Well - Just thoughts and Happenings !

Journals - The Events of Your Life.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I've been sitting thinking about stuff I've done that may have caused other people upsets. I must have done plenty! Don't get me wrong, I probably deserve all the sh1t - it's just that I can't remember many specifics.

All in all, I've had a good life. Probably much much better than a lot of folks - at least I'm not too bad physically. I've found friends................................ and I've lost friends, which is probably my fault. Now I will think on about what I shall do.

The one thing I just cannot and will not allow, is non-relatives damaging my family in any way. My family is my life, and I will protect them to the best of my ability. Unfortunately, this time, I have failed them. These outsiders that we befriended some years ago have succeeded in damaging my little family, probably beyond repair, and maybe they are happy with this situation.

I vow that I will never get deeply involved with non-relatives ever again - I will never trust anybody like that. I will never allow myself to get that close to people, who are not blood related. We have been severely hurt, and it will no doubt last a lifetime.

At present, I am at my lowest ebb, so I apologise for this miserable post. I always told myself that I would never open a journal thread but something inside told me that it may help me a little if I put some words down, so I hope you will understand. As I said earlier, I have to consider very carefully what I will do now. With my family in pieces and my head all over the place, it would probably be a wise move to just try to get it together as best I can, try to chill if I can, and try to appear strong in front of my family.

My plans for moving into the country are on hold for the forseable future - my dreams consequently, are shattered - for the time being. But, hey, who's to say what lies ahead? There, I've started to be a little positive...................... so here's hoping !

The sad thing about all this, is that it has changed my 'happy-go-lucky' attitude to life. It will be a long time, if ever, that I can get back to that.................... and that, I regret deeply.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I thought I'd change the mood a bit. I've had a good moan, so I think I'll try to be a bit more positive. I was thinking, the other day, of the times I had when I was the member of a harmony/dance trio. We were semi professional, worked around Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, and Lincolnshire. We worked mostly Working Mens Clubs, Miners Welfares, quite a lot of private dinner dances, wedding receptions, birthdays, etc. etc. We really enjoyed playing in the band, and getting paid for enjoying ourselves :wah:

We used to play everything from rock-and-roll to old time dances and everything in between. As we played an awful lot of Working Mens Clubs where they had entertainment on Saturday night, Sunday lunchtime, and Sunday evenings, we had to have a terrific repertoire so that we could avoid repeating songs on the three visits to a club. It more often than not amounted to about 6 hours of playing, If you reckoned on 3 mins per song on average (mostly longer in reality), we had to have a repertoire of a minimum of 120 songs. We did quite a few medleys, so that would increase the number of songs, and then we would have to have quite a few extra songs in reserve. I think if I sat down and went through my music, and my various lists, I suppose we knew over 200 songs, particularly as we tried to keep up with the pop charts of the day.

It was quite hard work, with rehearsals, learning new songs all the time, and in my case, I used to either buy the record and sheet music or record songs off the radio, and write out the dots and work out the chords. There were reams of manuscripts that I'd written out from broadcast songs, and I wrote the appropriate chords on top of the treble clef lines, for me to read for my guitar. Brett on keyboards would have the music lying flat on the organ, and I would be in the middle, and if I needed to read the music I could glance over to Brett's copy. Our drummer John was the other side of me to my right. We all sang, solo and harmony, so there were always changes of lead vocals during our set. I was always mindful of having to listen to the same lead vocal all evening, could get a bit 'samey'.

I was very proud of the fact that we never had to get work through an agency. It was repeat business at the working mens' clubs, where we would take dates for the year ahead, and nearly all the private dances, and dinner dances etc. came through recommendations from people who had seen us at the clubs. The working mens' clubs were our 'bread and butter' gigs, and the private events were much more lucrative. Of course at the WMCs there was the inevitable pause for the 'sacred' bingo, but we didn't mind this as it gave us a sort of 'natural break'. We used to laugh because there would always be a hubub of chatter all through our set, then when bingo started, you could hear a flaming pin drop! I remember at one of these WMCs it came to bingo time and we took our break, going in a back room to have a cigarette and a shandy (we all had to drive to and from the clubs). After about 5 or so minutes the Entertainment Secretary came into the room, looking a little flustered - "Could you turn off the guitar amplifier, it's interrupting the caller with police radio calls coming through it !" I went up to the stage and sure enough there was this rather loud tinny voice busily giving a report about something to do with a vehicle check ! I turned my amp. off and the voice disappeared. Several people clapped their approval :wah:

I was a little curious and went outside into the carpark of the club and at the side of the road quite near to the club wall, was a police patrol car ! I knocked on the driver's window, and when the police officer wound the window down, I asked him how long he was likely to be there as his radio was bleeding over onto the amplification gear in the club, and everybody could hear everything that he said !

Needless to say, he moved off. :wah: A sort of roll reversal - a member of the public moving on a 'bobby' :yh_rotfl

I could write a book about the exploits and happenings to our band, some almost unbelievable ! They were great years, and I have very fond memories of all the fun we had, and of course the money we made. ;) :D

Unfortunately we never did have the opportunity of getting a recording of any of our gigs, and we never made any studio recordings. That is the only regret I have about those days, because we were quite a good band and it would have been nice to have had an actual recording. :(

Well here's a couple of the songs we used to sing, done by the original artistes.

YouTube - Eurovision 1972 - The New Seekers - Beg, steal or borrow

YouTube - January - Pilot (remastered HQ audio)

YouTube - The first time (ever I saw your face) Roberta Flack
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

When I think that we only had 3 voices, and the New Seekers had 5 voices, we didn't do too badly singing stuff like this. Do you remember the Coca Cola advert?

YouTube - New Seekers - I'd Like ToTeach The World To Sing

I also enjoyed doing this one, even though they had more voices than us, we still made a passable rendition !

YouTube - Pussycat - Mississippi (Original Promo)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Back to my band days! Oh we had such fun ! I can vividly remember playing at a wedding reception at Coalville in Leicestershire (UK), it was a mining area so the Miners Welfare was a regular gig for us, and it was always very busy - a huge place!

However, this wedding reception was held at a smaller club in Coalville, and I just can't remember the flippin name of it! We'd played for about an hour into the second set, we'd already played an hour and had a break, when the bride's dad was having a bit of difficulty getting another drink. The bar had been closed as the time for the reception's end was imminent. The steward refused to open the bar again, or get another drink for the bride's dad, so dad decided to get a little stroppy. He was well oiled by this time and was swaying about a little. We kept playing, a bit of rock and roll I think. The groom's dad approached the bride's dad to calm him down a little, but received a fairly decent punch on the chest for his pains! Oops, we got trouble! There developed quite a brawl between the two dads and several male guests were trying to separate them, and failing badly! The bride started to cry - the bride's mum was joining in and thwacking the groom's dad with her handbag - the groom was trying to console the bride - people were shouting and pushing, some still trying to separate the warring dads, who were by now rolling around on the floor and haymaking punches at each other. The band kept playing :wah: We decided it would be best just to keep on playing! John, our drummer, was worried about his drums getting damaged, so I signalled a couple of male guests, who were trying to keep out of the way of the brawl, and they stood infront of the low stage, ready to stave off any problems.

The brawl was easing down, mainly because the two dads were tiring quite rapidly :wah: It was the opportunity for several male guests to drag them apart and hold them well away from each other. The bride was still crying, and her mother was verbally berating her husband for behaving like a football yob.

I know this, because we could hear her yelling at him, above the volume of our music !!! The club manager approached us and asked us to finish playing, and presented Brett (our organist) with our payment (thank goodness!).

By the time we had packed all our gear away in our various vehicles, the club was quiet, and most of the people had gone home. The bride and groom had left a while before, off on their honeymoon, and there were staff clearing up the debris that was once a wedding reception! I think that wedding will be for ever remembered for all the wrong reasons, and I wonder if those two families ever made friends again. I hope so.

Some more songs that were in our repertoire (done by the original artistes)

I sung this when we played for my sister's 18th birthday, it was the first time my mum had heard us playing - she got wet eyes during this song - it was the first time she had heard it, and thought it was a lovely song!

YouTube - ROBERTA FLACK - Killing Me Softly (With His Song)

A bit of 'Glam Rock' :wah:

YouTube - Sweet Blockbuster

This recording is a bit special - look out for Eric Capton, George Harrison's son, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, Tom Petty and Billy Preston main vocal.

YouTube - My Sweet Lord, concert in tribute to George Harrison, two years after his death.

Our drummer John sang this one - he is still singing, fronting a big band !

YouTube - Frank Sinatra - I get a kick out of you
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Sometimes, things happen that totally change your demeanour, and it can happen so suddenly. One minute you're fine, fairly cheerful, then something occurs that changes all that in a blink! I'm not having a good day today, because that has happened to me. I'll probably get myself around it at some time, but in the mean time I feel so down. I suppose this happens to most of us from time to time, and we just have to get over it and carry on till the mood lifts again.

YouTube - Avril Lavigne - I Miss You/Slipped Away

At the moment I am fighting shy of posting because I may not say the right things, or I may even go do-lally in the word games - what a waste of space they are!!! Still, I have been guilty of participating from time to time, but that is only out of frustration and just to get something out of my system!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Today Tuesday 13th July is not a good day for us. In a short while we will be taking our beloved German Shepherd dog, Rex, for his last car ride. He has lost most of the use of his back legs, and it has happened fairly suddenly. We just cannot bear to see him finding it so very difficult to stand, to get up from lying down, and to walk very haltingly nearly falling over. We have left his harness on him so we can support him when he needs to get up and walk. We have to help lift him when he does want to get up and he is such a proud beautiful dog - and you can see the sadness and the 'knowing' in his lovely eyes. He loves his food, he drinks water regularly, he is in discomfort but (as far as we can tell anyway) he is in no pain. His eyes tell us that he knows he is near the end of his time here, and I think at 15 3/4 years of age, he is trying to tell us that he needs to go to that wonderful place where he will be back to full fitness and able to run for ever. It breaks our hearts to part with him, particularly when he still has a good appetite, his eyes, hearing and sense of smell are still very good. But his muscles in his back legs are so reduced, he has not strength there, although his front legs are still very strong. We can't bear for him to be made to feel so undignified - he is a very proud dog.

Rex, we will never forget you, my wonderful, loving and totally loyal friend.

Bless your dear heart.........................enjoy your doggy world and meeting up with all our other lovely dogs, particularly Lady. Say hi to Fred, Tinker, Barney - will remember them all with much love and wonderful memories.

XXX
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

He's gone. It was so quick, and he felt nothing, he just went to sleep.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Wow, that was a long gap from my last post in here!

Maybe it's time to put something else in this thread. Here's a remarkable song (IMO), and no we never sang this one in my band. :yh_tong2

It's just a good melody, effective arrangement, beautiful words, and beautifully sung by Colin Blunstone. I feel it is a very pertinent song for me. Listen to the words, they are for my friends.

YouTube - Alan Parsons Project - Old And Wise -updated
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I was thinking, the other day, how some people don't bother to check their e-mails. I don't check mine every day but I do try to, just to make sure I haven't missed somebody's important message and need a reply. Those people who never bother from one week to another, I really can't understand why they give out their e-mail address to others if they're not going to check for mail. The same sort of thing happens with Private Messages ! Now I know that the recipient gets a notification when somebody has sent them a PM, so why are they being so rude in not acknowledging they've received your PM at least. Even allowing for a recipient being away for a few days, they should have noticed an 'unread PM' notification when they do come online!

A while ago a member latched on to other members and plagued the life out of them with constant e-mails and PMs, sometimes as many as 15 a day, and nearly the same quantity of PMs. I was one of those recipients and I nearly stopped coming on the internet because of it. Now the reason I've just said all that is that I have sent a Merry Christmas e-card to a member, I know it has been sent but it has not been 'viewed' yet, hence my query about people checking their e-mails. Also I have sent a PM to that same member about something entirely different and I thought I would get a reply, alas not - that was a month ago.

I do not want to appear to be similar to that member who sent dozens of emails to people, so I will not send any more emails or PMs (I only sent a couple any way !) and I shall assume that this particular member wants some space and to be left alone, and I shall leave it to them to contact me.

It really isn't worth forming a friendship on the internet is it ? You get let down too many times, and if you get too deeply involved with somebody it seems to bring only hurt. I've just had a thought that it may be me- something that I do or say that upsets people so they stop communicating with me. I don't know. Maybe it's not.

I must confess that it has happened to me 3 or 4 times, so maybe it is me. Oh well, I'll just carry on and cast it all from my mind. Yes people come and go, it's no big deal is it? :rolleyes:

I believe that everything

happens for a reason.

People change so that you

can learn to let go. Things

that go wrong so that

you appreciate them when

they're right. You believe

lies so you'll eventually learn

to trust no one but yourself,

and sometimes good things

fall apart so better things

can fall together, anon