Patch Offer For Child Smokers

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Scottish children as young as 14 will be offered free nicotine patches in a drive to reduce under-age smoking.

Smokers in schools and youth community centres will be put on courses of nicotine patches, gum or tablets in an effort to reduce disturbingly high cancer rates.

The pilot scheme is to be launched in Lanarkshire, where almost half of the deaths from cancer are linked to smoking.

Daily Telegraph London UK
busybee

Post by busybee »

I think the real treatment should be educating the children not to start in the first place......the question is ....HOW?

Maybe the banning of smoking in public places will do something to add to the sigma of smoking behaviour but children are more influenced by what their peers are doing. And there's such a feeling of being "grown-up" when kids start to smoke.

Nicotine is addictive, so why give it to the children as patches?

Busybee :-6
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Ban the sale of cigarettes. Also ban smoking in all public places. We did here and it works. I'm voting for the ban on alcohol in public next. Our parks are full of teens drinking cans of beer everyday.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

And the very best of Irish luck to him.

Attached files
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

slushpuppy wrote: Cheers capn buzzard, cute butt for a leprechaun by the way! :wah:Te Ha, I'm a member of the blood is strong Scottish forum, www.thebloodisstrong.com

Return to “Scotland”