High Tea

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
lady cop

High Tea

Post by lady cop »

sssshhhhh...this is a secret. i LOVE Christmas, but i am having fun being scrooge. someone has to do it. ;)
booradley

High Tea

Post by booradley »

Astra wrote: Hallo Bridget. High tea at my Grans was always something savoury like beans, eggs or sardines on toast, followed by bread and marge, then cake or tinned fruit. Sometimes if we were very lucky it would get corned beef hash or bubble and squeak with a fried egg on top. Yummy!!

Spect you've done it by now...do hope it was a roaring success.

PS As a matter of interest, what kind of trouble are we in over here? I hadn't noticed anything unusual!!! :)

did you ever get tinned fruit and carnation served with bread and butter to "fill you up" or was that just my nan? Bless her, she brought up a huge family on next to no money.

We used to get left over yorkshire pudding served hot with treacle and custard too....now that was nice!
Bridget

High Tea

Post by Bridget »

This is what my mother used to fill us up with when I was a child. Canned fruit with milk poured over it. 2-peanut butter and karo syrup in a saucer which we wiped up with bread crusts. 3-bacon grease soaked up with bread. 4-a glass of milk with broken soda crackers in it. Which we ate with a spoon then drank the milk.5-a slice of bread with margarine and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Thats for starters, are you gagging yet? :-2
l.plates

High Tea

Post by l.plates »

HI

Try this site goes into all you need to no about planning High Tea

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/hig ... ghtea.html
Bridget

High Tea

Post by Bridget »

Thanks l.plates for the web address. Went there and it was very down to earth for us Americans and helpful. Appreciate everyones imput. Happy Holidays.
Bez

High Tea

Post by Bez »

Someone at work told me that they used to have SUGAR sandwiches......and....condensed milk sandwiches....isn't that the thick, gooey, really sweet stuff ??
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bridget

High Tea

Post by Bridget »

When I was a kid sugar and cinnamon sandwiches were common but I have never heard of condensed milk sandwiches. Sounds very unappetizing. I used to make sandwiches of two pieces of bread with Miracle Whip on them. MW is a form of mayonnaise. Bez did you eat in England, bread smeared with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Even today if I can't sleep I get up and get me a glass of milk, toast me some bread spred marj.,sugar and cinnamon on them. Great snack, but have to be careful husband doesn't wake up and want some.
StupidCowboyTricks

High Tea

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

When you do the "beans on toast" thing how do each of you do it? :confused:
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Bridget

High Tea

Post by Bridget »

What beans? Speaking of beans my husband said when he was a kid they spread cooked navy beans on bread and mashed them down and ate them.
ComfortablyNumb

High Tea

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

Mum and Dad always had high tea. They sometimes had welsh rarebit or buck rarebit or a kedgeree to start (winter), little triangle cucumber sandwiches and petit fours in summer.

Everything had to be served on the best Spode china (it's not 'high' tea on earthenware!) NO jars on the table. Two or three tier cake stands with scones, kunzel cakes etc. Plenty of fresh clotted cream and strawberry preserve (NOT jam).

Ah, memories.
abbey

High Tea

Post by abbey »

ComfortablyNumb wrote: Mum and Dad always had high tea. They sometimes had welsh rarebit or buck rarebit or a kedgeree to start (winter), little triangle cucumber sandwiches and petit fours in summer.

Everything had to be served on the best Spode china (it's not 'high' tea on earthenware!) NO jars on the table. Two or three tier cake stands with scones, kunzel cakes etc. Plenty of fresh clotted cream and strawberry preserve (NOT jam).

Ah, memories.I'd love to have come to tea Comfort, sounds so.... English!
teech

High Tea

Post by teech »

For those Brits who haven't heard of condensed milk sandwiches, did you never watch T.I.S.W.A.S?

Being Yorkshire born and bred and brought up in a working class house (by 'eck me dad were a cloth finisher and me mam were a warper down t'mill) our Sundays revolved around the Yorkshire pudding.

The batter was made at breakfast time so as to give it a good 4 hours standing. Allows the gluten to do something apparently. Sunday dinner (at midday) would start with Yorkshire puddings with gravy. Fill up on them before the joint and veg are presented and you don't eat as much! Tea time was left over Yorkshires with jam or golden syrup (although calling the puddings that had puposely been cooked to have at teatime leftovers is a misnomer!).

Interestingly, in my experience, different areas of Yorkshire value different qualities in their puddings. I've lived in all three ridings and we in the west favour a stodgy base with crisp sides, the North like crispy bowls (your Aunt Bessie type) and the East like puddings that puff up almost like souffles. My mum makes the best ones though ;)
ComfortablyNumb

High Tea

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

teech wrote: For those Brits who haven't heard of condensed milk sandwiches, did you never watch T.I.S.W.A.S?

Being Yorkshire born and bred and brought up in a working class house (by 'eck me dad were a cloth finisher and me mam were a warper down t'mill) our Sundays revolved around the Yorkshire pudding.

The batter was made at breakfast time so as to give it a good 4 hours standing. Allows the gluten to do something apparently. Sunday dinner (at midday) would start with Yorkshire puddings with gravy. Fill up on them before the joint and veg are presented and you don't eat as much! Tea time was left over Yorkshires with jam or golden syrup (although calling the puddings that had puposely been cooked to have at teatime leftovers is a misnomer!).

Interestingly, in my experience, different areas of Yorkshire value different qualities in their puddings. I've lived in all three ridings and we in the west favour a stodgy base with crisp sides, the North like crispy bowls (your Aunt Bessie type) and the East like puddings that puff up almost like souffles. My mum makes the best ones though ;)

That just made me hungry!

I used to have trouble with Yorkshire Pudding until I found the BBC winner (some competition for the best).

3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup cold water

one large farm egg

Yes, left to stand awhile. Makes perfect ones. If I want soft in the middle I cook it in a large tin, and for big puffy ones that you can fill with gravy I use a muffin tin - piping hot fat of course!
Yavanna

High Tea

Post by Yavanna »

It goes without saying that the only vital element in a high tea is a scone with Cornish clotted cream. The Devonshire clotted cream is an interloper of the highest order. I refute it utterly.

Gerald, would you pass the tea, dear ? :p

My dad's a Geordie and many's the time he had pease pudding on a stotty for his tea (pease pudding.....eewwwwww)
Betty Boop

High Tea

Post by Betty Boop »

Yavanna wrote: It goes without saying that the only vital element in a high tea is a scone with Cornish clotted cream. The Devonshire clotted cream is an interloper of the highest order. I refute it utterly.

Gerald, would you pass the tea, dear ? :p

My dad's a Geordie and many's the time he had pease pudding on a stotty for his tea (pease pudding.....eewwwwww)

Cornish clotted cream is the original and best!

Nothing to do with High Tea, but my grandparents were Geordies too.
Yavanna

High Tea

Post by Yavanna »

Eeeee, hinny, them Geordies get aroond, pet !
St Ives

High Tea

Post by St Ives »

My paternal grandmother used to insist we had dripping sandwiches for tea.

Choice was dripping and marmite or dripping and salt n pepper. Both were awful so we always tried to get out of going to visit! :yh_sick
Yavanna

High Tea

Post by Yavanna »

St Ives wrote: Choice was dripping and marmite or dripping and salt n pepper.

:eek: That's like a choice between burning or freezing to death.

Return to “England”