news stands, we can add up how much it brings in.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:23 am
"Steve Bannon banned by Twitter for calling for Fauci beheading" - is that vile lying propagandist crook not in jail yet? Why is he still at large?
He didn't just call for Fauci's head, he also included the Director of the FBI. Complete lunacy.

As for Newt bitterly complaining about vote counters being corrupt, there were protesters outside one of the counting locations shouting that they should be able to observe the count when there was already a livestream of the room. The abject stupidity of these people. :roll:
Has Mr Bannon been added to the Pardon List? Or are the two rogues still at loggerheads.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

OooH! Even "Moscow Mitch" is "turning turtle" on The Donald.
McConnell said Trump ‘fed lies’ to mob about Biden election

https://apnews.com/article/mcconnell-tr ... d364ad6de6
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell opened the Senate on Tuesday saying the pro-Trump mob that stormed the Capitol was “fed lies” by the president and others in the deadly riot to overturn Democrat Joe Biden’s election.

McConnell’s remarks are his most severe and public rebuke of outgoing President Donald Trump. The Republican leader vowed a “safe and successful” inauguration of Biden on Wednesday at the Capitol, which is under extremely tight security.

“The mob was fed lies,” McConnell said. “They were provoked by the president and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like.”

McConnell said after Biden’s inauguration on the Capitol’s West Front — what he noted former President George H.W. Bush has called “democracy’s front porch” — “We’ll move forward.”

Trump’s last full day in office Tuesday is also senators’ first day back since the deadly Capitol siege, an unparalleled time of transition as the Senate presses ahead to his impeachment trial and starts confirmation hearings on President-elect Joe Biden’s Cabinet.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I listened to him speak. If I recall, he also said it was time for common ground to prevail during the next administration - I'm sure he mentioned common ground. I don't think I've heard the Senator suggest this at any stage during the last four years though. Maybe I misremember. Maybe not. "We are to pursue bipartisan agreement everywhere we can and check and balance one another respectfully where we must"? Does that reflect his own historical behavior, or is he just incapable of apologizing first. President Trump had his absolute backing throughout the President's term of office up until last week, and the word "bipartisan" is hollow mockery in today's context.

The papers say 2 of the 25,000 National Guard attending tomorrow's inauguration have been withdrawn on the basis of their social media posts. I'm reminded of the assassination of Anwar Sadat by four politicized members of the Egyptian Army, the highest ranking of whom was a Lieutenant, during a march-past ceremony. The idea only 2 of tomorrow's attendant National Guard voted for the incumbent is a bit unlikely. The Egyptian parade "should have been safe due to ammunition-seizure rules". I doubt tomorrow's inauguration will be that well neutered.
spot

Post by spot »

One of the few advantages of having members of President Trump's family on the pardon list is, presumably, that they can all then be compelled to testify in all subsequent trials relating to the Trump Administration with no right of silence through self-incrimination. That might make such trials even more exciting.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 am I listened to him speak. If I recall, he also said it was time for common ground to prevail during the next administration - I'm sure he mentioned common ground. I don't think I've heard the Senator suggest this at any stage during the last four years though. Maybe I misremember. Maybe not. "We are to pursue bipartisan agreement everywhere we can and check and balance one another respectfully where we must"? Does that reflect his own historical behavior, or is he just incapable of apologizing first. President Trump had his absolute backing throughout the President's term of office up until last week, and the word "bipartisan" is hollow mockery in today's context.

The papers say 2 of the 25,000 National Guard attending tomorrow's inauguration have been withdrawn on the basis of their social media posts. I'm reminded of the assassination of Anwar Sadat by four politicized members of the Egyptian Army, the highest ranking of whom was a Lieutenant, during a march-past ceremony. The idea only 2 of tomorrow's attendant National Guard voted for the incumbent is a bit unlikely. The Egyptian parade "should have been safe due to ammunition-seizure rules". I doubt tomorrow's inauguration will be that well neutered.
McConnell and the Rs had a much bigger percentage of votes during Trump's reign of terror and McConnell didn't give two flying f**ks what the Dems thought. He has to play nice now that the house is split evenly.

I'm enjoying his denunciation of Trump, I hope that means we're going to get a real trial this time.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

"The idea only 2 of tomorrow's attendant National Guard voted for the incumbent is a bit unlikely."

I think they were looking for obvious red flags like "death to the pedophiles on the left, let's kill them all" type of rhetoric on social media.
spot

Post by spot »

I assume we all watched President Trump's demented rant while boarding his flight to Florida?

What it wasn't was impressive or dignified, and he kept calling himself "We". America ended up with a risible small-minded incompetent Emperor surrounded by sycophants, who had no idea how to rule.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:33 pm Has Mr Bannon been added to the Pardon List? Or are the two rogues still at loggerheads.
Well, there you go.

I modestly propose a single change to the law relating to Presidential Pardons, not a big one, it shouldn't make any difference to an honest President: The President can pardon anyone so long as they've never met.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:00 am I assume we all watched President Trump's demented rant while boarding his flight to Florida?

What it wasn't was impressive or dignified, and he kept calling himself "We". America ended up with a risible small-minded incompetent Emperor surrounded by sycophants, who had no idea how to rule.
I did not watch it. I made a point of having other things to do.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Reading the AP piece on Das Trumper's departure, the item that caught my eye was, "Four Army cannons fired a 21-gun salute."
I thought that rather odd. Usually they use some number of arms that can be multiplied to 21.
3, or seven. I may go back and watch, just to see how they did that.
I'm certain that there was some significance to that choice.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:59 am Reading the AP piece on Das Trumper's departure, the item that caught my eye was, "Four Army cannons fired a 21-gun salute."
I thought that rather odd. Usually they use some number of arms that can be multiplied to 21.
3, or seven. I may go back and watch, just to see how they did that.
I'm certain that there was some significance to that choice.
It would make the final lone shot sound a bit of an anticlimax.
spot

Post by spot »

On the question of timing the Senate impeachment trial, it would make a lot of sense to hold it after the first 100 days. There's no reason it should slow down the immediate necessities.
spot

Post by spot »

Having watched a bit on CBC my first impression is that President Trump could be represented by any illiterate backwoodsman and still not be found guilty. Why his lawyer isn't just standing up and saying yes, the video is exactly what happened and the President said exactly what he said to make it happen - fine, what are you going to do about it" I don't know, he'd still get his not guilty verdict and bonus marks for honesty. The final vote isn't in doubt by anyone.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm On the question of timing the Senate impeachment trial, it would make a lot of sense to hold it after the first 100 days. There's no reason it should slow down the immediate necessities.
Yea, I am waiting with bated breath to find out who by executive order the next victims need to lose their jobs.

There must be a better way to import illegal criminal aliens.

Why be a spoilsport? The longer Congress does nothing the less harm they can do.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:50 am Having watched a bit on CBC my first impression is that President Trump could be represented by any illiterate backwoodsman and still not be found guilty. Why his lawyer isn't just standing up and saying yes, the video is exactly what happened and the President said exactly what he said to make it happen - fine, what are you going to do about it" I don't know, he'd still get his not guilty verdict and bonus marks for honesty. The final vote isn't in doubt by anyone.
Biden's party. :lol:
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:08 pm
spot wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm On the question of timing the Senate impeachment trial, it would make a lot of sense to hold it after the first 100 days. There's no reason it should slow down the immediate necessities.
Yea, I am waiting with bated breath to find out who by executive order the next victims need to lose their jobs.

There must be a better way to import illegal criminal aliens.

Why be a spoilsport? The longer Congress does nothing the less harm they can do.
Just think though. Four more years.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I disagree. I want to get it over with. Send the bugger packing and be done with him, THEN move on.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:28 pm
I disagree. I want to get it over with. Send the bugger packing and be done with him, THEN move on.
I'd be delighted if they do, but do you really think there's not 17 Republican senators who will stick by Trumpolini? I'd be surprised if 17 switch against him when they get to vote on this. Today's session was quite impressive though.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I've not been following the hearings. None of it will matter if the Repugnicans stick to their story line in spite of the evidence.
We can only hope that there are 20 of them that can think beyond next week and take a stand for Democracy, instead of toeing the Party line.

Unfortunately the cast of characters seems a re-run of several of the critical votes over the last couple of years. They "have their reservations/concerns" while the talking is being done, but they have a history of folding when the chips are actually in the pot.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

It's a simple choice with a plus for them, when they get to vote. Do they want Trump to run the Republican party, or do they want it back again.
spot

Post by spot »

Well, we're into the aftermath.
Trump made it clear he intends to remain a political force by declaring: “I stand before you today to declare that the incredible journey we began together four years ago is far from over.”

“We all knew that the Biden administration was going to be bad – but none of us imagined just how bad they would be, and how far left they would go... Joe Biden has had the most disastrous first month of any president in modern history.

And adding: “Biden’s radical immigration policies aren’t just illegal – they are immoral, they are heartless, and they are a betrayal of our nation’s core values.”

Trump called on Biden to reopen schools despite ongoing safety fears due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The former president also invoked his “America first” nationalist agenda by insisting: “We believe in standing up to China, shutting down outsourcing, bringing back our factories and supply chains, and ensuring that America, not China, dominates the future.”

In a speech that lasted about 90 minutes, Trump fell back on his reliable rightwing themes against immigration, especially dealing harshly with migrants crossing the US-Mexico border, and talking up his barrier strengthening there.

He also took off on a transphobic rant, claiming that transgender athletes were ruining women’s sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... it-florida

What you're looking at there is a White Supremacist Republican party nailing its agenda to the masthead.

Fine by me. They can drive off a cliff the way they're going. If the new White House administration is annoying them then that's even more of a bonus.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm Well, we're into the aftermath.
Trump made it clear he intends to remain a political force by declaring: “I stand before you today to declare that the incredible journey we began together four years ago is far from over.”

“We all knew that the Biden administration was going to be bad – but none of us imagined just how bad they would be, and how far left they would go... Joe Biden has had the most disastrous first month of any president in modern history.

And adding: “Biden’s radical immigration policies aren’t just illegal – they are immoral, they are heartless, and they are a betrayal of our nation’s core values.”

Trump called on Biden to reopen schools despite ongoing safety fears due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The former president also invoked his “America first” nationalist agenda by insisting: “We believe in standing up to China, shutting down outsourcing, bringing back our factories and supply chains, and ensuring that America, not China, dominates the future.”

In a speech that lasted about 90 minutes, Trump fell back on his reliable rightwing themes against immigration, especially dealing harshly with migrants crossing the US-Mexico border, and talking up his barrier strengthening there.

He also took off on a transphobic rant, claiming that transgender athletes were ruining women’s sport.

What you're looking at there is a White Supremacist Republican party nailing its agenda to the masthead.

Fine by me. They can drive off a cliff the way they're going. If the new White House administration is annoying them then that's even more of a bonus.
Apart from the fact that he’s setting out to keep the country divided - the more the divisions heal during the next four years the less his chances of re-election.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:41 pm
spot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm Well, we're into the aftermath.

Apart from the fact that he’s setting out to keep the country divided - the more the divisions heal during the next four years the less his chances of re-election.
Well, it doesn't take much to keep the US divided, these days.
Where I live, the Trump flags still fly, and there are several TRUMP 2024 flags added to the mix, now.
Our county election results show that Biden/Harris received less than 10% of the votes cast. The same in every county in the region.
I'm developing permanent bite-marks in my tongue, these days, from conversations with the neighbors turning towards national politics.

Granddaughter just pointed out that our meager household accounts for more that 1% of the total votes cast for Biden in our county.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Political Events”