Jj's Last Outpost.

Journals - The Events of Your Life.
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Ah, this is better! I do become bored so quickly and so easily. A brand new Journal with a brand new name. Hmmm hmmm, these fresh crisp new pages smell so ... so fresh! :wah:

I've been reading "The Lost Books of the Bible & The Forgotten Books of Eden." These were suppressed by the early church fathers who "compiled" the Bible and I can easily see why.

But more about this later ... Don't wanna start a new Journal off on such a controversial subject!

Let me lighten up a bit ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Is this beautiful or what? I can just imagine attending a ball with a lady dressed in this creation! Well I probably did ...

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

The Met says: High shoes with a strapped or laced front were known as “Grecian sandals” or “Grecian boots” in the 19th century. In about 1913, a new moniker appeared: the “tango boot.”

The dance craze of the 1910s encouraged footwear that was both showy and firmly secured to the foot, thus elevating the tango boot and its sister style, the tango shoe (a pump with crossing laces or straps which extended up the ankle), to prominence.

In this interpretation of the tango boot from the Brooklyn Museum collection, the flamboyant metallic material would serve to attract attention to the movement of the feet, whether on or off the dance floor.

Via: The Ornamented Being.
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Hands down coolest Victorian dress ever. Check out the parasol pocket on the skirt!!!

IMA says: This two-piece visiting dress is made in two shades of gray silk faille. The skirt is lavishly trimmed with pleated silk swags, silk fringe, flounces and piping. Pleated ruching and silk fringe are also used on the bodice. The skirt has a short train and is worn with a bustle. The triangular pocket on the right side of the skirt, trimmed with buttons and cord lacing, was designed to hold a parasol.

Via: The Ornamented Being.
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

In a word .... Awesome!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Lionel and John Barrymore and Joan Crawford during the filming of an “exterior” scene for Grand Hotel (Edmund Goulding, 1932).

The art deco-style hotel entrance, a front built on a soundstage, was designed by art director Cedric Gibbons.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

The cover of the original program for Gone With The WInd

The original set design for the inside of Tara in Gone With the WInd.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard.

Do not let the pain make you hate.

Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.

Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree,

You still believe it to be a beautiful place.”

Unknown
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

November 1938. "Fortune teller's cubicle, state fair. Donaldsonville, Louisiana."

35mm negative by Russell Lee, Farm Security Administration
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

“The most intriguing duel fought between women, and the sole one that featured exposed bosoms, took place in August 1892 in Verduz, the capitol of Liechtenstein, between Princess Pauline Metternich and the Countess Kielmannsegg.

It has gone down in history as the first “emancipated duel” because all parties involved, including the principals and their seconds were female … Before the proceedings began, the baroness pointed out that many insignificant injuries in duels often became septic due to strips of clothing being driven into the wound by the point of a sword. To counter this danger she prudently suggested that both parties should fight stripped of any garments above the waist.

Certainly, Baroness Lubinska was ahead of her time, taking an even more radical take on the (at the time) widely dismissed theories of British surgeon Joseph Lister, who in 1870 revolutionized surgical procedures with the introduction of antiseptic. With the precautions Baroness Lubinska recommended, the topless women duelists were less likely to suffer from an infection; indeed, it was a smart idea to fight semiclad.

Given the practicality of the baroness’ suggestion and the “emancipated” nature of the duel, it was agreed that the women would disrobe—after all, there would be no men present to ogle them. For the women, the decision to unbutton the tops of their dresses was not sexual; it was simply a way of preventing a duel of first blood from becoming a duel to the death.

It is humorous that most recounts of this historic event fail to mention two important things: the winner of the duel (Princess Metternich) and the reason why the women came to arms in the first place—they disagreed over the floral arrangements for an upcoming musical exhibition.”

Via: Ornamented Being.
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

I’m sorry, but none of those little Barbie’s on “Toddlers and Tiaras” have anything on Vivien Leigh when she was a baby.

I mean seriously, all those stupid mom’s should look at this and realize: “I don’t have to dress up and put fake stuff on my baby to make her beautiful …”

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

“There was no such person as Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn Monroe was an invention of hers. A genius invention that she created, like an author creates a character…”

Richard Avedon.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Myrna Loy at age six, with her cousin Laura Belle Wilder, in a photograph taken on the porch of her grandmother’s home. Cool hat Laura Belle!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Gold hand embroidered on red velvet ... Circa 1800.

The detail is breathtaking and it’s also amazing that this and so many other uniforms survived.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

The Met says: … "The rich color of the royal blue velvet is evocative of the original wearer who at that point in time would have been seen as a precious jewel who required continual attention and assistance. That perceived helplessness is also reflected in the cape’s lack of armholes, which would limit easy mobility."

"Pingat’s treatment of the trim completes the luxurious quality of the garment with a liberal application of guipure lace in vertical lines emphasizing the statuesque, but somewhat removed, appearance of the wearer."

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Beautiful!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Aside from reading "The Lost Books of the Bible" I am also reading "The Crippled Tree," the first volume of a history and biography of Han Suyin, the pen name of Elizabeth Comber, born Rosalie Elisabeth Kuanghu Chow. It covers the years 1885-1928.

Born in 1917, Rosalie tells of her early years growing up in China, the daughter of a Belgium educated Chinese engineer father and a Flemish Belgium mother. Amongst other things, she tells of the rise to power of Chiang Kaiskek in 1926.

At the time the Chinese Communists seemed finished and their guerilla armies unimportant. As one of her uncles said: “The Communists are finished and there are only a few bandits in Hunan. One is Chu Teh and another Mao something or other. They are of no importance and will soon be eliminated. They have a couple of hundred men, even less than the White Wolf bandit gang in our northern provinces.”

Personally, I have always loved the east and the more I read about the true history of China, the more I believe that they were far move civilized than the powers who so mercilessly exploited them in the past.

After the wars of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the western Powers inserted certain horrific clauses into the treaties that were concluded between them and China. One glaring example was an agreement that no foreigner could ever be brought to justice, no matter what they did in China; this was later extended to also include Chinese converts to Christianity.

One of their favorite sayings was: “The best way to get Europeans to like you is to ask them to lend you money!”

I just love the descriptive expressions they used in China too. For instance, what we in the west would call a god-child, they referred to as a niece or nephew-by-affection. Their name for what we refer to as “The Milky Way” was “The River of Heaven.”

Han Suyin .. .Photograph: Kathinka Fox)
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

The Sundance Kid or Harry Longabaugh as he was to known to his mom got his nickname after serving jail time in Sundance, Wyoming.

He was co-leader of the “Wild Bunch Gang” and aptly portrayed by Robert Redford in the movie “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.”

Butch Cassidy was the other half of the “Wild Bunch Gang” leadership team. The group was responsible for the longest string of bank and train robberies in the Old West. The late Paul Newman played Cassidy in the film version of Butchs’ life.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

1952 Standard Vanguard.

Couple on 1940s motorcycles.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

1950s Breakfast Nook. I'd like one please.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Cleveland Ohio ... Circa 1908. Bathing scene, Gordon Park.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

You got overcoats to sell, then you put them on display ... all over your building!

Copenhagen, 1940
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

What a great way to use an old suitcase! A brilliant idea!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Sigh ..........

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Food always looks good and tastes good when you're camping!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

So beautiful, the streets I like to wander … where history lives and can be experienced with all your senses.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Pair of gold armbands ... Hellenistic (Greek) Circa 200 b.c.

These imposing serpentine armbands represent two tritons, male and female, each holding a small winged Eros. The hoops behind the tritons’ heads were used to attach the armbands to the sleeves of a garment, for otherwise their weight (each over 6 1/2 ounces) would have caused them to slip down the arms.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

This divine neo-gothic bookstore, opened in 1906, contains what we consider to be the ultimate definition of a stairway to heaven. Livraria Lello, Porto, Portugal

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Lost for 1,600 years, the royal quarters of Cleopatra were discovered off the shores of Alexandria. A team of marine archaeologists, led by Frenchman, Franck Goddio, began excavating the ancient city in 1998. Historians believe the site was submerged by earthquakes and tidal waves, yet, astonishingly, several artifacts remained largely intact.

Amongst the discoveries were the foundations of the palace, shipwrecks, red granite columns, and statues of the goddess Isis and a sphinx. The Egyptian Government plans to create an underwater museum and hold tours of the site.

(Source: all-that-is-interesting.com)
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

The Edwin Smith papyrus, the world’s oldest surviving surgical document. Written in hieratic script in ancient Egypt around 1600 B.C., the text describes anatomical observations and the examination, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of 48 types of medical problems in exquisite detail.

Among the treatments described are closing wounds with sutures, preventing and curing infection with honey and moldy bread, stopping bleeding with raw meat, and immobilization of head and spinal cord injuries. Translated in 1930, the document reveals the sophistication and practicality of ancient Egyptian medicine. Plate 6 and 7 of the papyrus, pictured here, discuss facial trauma.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Eros earrings

Date: late 4th century B.C.

Medium: Gold

Credit Line: Dallas Museum of Art, Cecil and Ida Green Acquisition FundCulture: Greek

Openwork hairnet with medallion, Hellenistic, 200–150 b.c.

Greek, Ptolemaic

Gold

Earrings, mid-1st century a.d.

Sarmatian; Said to be from Olbia (modern Ukraine)

Gold, sardonyx

Hoop earrings with Egyptianizing crown, 3rd–2nd century b.c.

Greek

Gold with stone and glass

An ancient gold bowl made of solid gold taken from the tombs of an Egyptian Pharaoh and now found in the British Museum.

Egyptian Amulet in the shape of an ankh, 2nd-1st BC.

(via hawks-and-doves)

Necklace, Gold, A.D. 1st century, Pompeii

This necklace is one of the most beautiful pieces of jewellery discovered in the Vesuvian region. It is made up of 94 gold-leaf ivy leaves, which are connected by small rings partially masked by a small roundel. The clasps are smooth roundels.

Earrings, gold and quartz, found at Pompeii

centuriespast:

Rock-crystal rhyton. The crystal ring at the neck is decorated with gilt faïence; the beads on the handle were wound together with bronze wire. Palace of Zakros, Crete. c. 1450 B.C.

Ancient Greek pins

Ancient Greek Jewelry

Greek bracelet, first half of the 2nd century

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

These images are from a previous incident that took place at the same Game Park.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

I just love Berlin porcelain. The colors & artwork are so beautiful.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Imagine what this beautiful temple must have looked like at night in 432 BC!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Original Greek statues were brightly painted, but after thousands of years, those paints have worn away. Find out how shining a light on the statues can be that’s required to see them the way they were thousands of years ago.

Although it seems impossible to think that anything could be left to discover after thousands of years of wind, sun, sand, and art students, finding the long lost patterns on a piece of ancient Greek sculpture can be as easy as shining a lamp on it.

A technique called ‘raking light’ has been used to analyze art for a long time. A lamp is positioned carefully enough that the path of the light is almost parallel to the surface of the object. When used on paintings, this makes brushstrokes, grit, and dust obvious.

On statues, the effect is more subtle. Brush-strokes are impossible to see, but because different paints wear off at different rates, the stone is raised in some places – protected from erosion by its cap of paint – and lowered in others. Elaborate patterns become visible.
jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

The oldest worked gold known found in a grave near Varna, Bulgaria. 4400BC.

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Pure gold is so beautiful!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

... and got so claustrophobic I had to force my way back up thru the crowd coming down! Phew!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Among the finest brothers in arms who ever took a breath!

jones jones

Jj's Last Outpost.

Post by jones jones »

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

—Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

“A gentleman is simply a patient wolf.”

—Lana Turner

Return to “Journals”