Spring is in the air,

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
capt_buzzard

Spring is in the air,

Post by capt_buzzard »

The Trushes are singing in the trees, frogs are spawning in the pond, bees are buzzing round the garden and daffodils are opening their trumpets in the flowerbed. Scottish winters are not what they used to be.

The authors of a new report that claims the country now has a similar climate to that on the south coast of England a decade ago have calculated that spring is now arriving in Scotland significantly earlier.

The seven-year study, compiled by the Woodland Trust, proves that the season began four weeks earlier in 2004 than it did in 1920. Spring 2005 could be the earliest yet.

A series of sightings support the claim that the country is experiencing warmer winters, including the discovery of bumblebees and ladybirds in December, four months before they would usually be expected.

Frogspawn was found in Inverness-shire on January 16, the earliest date ever recorded in that part of the country, and several peacock butterflies were spotted in Edinburgh 12 weeks ahead of schedule.

Several species of birds, including swallows, song trushes and housemartins, have also appeared well before they were expected.Yes Spring is in the air

Attached files
capt_buzzard

Spring is in the air,

Post by capt_buzzard »

Where is the Scotsman when you need him? Give us an update report up in them HighLands?
busybee

Spring is in the air,

Post by busybee »

Doesn't feel like spring here in Midlothian. Although it was close to it last week, i think we actually had some sunshine. This morning we were coverd in a crispy thick white blanket of snow, which has since been washed away with the rain and now the sun is trying to smile on us.............4 seasons in one day!

It's never anything but sunny and warm here in the garden, am enjoying the pollen here.

Busybee :-6
capt_buzzard

Spring is in the air,

Post by capt_buzzard »

Welcome to Forum Garden BusyBee
buttercup

Spring is in the air,

Post by buttercup »

i must admit the summer is way too hot for me, i get blinding headaches & have to wear a large brimmed hat & sunglasses, i also am not a big fan of being 'sweaty' other than summer the scottish climate suits me perfectly

Return to “Scotland”