Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14726
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by G#Gill »

Spot, I do wish you would not do that ! Nowhere have I laid the blame at the foot of children ! A little more care in reading posts would help you no end, and save you having to apologise ! frown, ............. stomp, stomp, stomp ................. slam !

Well I know you aint a fan of smilies !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Oscar Namechange »

G#Gill;1261739 wrote: Spot, I do wish you would not do that ! Nowhere have I laid the blame at the foot of children ! A little more care in reading posts would help you no end, and save you having to apologise ! frown, ............. stomp, stomp, stomp ................. slam !

Well I know you aint a fan of smilies ! Exactly what I said Gill... Infact the references that the teo of us seem to be aged spinsters which a hatred of children although disguised in Spot speak have been apparent all the way through.

I actually do far more un-paid work in this area to get the young facilities than most. Spot suffers from selective perusal as my dog suffers from selective hearing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15897
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1261470 wrote: You say that the decline has been talked about for years so from your writing, you are saying that It has declined and not risen over the years... there-fore, we must be at the Zenith of that decline right now. Do you have any links or stats to prove that moral decline has risen since pre 1970 ? Or Is it just yours and Spots say so?


The suggestion being that standard have not necessarily dropped continuously but the parents perception is always that standards have dropped because they are different to the standards under which the parents were brought up.

Different is not always worse but can easily appear so to the older generation.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1261766 wrote: The suggestion being that standard have not necessarily dropped continuously but the parents perception is always that standards have dropped because they are different to the standards under which the parents were brought up.

Different is not always worse but can easily appear so to the older generation. How ever you dress it up Bryn... standards have dropped. I read a report recently that said manners now have to be taught in correction facilities and do not come from the Parents. Some people may have such low standards that they find It acceptable to hear folk swearing in the street, spitting, yelling etc but I do not. If you look at rises in crime but look at the type of crime you will see that as examples, Criminal damage has reached record highs, I find no other explanation for that other than a total lack of respect for anothers property. If you look at the stats of nursing staff being abused in hospitals by patients, look at the rise in road-rage claims... You can blame over-population or different types of standards but the crime stats show how this country is going. I have even heard a senior Officer on TV say that one of the problems nowadays is that youths refused to be challenged for their behaviour believing this country owes them for nothing. We have developed a walk on by soiciety. A Typical example was when my husband caught the youths breaking into a neighbours garage very recently. Only becuase he Investigated the noise, one is to be charged. We learnt later that several neighbours had infact heard the noise, but not one went to have a look. That is typical of the society we live in. Gill is correct... It's a me, me , me society.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15897
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1261785 wrote: How ever you dress it up Bryn... standards have dropped. I read a report recently that said manners now have to be taught in correction facilities and do not come from the Parents. Some people may have such low standards that they find It acceptable to hear folk swearing in the street, spitting, yelling etc but I do not. If you look at rises in crime but look at the type of crime you will see that as examples, Criminal damage has reached record highs, I find no other explanation for that other than a total lack of respect for anothers property. If you look at the stats of nursing staff being abused in hospitals by patients, look at the rise in road-rage claims... You can blame over-population or different types of standards but the crime stats show how this country is going. I have even heard a senior Officer on TV say that one of the problems nowadays is that youths refused to be challenged for their behaviour believing this country owes them for nothing. We have developed a walk on by soiciety. A Typical example was when my husband caught the youths breaking into a neighbours garage very recently. Only becuase he Investigated the noise, one is to be charged. We learnt later that several neighbours had infact heard the noise, but not one went to have a look. That is typical of the society we live in. Gill is correct... It's a me, me , me society.


By who's measure, to me, standards have dropped dreadfully and the youth of today are barely literate - to them my English is horribly old fashioned and laughable.

Different times have different measures and it is difficult for a person who grew up in one period to judge the standards of another period objectively.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1261802 wrote: By who's measure, to me, standards have dropped dreadfully and the youth of today are barely literate - to them my English is horribly old fashioned and laughable.

Different times have different measures and it is difficult for a person who grew up in one period to judge the standards of another period objectively.


Are you not contradicting yourself there Bryn? On one hand you say ' that to you, standards have dropped dreadfully, but on the other hand you are saying It is difficult for one in one period to judge another.

I agree with you.... I must come Into contact with hundreds of teenagers a week In the shop and most can barely string a sentence together. Does that mean that we stoop to their level so that WE become more acceptable in their semi-Illiterate world? Ironically, When I make a stand for manners and social graces in the shop and ask 'What do you say'? before handing their food over, the kids know what they should be saying but many just Ignore to use It. Almost as though It's OK to be an Ignorant Uranus inj public. Then, there are the one's who truely don't know the difference and It's them that have my sympathy. The fact Is, weather we accept a decline in standards or not, the reality is, that the kid with the manners and the social graces will be chosen for a job over the one's who don't.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15897
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1261816 wrote: Are you not contradicting yourself there Bryn? On one hand you say ' that to you, standards have dropped dreadfully, but on the other hand you are saying It is difficult for one in one period to judge another.

I agree with you.... I must come Into contact with hundreds of teenagers a week In the shop and most can barely string a sentence together. Does that mean that we stoop to their level so that WE become more acceptable in their semi-Illiterate world? Ironically, When I make a stand for manners and social graces in the shop and ask 'What do you say'? before handing their food over, the kids know what they should be saying but many just Ignore to use It. Almost as though It's OK to be an Ignorant Uranus inj public. Then, there are the one's who truely don't know the difference and It's them that have my sympathy. The fact Is, weather we accept a decline in standards or not, the reality is, that the kid with the manners and the social graces will be chosen for a job over the one's who don't.


No - I'm giving an example of how easy it is to judge based only on the standards that were instilled into you as a child. Language moves on and my use of English would have been deemed poor by those educated fifty years before my time.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1261821 wrote: No - I'm giving an example of how easy it is to judge based only on the standards that were instilled into you as a child. Language moves on and my use of English would have been deemed poor by those educated fifty years before my time. I agree.... my English would have been considered poor by those who went before me. As a teenager, I was constantly corrected by my Parents and still remember being constantly told that 'Yah but' were not words.

I hate this 'Matey' Generalisation also.... being asked in a shop 'Alright Mate'? Instead of 'Can I help you?'

Yes, Bog Standard Britian Indeed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15897
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1261834 wrote: I agree.... my English would have been considered poor by those who went before me. As a teenager, I was constantly corrected by my Parents and still remember being constantly told that 'Yah but' were not words.

I hate this 'Matey' Generalisation also.... being asked in a shop 'Alright Mate'? Instead of 'Can I help you?'

Yes, Bog Standard Britian Indeed.


Then apply this to your judgement of other aspects of society.

You see it as deterioration - as parents down the ages have seen deterioration. What we need is the passage of time to provide objectivity.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by K.Snyder »

No one you'd meet is nicer than I.

In my every day spoken language I cuss quite alot. I also say words that don't technically exist. I also have trouble in remembering that children might hear me as well.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38651
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by spot »

oscar;1261730 wrote: I heard one Politician refer to our country very recently as 'Bog Standard Britain' which just about sums us up.I almost hesitate to ask but who was it? As far as I can see the phrase started as the title of an article in The Sun in 2006 and ended up as a book. Which politician used it?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1261853 wrote: I almost hesitate to ask but who was it? As far as I can see the phrase started as the title of an article in The Sun in 2006 and ended up as a book. Which politician used it?
It was some weeks ago but I will do my best to find It. I certainly did not get it from the Sun. It is against my religion to even mention It's name. OK found It... Beg your pardon, It was actually Quinten Letts.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Such a selfish, thoughtless society that we live in. 'I, me, my' all the time

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1261860 wrote: It was actually Quinten Letts.


"Quinten" and then let's what?

Return to “England”