If life really is a 'box of chocolates' .................

Journals - The Events of Your Life.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Which I hope it isn't because I'm the wrong colour if it is. :wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Spent most of the day today painting. The old shearing shed, water tower and windmill. I thought it would be a picture but it has turned into a study . It looks crap in my opinion but a few little snippets have come out of it . Firstly that scene of rain dropping from clouds, I think I have perfected. (by accident) I love when that happens. The tin roof actually looks like it's an old rusted tin roof. ..........I'll tell everyone that looks at it that it's just a study whilst I cry into my pillow bellowing "I've lost my touch" .....boohoo!!!

I'ts been a long time since I've put aside serious time to paint . No more excuses.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

NZ Folk Song * Pokarekare Ana

Have a sing along to a famous New Zealand folk song . the words and music and vocals are all there. And learn something in the process. Pronounciation is easy because you say what you read .

Such a pretty song.

Or just watch it on Youtube I guess.

St Josephs Maori Girls College - Pokarekare Ana. - YouTube
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

SHOOT ME NOW!!!!!!

Helped out a friend with the cleaning of his property. Why can't I just shut my mouth sometimes. It was a bit of a mess and I thought, nah it's easy ........ He stands there in front of everything and says..."I don't know where to start" ........

So I says

"May I make a suggestion?........If you clean up all that stuff , then there will be room to put that stuff over there, and then you can move this stuff over here, and burn off the rest of it, and voila you can put your vege garden in".

BRILLIANT!!! Except for one tiny problem . This person doesn't have a stop button. Did everything I suggested but doesn't think you should stop for lunch or for a drink of water even. (did I mention I was helping out? Hmmmmmmm ) How much electrical conduit does one person need in a life time?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

So more Xrays next week and more sugeons.....ho hum . FML
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

When my family first touched on ground in Australia. See, we've always been globetrotters in my family.

ID: I4626

Name: John Alexander HERBERT

Surname: Herbert

Given Name: John Alexander

Sex: M

Birth: 26 Apr 1767 in Holborn, London

Death: 19 Nov 1846 in Hope Inn, Westbury, Tasmania

Burial: 23 Nov 1846 Church of England Cemetery, Westbury, Tasmania

_UID: 81EDAFE37018FB479A10F6365CC2CEC955CE

Baptism: St. Andrew's Church, Holborn

Note:

John Alexander Herbert born at a private dwelling in a narrow street called Long Lane which i s situated in the District of Smithfield, Parish of St. Andrews, Holborn, London. He was chr istened in St. Andrews Church. Tried and convicted at Old Bailey Criminal Court for stealin g a silk handkerchief value one shilling on 21/04/1784.He was sentenced to 7 years and sent t o Australia on the "Scarborough" one of the transports of the "First Fleet " of 1788. In 179 0 he was one of the convicts sent to Norfolk Island on the "Sirius". He was alloted ground an d by 1794 he was selling grain to the stores. He was also appointed as a constable. He had several children to Hannah Bolton alias Moore. On the 18 February1813 with two children, Jame s and Elizabeth he boarded the "Minstrel" at Norfolk Island. The vessel containing settlers a nd soldiers, arrived at Port Dalrymple on 4 March 1813. His property at Norfolk Plains was ca lled "Rocky Hill".

HERBERT PLAQUE UNVEILING

Descendants of John Alexander Herbert (First Fleet Convict) are invited to attend the unveili ng and dedication of a Commemorative Plaque to John Herbert and Hannah Bolton at the Westbur y Anglican Cemetery (Church of England) on the corner of Dexter and Mary Street at 11am on Au stralia Day the 26th January 2010 to be followed by a gathering of families in Westbury fo r a BYO Picnic. Please bring you chairs or a picnic blanket for yourself/yourselves. This i s just to be an informal gathering for the family to get to know one another.

This day will be the 222nd year anniversary of his arrival in Australia.

ID: I4629

Name: Hannah BOLTON Moore

Surname: Bolton

Given Name: Hannah

Suffix: Moore

Sex: F

Birth: 1769 in Warwickshire

_UID: 2CE21D2026D7E04AAB1CE4B0110C26B3C3DE

Note: On the 7 August 1787 at the Warwick Assizes she was sentenced toseven years for burglary.Sh e was later sent to the "LadyJuliana"transport which sailed from the Thames on 4 June 1789.On 1 August 1790 two months after landing at Sydney Cove she wasamong the 194 convicts, mainly w omen, who were sent to NorfolkIsland on the "Surprise". In November 1791 the Rev. RichardJohn son briefly visited the island and married a number ofcouples. No record of these ceremonie s have survived. Hannahdoes not appear on any Norfolk Island victualling list after1800. Som e researchers believe the Ann Moor buried on NorfolkIsland, 4 September 1801, was Hannah Bolt on/Moore.

ID: I4651

Name: John William CHAPMAN

Surname: Chapman

Given Name: John William

Birth: 1792 in Essex

Death: 29 Jan 1852 in Ravenswood, Launceston, Tasmania

Burial: 31 Jan 1852 C/E Cemetery, Launceston, Tasmania

_UID: A1D8191915924545B91D94290CC7CE849439

Note: John William CHAPMAN came from the village of Hatfield Broad Oakin the county of Essex,Englan d. He was described as alabourer.On the 31st July 1805 he was tried in Chelmsford in theEsse x Summer Assizes. He was convicted of stealing one sheep andtwo lambs the property of Mr Robe rt STANES of Hatfield BroadOak. Chapman received the death sentence but he was reprieved.He w as transported for life on board the "FORTUNE" which sailedfor Australia on January 28th, 180 6. On arrival at Sydney, NewSouth Wales (12th July 1806) the convicts were transferred toth e "SOPHIA" which conveyed them to Port Darlymple in VanDiemen's Land (Tasmania). Chapman woul d have been amongst thefirst settlers at Launceston which was then being established asthe no rthern headquarters for Van Diemen's Land. On the 14thMarch 1814 in Launceston William CHAPMA N married ElizabethHERBERT,the daughter of John HERBERT("FIRST FLEET")and HannahBOLTON.The ce remony,was performed under the rites of St.John'sChurch by the Rev."Bobby" KNOPWOOD.The coupl e had sixchildren,four of whom lived to adulthood. In 1815 WilliamCHAPMAN signed a petition a gainst bushranging. In thelandholders Muster for 1819 Governor Macquarie of Sydney grantedCHA PMAN sixteen acres.In 1820 he had purchased more land wherehe harvested one hundred bushels o f wheat and ran thirty foursheep. He also employed one servant. He owned property inCharles S treet Launceston, Invermay and in the Evandale area.His residence was"North Esk Creek Farm" , in the area now knownas Ravenswood. CHAPMANS eldest daughter Sarah was taught to readand wr ite. Sadly she died in 1828. The youngest children Williamand Susan attended Launceston's fir st Sunday School during the1830s.CHAPMAN'S only surviving daughter Susan married John EliGOOD YER,a native of Warwickshire,England. Their children marriedinto the families ofMcGIVERON,SMI TH,CRAWFORD,MILLWOOD,HILL.ELMORE,CARTER,ROW,BASSETT and DUDMAN.CHAPMAN"S only other descenda nts reside inNew Zealand. They are the families descending from his eldestson James (1819 -18 60) who married the convict,Eliza HARRIS.William CHAPMAN died on the 29th January 1852, age d sixty. Hewas buried in the Anglican cemetery at Elphin Launceston. He wassurvived by his wi fe, two sons and one daughter. There were fourgrandchildren at this time.Henry John CHAPMAN , and Sarah, Marthaand John Eli GOODYER junior.

D: I2652

Name: John Eli GOODYER

Surname: Goodyer

Given Name: John Eli

Birth: 11 Apr 1823 in Coventry, Warwickshire

Death: 25 May 1908 in Ravenswood, Launceston, Tasmania

Burial: 27 May 1908 Cypress St. Cemetery, Launceston, Tasmania

_UID: A7DC4C01BC60A94CA1FAE37BD3FF9CF038C7

Note: He arrived on the convict ship "Egyptian" on 23 Aug 1839.Transported for life.

And there you have it.....well for one side of the family but the earliest known on Australian soil. :)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Woohoo!!! found it. Highway robbery.......

Convict Records: John Goodyer

hristened on 14 April 1823 in Bulkington, Warwickshire

Parents: Eli GOODYEAR and Jane (nee MADLIN)

John Eli Goodyer was 17 years old when transported.

John was 5’6” tall, brown hair, hazel eyes, single, freckled scar on right arm.

1846: Married Susanna Sarah Chapman(24/4/1830-13/5/1908). They had 13 children.

20/10/1847: TOL (ticket of leave)

May 1851: CP (conditional pardon)

9/6/1852: Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston) - John Goodyer, in the service of mr Chapman, North Est Creek, won 1st prize in the East Tamar Ploughing Competition.

25/5/1908: John died in Launceston, at the time of his death his occupation was listed as a Farmer and Cotton Weaver.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Interesting, couldn't for the life of me figure out where the last child between Hannah Bolton Moore and John Herberts youngest daughter went to.

ID: I4634

Name: Anne Noble Foveaux HERBERT

Surname: Herbert

Given Name: Anne Noble Foveaux

Sex: F

Birth: 19 May 1801 in Norfolk Island

_UID: 42EC028E32488448BEAC59EC3EDFE681379E

Baptism: 13 Feb 1803 Norfolk Island

Note: Her baptism, 13 Febuary 1803 was before that of her sisters.This leads to the assumption that they lived in separate homes. Lieutenant Governor Joseph Foveaux and his lady friend Ann Sherwin contributed their names at the childs christening and possibly adopted her. On 7 September 1804 the governor left on board the whaler "Albion". Ann aged 3 accompanied his entourage to England.

Hannah must have died in child birth. Those barstards stole my great aunt!!! So if John only took two of his kids to Tassy then what happened to the others? hmmm the plot thickens.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Birth and Parents

Joseph Foveaux was baptised in Millbrook Church, Bedfordshire, England on 6 April 1767. Family tradition indicates that his birth date was 10 April 1766. His parents were Joseph Foveaux and Elizabeth (née Wheeler) who were married in the same church on 1 March 1756. Joseph Foveaux senior was the Steward of the Ampthill Park estate owned by the Earls of Upper Ossory.

Military Career

Joseph Foveaux entered the British Army as an ensign in the 60th Regiment on 10 May 1789. He purchased a lieutenancy in the New South Wales Corps on 5 June 1789, and a captaincy in the same regiment on 6 April 1791. Subsequent promotions by purchase were to major (June 1796) and lieutenant-colonel (29 April 1802). He received a brevet promotion to colonel on 4 June 1811 and was appointed lieutenant-colonel of the Greek Light Infantry. He was appointed Inspecting Field Officer in Ireland in November 1811, serving in Cork and Waterford. He was promoted to major-general in June 1814 and to lieutenant-general on his retirement in 1830.

Civilian Career

Joseph Foveaux was appointed commandant at Parramatta, effectively making him the civilian as well as military commander, for twelve months from May 1792. He was Lieutenant-Governor of New South Wales from September 1796 to September 1799, and Lieutenant-Governor of Norfolk Island from 1800 to 1804, although he continued to be paid in the post until 1807. He served again as Lieutenant-Governor of New South Wales in 1808 to 1809.

Marriage

Joseph Foveaux began a relationship with Ann Sherwin in about December 1793. Their only child, Ann Noble Foveaux, was born on Norfolk Island on 19 May 1801. Joseph Foveaux and Ann Sherwin were married in All Saints' Church, Derby, England, on 17 November 1814. Just for good measure they married again at Marylebone, London on 25 January 1825.

Death

Joseph Foveaux died at his home, 21 York Buildings, New Road, Marylebone, London, England on 20 March 1846. He was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery, Paddington, with his wife who had died on 20 January 1840.

Fascinating Foveaux Facts

The first ever biography of Foveaux is Anne-Maree Whitaker's Joseph Foveaux; Power and Patronage in Early NSW. Click here for more information and a link to the publisher.

An interesting article on Foveaux by Reg Wright is 'The Fictions of "Bucky" Jones and the creators of Australian history'.

Foveaux Strait in New Zealand is named after him, as well as Foveaux Streets in Sydney and Canberra, Australia.

Jessie Lee Brown Foveaux's husband was probably a descendant of Joseph's cousin Henry Foveaux.

Bibliography

Fletcher, Brian, 'Joseph Foveaux', Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol 1, Melbourne University Press (1966)

Spencer, Mike, 'Foveaux', Derbyshire Life (November 2000)

Whitaker, Anne-Maree,'From Norfolk Island to Foveaux Strait: Joseph Foveaux's role in the expansion of whaling and sealing in early nineteenth century Australasia', The Great Circle: journal of the Australian Association for Maritime History, vol 26, no 1 (2004)

Whitaker, Anne-Maree, 'Joseph Foveaux: the Genealogy of Patronage', Descent, vol 26, pt 3 (1996)

Whitaker, Anne-Maree, 'Joseph Foveaux: "a Gentleman of High Reputation"', Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, vol 83, pt 1 (1997)

Whitaker, Anne-Maree, Joseph Foveaux: Power and Patronage in Early New South Wales, University of New South Wales Press (2000)

Whitaker, Anne-Maree, '"Primitive construction" or "Sound and stable"?: Joseph Foveaux's Public Buildings', History, no 75, (2003)

Wright, Reg, '"The Most Flourishing Spot out of Old England"', Tasmanian Historical Research Association Papers and Proceedings, vol 46, no 3 (1999)

Wright, Reg, 'Who was "Buckey" Jones?', Descent, vol 28, no 3 (1998)

OKAY NOW I"M REALLY PISSED OFF!!!! they steal my auntie then make out back in England she's their child..........I'm spitting chips here!!!! typical ****ing thieving whoring poms!!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Ever get those instances where you just have to say goodbye to people? Hmmmmm.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'ts Sunday morning and I should be in bed having a sleep in, but instead I promised to go to a one year olds birthday party .

The grandparents hate each other. The aunties and uncles play the "my child is better than your child" game .....oh joy. I'm the outsider, I get to sit there and watch it pan out . If a fight breaks out I'll film it for you all. Why should I suffer alone?

Return to “Journals”