The Chosen Is in The House.

Journals - The Events of Your Life.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

What’s with this unlucky 26? Guess it must be twice as unlucky as 13!

So what about the very beautiful and uninhibited Jean Harlow who was “discovered” by Mr. Howard Hughes? Apparently his movie “Hell’s Angels,” a 1930 American war film, was shot without sound and when the time came to get with it, so to speak and add a soundtrack, the flying scenes were easily fixed. I mean one Tiger Moth sounds like another Tiger Moths!

But when the female lead in the movie, the beautiful Norwegian Greta Nissen added her dialogue, nobody could understand her English which would have made her role as a British aristocrat pretty silly. So Jean Harlow took Greta’s part in the movie and was an instant success.

And when “The Platinum Blonde” was released in 1931, Jean turned into a real star. When MGM took over her contract it was rumoured that Hughes had released her because she’d rejected his advances. At MGM Jean met and in July 1932 married Paul Bern, an executive at the studio. She was 21 and he was 43. By all accounts Paul was a really nice guy, except for one small problem – he was already married to one Dorothy Millette and allegedly impotent to boot.

It seems Dorothy was in a clinic and suddenly, either by accident or design, she announced that she was coming home. When Paul broke the news to Jean she told him: “Buy her off or I’m history as far as you are concerned.” Dorothy’s body turned up in the Sacramento River and then Paul shot himself. Messy.

Despite what she’d said to him, it seems that Jean took Paul’s death badly and sort of spiralled out of control with grief. This manifested itself in some rather promiscuous behaviour in which she picked up strange guys and spent days holed up in seedy hotels with them. And all this while the studio combed the city in search of her.

After another failed marriage Jean suddenly collapsed and was hospitalized and diagnosed with uremic poisoning. It wasn’t until much, much later that it was revealed that she had suffered from a kidney disease since her teens.

Unfortunately he Christian Scientist mom refused to have her treated and used only prayer in an attempt to heal her daughter. Not surprisingly Jean died of cerebral oedema on June 7, 1937.

Her age? Well she was born in 1911 so you work it out.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

And of course the most beautiful of them all ... I am not going to say much about Miss Monroe because everyone knows her story or do they?

She was born in 1926 and died in 1962 ... 26 reversed!!

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Cute dolly with a composition head ... Very collectable (never sure if its collectable or collectible but I prefer the former) and quite valuable.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Great paint job! Not sure but it looks like a 1939 Chevvy?

1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket. Concept designed by Harley Earl

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Street Style Before Street Style: Francoise Hardy

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I could live here!

Photo via dialouges
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Unusual image of the super-group!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Not much "wardrobe" to test though.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

She's not really gonna skip ... is she?

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

She must be a ballerina!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Now why didn't I have a tree house like this when I was a kid? Come to think of it, why don't I have a tree house like this right now?

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Looks a bit like my avatar!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

A French word commonly used to describe a set of three or more matching pieces of jewelry; originated as a fine jewelry term but now widely used by vintage costume jewelry collectors to describe jewelry sets; two matched pieces are sometimes referred to as a demi-parure by jewelry collectors.

This parure consists of a necklace with a pendant, a bracelet and a pair of ear-rings. Enamelled and chased-gold links uniting sixteen enamelled miniatures, fourteen inscribed on the reverse with the identities of the figures portrayed.

The inscriptions on the backs of these enamelled miniatures identify the portraits as following: on the necklace from left to right, Mme de Parabere (mistress of the Regent, the duc d’Orléans), Princess de Lamballe (Marie Antoinette’s closest friend; Mme Elizabeth (sister of Louis XVI), Henriette d’Angleterre (sister of Charles 11 of England, wife of the Dauphin, Philippe d’Orléans), Mme Dubarry (mistress of Louis XV from 1769);

Marie Antoinette (Queen of France) on the pendant. The back of the miniature on the clasp is covered but the portrait appears to be that of Mme de Pompadour, mistress of Louis XV for twenty years (1744 - 64). On the bracelet, from left to right the portraits are of Mlle de Lavaliere (presumably Louise de la Valiere, mistress of Louis XIV), Marie Antoinette, Marquise de Sévigné (mistress of Louis XIV), Mme de Montespan (also a mistress of Louis X1V).

The inscription on the clasp is again covered, but the sitter may be Madame de Maintenon, last mistress of Louis XIV, whom he married in 1685. The earrings have Mme Elizabeth, the Princess de Lamballe, and Marie Antoinette twice; the upper miniature on the right shows her as Archduchesse d’Autriche, before she married Louis XVI.”

Via The ornamented being.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I so wish I owned one of these! Awesome and worth big money!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

This is such a happy, smiley image! c1920s.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab.

Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smokestacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark.

Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest Airlines.

Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true?

We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.

They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth.”

George R.R. Martin
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

The Moretta or Servetta Muta (translation: dumb maid-servant) is a black velvet, oval shaped mask that was worn by Venetian ladies. Covering all but the outer edge of the face, the Moretta was secured to the wearer by way of a small bit that was held in place by the teeth.

By the 18th centaury the use of the Bauta and Moretta masks to conceal the identity of ladies and gentlemen in the gambling houses (Il Ridotti) of Venice had become commonplace.

Many paintings of the crowded parlours of the public ridotto and coffee houses of this period were depicted by the artists Pietro (Falca) Longhi and Giovanni Antonio “Gianantonio” Guardi.

One way to shut her up! (Jj ducks!)
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I believe that any Southerner will understand what this means. Apparently this is the ultimate Southern insult.

First time I've heard of it.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Any British History people want to take a crack at this one? This fresco is in The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban . This fresco in the corner of the room containing the Holy Shrine of St. Alban.

Apparently it is the only medieval fresco to survive the destruction of the Protestant Reformation. It was boxed in some time before so it survived the eradication every other church artwork faced. It was re-discovered in the Victorian era when restoration was going on in the church. “The entire wall had remnants from the fresco left which proved that the inside of churches were bright and decorative.”

The date on this piece was around 1390. If that’s true then what’s going on with the Red roses decorating the bottom of the wall?

Maybe it’s the Tudor Roses, but if this is from 1390 then Richard II is the current King and a member of the House of Plantagenet (but if you remember your history then the House of York is a branch to the Royal House and their badge is the White Rose!)

Henry IV became king after Richard and was a member of the House of Lancaster whose badge during the War of the Roses was the Red Rose. Hence the red rose? Anyone want to help me figure that out?
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Made of blue velvet and embroidered with silver gilt thread, these shoes must have been worn for a special occasion. The latchets would have tied across the tongue with a decorative ribbon possibly gold in colour.

Could these shoes have been worn during the celebrations, which took place after the Restoration of Charles II in 1660?

Lady Mary was the wife of Sir John Stanhope of Elvaston Castle in Derbyshire. After Sir John’s death in 1638 she married Sir John Gell. She seems to have kept her links with the Stanhope family after she married again.

Via “Northampton Museums & Art Gallery”.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Bodice Ornament (with optional pendants): Netherlands ca. 1680-1700 : Rose-cut diamonds and hessonite garnets set in gold and silver.”

Via V&A
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

This enamelled gold mourning ring commemorates the death of Samuel Nicholets of Hertfordshire who died on 7th July 1661, as is recorded in the inscription inside the ring. The ring is hollow, and a lock of hair curls around within it, visible through the openwork of the enamelled decoration of skulls and coats of arms.”

V&A
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Ruskin married Effie Gray in 1848, when he was 29 and she was 19. On the couple’s wedding night, something about his bride — historians still debate exactly what — so horrified Ruskin that the union was not consummated.

“He alleged various reasons, hatred to children, religious motives, a desire to preserve my beauty, and, finally this last year he told me his true reason … that he had imagined women were quite different to what he saw I was, and that the reason he did not make me his wife was because he was disgusted with my person the first evening 10th April.”

Divorce was illegal, so Effie suffered for years before falling in love with Millais, a leading member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, a group of young painters whose bold style shocked and excited the Victorian art establishment.

She married Millais and went on to have eight children. But love came at a price. Annulment from Ruskin barred her from some social functions. She was not allowed in the presence of Queen Victoria precluding invitations to events at which the Queen was present.

A movie on this subject starring Dakota Fanning & Emma Thompson is due for release in June.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

“We’re bastards to the world and they’re bastards to us,” one Hells Angel told Newsweek in 1965. “When you walk into a place where people can see you, you want to look as repulsive and repugnant as possible. We are complete social outcasts — outsiders against society.”

Photo: Bill Ray/TIME & LIFE Pictures
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Bohemian Trailer house, built from an old rail car with kitchen, bathroom and ample living space coming in at 215 square feet.

Via The Tiny Life.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Now this is the way a book should be treated!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

This gold locket contains the hair of Marie Antoinette.

Via British Museum.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

This is so brilliant! The entire dress is made from reused objects (ie: cofee filters!)

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Trees cocooned in spiders webs after flooding in Pakistan, 7 December 2010 - Russell Watkins.

‘An unexpected side-effect of the 2010 flooding in parts of Sindh, Pakistan, was that millions of spiders climbed up into the trees to escape the rising flood waters; because of the scale of the flooding and the fact that the water took so long to recede, many trees became cocooned in spiders webs. People in the area had never seen this phenomenon before, but they also reported that there were less mosquitos than they would have expected, given the amount of standing water that was left. Not being bitten by mosquitos was one small blessing for people that had lost everything in the floods’

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Thank you Tiffany!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

By Tiffany & Company (American, 1837–present.)

"Diamonds had become so fashionable by the last quarter of the nineteenth century that their presence in American society was being noted in the daily press. On April 7, 1889, the New York Sun announced “Diamonds flash from the buttons of a baby’s layette, gleam on the dimpled hands of the tiniest child, sparkle on the young girl’s fingers, and blaze from the neck and ears and wrists of the society belle….”

With the discovery in 1869 of rich diamond fields in South Africa, Americans gained a new and more abundant source for the sparkling gems, which had previously come from India or Brazil. Coinciding with greater availability was the invention of new faceting techniques that sped production as well as enhancing the stone’s brilliance. Circular collet settings with foil and metal backings were replaced by more open settings that allowed light to shine through.

A particularly American fashion was the corsage piece, a garland of diamonds that was worn on the bodice or waist of a dress. The present example, set with 305 diamonds, was made as a flexible cascade of flowers graduated in size. Its owner, Susan Dwight Bliss (died 1966), donated a handsome collection of diamond jewelry to the Metropolitan Museum in the 1940s and ’50s.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

"Never let me lose the marvel of your statue-like eyes, or the accent the solitary rose of your breath places on my cheek at night. I am afraid of being, on this shore, a branchless trunk, and what I most regret is having no flower, pulp, or clay for the worm of my despair. If you are my hidden treasure, if you are my cross, my dampened pain, if I am a dog, and you alone my master, never let me lose what I have gained, and adorn the branches of your river with leaves of my estranged Autumn.”

Federico García Lorca - Sonnet of the Sweet Complaint
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

"So therefore, I dedicate myself to myself, to my art, my sleep, my dreams, my labors, my suffrances, my loneliness, my unique madness, my endless absorption and hunger- because I cannot dedicate myself to any human being."
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Wow ... I can't believe my journal is full and this is the last page!

So this is ....

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Jj’s Ignoramus False Preening (Or Words To That Affect)

I haven’t been able to spend much time on FG lately because I’m taking care of someone who had quite a serious operation on 16 May.

Be that as it may. On 24 June I logged in to FG and posted a reply to a thread. In response to my reply, the OP of this thread made the following post:

Just asking.............what are you doing in my thread ?

I thought we had a truce, by which we both steered clear of each other?

I don't mind you contributing to my thread to be honest........if you just keep a reign [sic] on your linguistic eccentricities, such as "Earthling"

Where she is employed has nothing to do with anything as far as I am concerned, why should it ? She is at least young enough to be my daughter, hence 'girl'.

I was rather taken aback by this nasty response so I posted this:

Citizen Bruv;

Just asking ...................Was it necessary to be so rude? Or have you decided to go this route so as to engage with me and thereby encourage me to continue to reply your thread?

The last time I looked there was no restriction upon who may and may not reply to threads posted on FG.

And for God's sake man, if you have to sink to the level of being facetious in order to get my attention by complaining about my "linguistic eccentricities", then please use a spell check.

I'm the Chosen one not a King so there is no need to speak of "reign." The correct terminology would have been "rein."

As for this meaningless jargon ... "Where she is employed has nothing to do with anything as far as I am concerned, why should it ? She is at least young enough to be my daughter, hence 'girl'.

Tsk … Tsk.

Then some or other nondescript earthling said he took a spelling mistake by the OP to be a deliberate well-chosen slur against me. Later I noticed that the OP had suggested in reply to another member that I might be a masochist. Well this is okay. Just meaningless drivel really … so what?

Then when one of my friends stood up for me, the nondescript earthling posted a reply addressed to her which probably caused a many furrowed brows followed by a rush of Googling, in order to decipher the flowery language used in the post.

Probably in response to my reference to Jabba the Hutt and Salacious B Crumb, the nondescript earthling spoke of an alien with green skin who lived on a diet of polystyrene cups and that among other things, I am an ignoramus. Fair enough … we’re all entitled to our opinion.

Now Citizen Bruv … You wrote this:

Thanks for the lesson.

I remember why we were not talking now, you take umbrage at each and every or indeed any presumed slight, especially from your own peculiarly self aggrandising position, which even after all this time still makes me squirm.

Please keep contributing to any thread you feel the need in your own pretentious way, I shall be endeavouring to avoid any further encounters, trust I am strong enough.

I shall be wiping my feet as I leave.

Read it again a few times and then ask yourself this question:

Do I really, really want to be a clone of the nondescript earthling?

Just asking, but I know what my answer would be.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Die klomp doose luister nie eers na my so ek sal maar in Afrikaans praat. Die ergste van die lot is die Britte wat dink hulle is God se verkieste. So ver hulle aangaan is die wat nie 'n Brit is, nie deel van die "klub."

Dankie vader vir die Amerikaners wat heelwat meer beskaaf is en meer vriendelik. So ver die ander aangaan is "poeste" die beste beskrywing wat ek aan kan dink. :yh_rotfl

Return to “Journals”