Iron Ring sculpture planned for Welsh castle

A forum to discuss local issues in Wales.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Oh dear.

More than 5,000 people sign petition opposing Iron Ring sculpture planned for Welsh castle - Wales Online

Mind you in scotland a labour council is trying to build a housing estate on the site of the battle of banbnockburn. Depends on the size of the bribe whether it goes ahead i suppose.
minks

Post by minks »

we have a giant blue ring on the north side of our city as you enter along the QE Highway.... disgusting waste of money, and it has a pair of antenna like lights on the top and it looks like a preschoolers version of a teletubby head.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
travelingjack

Post by travelingjack »

What annoys me is they waste so much money on this stuff and the towns themselves are going to hell , hospitals and doctors surgeries and understaffed and waiting times to see docs can be up to 2 weeks

About 8 years back 400,000 pound was spend on one of these circle sculptures we are in debt up to our neck and we waste money on unnessesery stuff all the time , billions on a train track that isn't needed just to save half hr on a journey I'll stop before I rant on and on , make s me mad
gmc

Post by gmc »

travelingjack;1511199 wrote: What annoys me is they waste so much money on this stuff and the towns themselves are going to hell , hospitals and doctors surgeries and understaffed and waiting times to see docs can be up to 2 weeks

About 8 years back 400,000 pound was spend on one of these circle sculptures we are in debt up to our neck and we waste money on unnessesery stuff all the time , billions on a train track that isn't needed just to save half hr on a journey I'll stop before I rant on and on , make s me mad

Especially when there are large swathes of the country that don't yet have broadband. Why do you need high speed rail links when you can video conference saving time and money.

Along the M8 they have a number oif sculptures OK in themselves but one is a horn

Commissioned by West Lothian Council and designed by Dundee artists Matthew Dalziel and Louise Scullion, The Horn broadcasts music, poetry and famous quotes at traffic on the west-bound carriageway in windy weather.

The likelihood of anyone hearing in in a passing car is not something anyone thought to point out all it does is annoy local residents.

You both missed the point abouit erecting a sculpture in wales to celebrate the man who conquered it.
spot

Post by spot »

What a scandalous abusive sculpture that is, given its setting. I find it disgusting.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... -iron-ring

There's the petition.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I've mixed feelings about the proposed Iron Ring sculpture:

On the one hand I can understand why the North Welsh might be upset about it celebrating their conquest, if that's what they decide it means. Why not have a statue of Owain Glyndwr standing defiant? Or something more general symbolising Welsh resistance down the centuries if that's what they want?

On the other hand I rather like public art of this sort in principle. I'm open to correction here, but I have the impression that The Angel of the North is widely liked and approved of.

Are people against any sculpture or art, or just this example?

The idea of building a housing estate on the site of the Battle of Bannockburn strikes me as sacrilegeous and I'm English! The historian in me is horrified at the idea.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I've always been opposed to the obscene amounts that are ploughed into arty-farty projects while there are still people starving, living homeless on the streets. More often than not they are merely a money maker for the so-called 'artist', who usually has no actual artistic talent apart from in the art of convincing others that he / she some artistic genius who only the higher intellects will appreciate (aka Emperor's New Clothes syndrome). As for being a symbol of oppression - what about the Glass Half Empty / Glass Half Full argument? Perhaps there was oppression in the past. There was oppression everywhere. We have oppression now, under Theresa May. It is / will be history. Every living moment is history. You will probably find that wherever you go in the country you will hard pressed to find a single patch of land that has no historical significance of some kind or another. Lines have to be drawn otherwise there will be no land left for anyone to live in.
spot

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1511226 wrote: I have the impression that The Angel of the North is widely liked and approved of.

Are people against any sculpture or art, or just this example?The Angel of the North did not slaughter all the first-born of Northumbria, unlike Edward Longshanks around Conwy. Try erecting a statue of the Angel of the Lord in Tahrir Square and see how long it stays standing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Maybe they should build a sculpture like that at berwick on tweed maybe an iron hammer to celebrate edwards nickname and an iron arrow at hastings to celbrate the french invasion get nigel farage to inaugurate it.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

spot;1511239 wrote: The Angel of the North did not slaughter all the first-born of Northumbria, unlike Edward Longshanks around Conwy. Try erecting a statue of the Angel of the Lord in Tahrir Square and see how long it stays standing.

Crikey...

This was what? 700 years ago?

Should we be still blaming the Romans now for the murder and rape of the Iceni? The Normans for the Harrowing of the North? People back then were brutal by modern western standards. You can stand there nobly wrapped in the symbols of martyrdom by proxy if it makes you feel good but it doesn't impress from this distance.

The positive reaction to the slaughters mentioned, or more recently the atrocities of the 2nd WW or the Balkans War(s) is to create and maintain an international organisation whose main purpose is the prevention of conflicts between the peoples who produced the atrocities committed across Europe throughout history: the EU. Which we are leaving.

edit: And if you want a good symbol to have there, have an anti-war work of art of some sort. Something speaking of the universal values we aspire to but so rarely achieve: Peace, love, justice, mercy, in opposition to massacre and horror. Art can do that. And if it's something children can play on, so much the better.

chuckle. It's also an initiative of the Welsh Government. This is beginning to feel more like a Gwynedd/Dyfed fight...certainly as an Englishman I've no right to interfere in an internal Welsh matter. Up to you to sort out. (cue statue of clenched fist with extended middle digit 30m high at the West end of the Severn Bridge, gesturing East...;))

edit edit: I love devolution. :)

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

gmc;1511242 wrote: Maybe they should build a sculpture like that at berwick on tweed maybe an iron hammer to celebrate edwards nickname and an iron arrow at hastings to celbrate the french invasion get nigel farage to inaugurate it.

There are already memorials for the battle of Hastings - ever heard of Battle Abbey? Hastings is celebrated with re-enactments. There are Roman re-enactment groups as well. And Viking, and god knows they made a mess of the place!

And besides, this is entirely the Welsh doing it. It's not something the English have imposed. So it's like the Scottish Parliament voting to erect a statue of a hairy Scottish buttock with an English arrow stuck in it at Falkirk, if that's how you want to see it.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1511269 wrote: There are already memorials for the battle of Hastings - ever heard of Battle Abbey? Hastings is celebrated with re-enactments. There are Roman re-enactment groups as well. And Viking, and god knows they made a mess of the place!

And besides, this is entirely the Welsh doing it. It's not something the English have imposed. So it's like the Scottish Parliament voting to erect a statue of a hairy Scottish buttock with an English arrow stuck in it at Falkirk, if that's how you want to see it.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Didn't think it was but I bet plaid cymru are having a quiet laugh to themselves. The snp success is due as much to the incompetence and arrogance of the labour party when jim murphy took over yopu juast knew they werew doomed.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

gmc;1511270 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Didn't think it was but I bet plaid cymru are having a quiet laugh to themselves. The snp success is due as much to the incompetence and arrogance of the labour party when jim murphy took over yopu juast knew they werew doomed.

Yeah, that's probably true. But re Plaid Cymru, Wales turned out to be strongly brexit which actually ties them closer to England. I never expected Wales to end up the home of UKIP! So there is a counter force, if you like. Lord knows what's going to happen in Northern Ireland. I just know we are still too close to the Troubles for comfort, on top of the current issues with Stormont. Scotland - well, brexit weakens the ties further. It would not surprise me to see the end of the Anglo-Scottish Union in the next decade.

spot

Post by spot »

Those who kept an eye open will have seen decency has prevailed and the proposal has been scrapped.

Return to “Wales”