See London Before You Die

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i am going to move near there GG...and in a word, i would say HISTORY! if you love history, London reeks of it. now i will go away and let the Brits tell you everything. they are 5 hours ahead, so should be here in the wee hours, i'll email Bothwell to reply to you!
persephone

Post by persephone »

lady cop wrote: London reeks of it.And something nasty as well :p
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

letha wrote: And something nasty as well :pwell i'm going to the cotswolds :) ....but you have to tell me what you mean!
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

GG I would say spring or Autumn, by the time summer comes it is overwhelmed with tourists. get yourself a London Transport Rover ticket and travel very cheaply on the buses (before they phase out the double deckers) and the tube system.

Favourite places of mine, Regents Park, The Wallace Collection in Manchester square (behind Selfridges on Oxford Street), The London Eye (you will need a head for heights), The Tower of London, and any of the museums.Be aware however visiting from the USA you will find that the UK in general and London in particular is very expensive.

In addition I plead with you if you are visiting get outside of London, The West country, The Yorkshire dales, Peak district etc, cities like Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester all have something to offer.

I am sure the Scots on the board will jump in anytime soon but if they don't try and get up there as well.

It would also be worth diverting to Buzzards domain in Dublin, a great city.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

I went to London for an Easter break. It was my first visit there and I absolutely loved it. We were lucky with the weather, it was beautifully sunny and the skies were clear. We had a long stroll around Hyde Park which was fab. People were having picnics and playing football, there are little boats on the lake you can hire.

We went round the Tower of London and in The London Dungeons which was really good. The tour itself took about 1 1/2 hrs in the Dungeons. We never got on the London Eye but it looked very impressive (and high!).

We jumped on the tube system which is fantastic and easy to use. Westminster was packed by the time we got there so we had a stroll to the outskirts and sat down for a beer!

We went round Camden Market and Covent Gardens and one evening we saw the musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the West end. Leicester Square was always buzzing with activity morning and night.

We found it a bit more expensive but not as much as we'd been expecting.

We're planning to go back in the summer for a long weekend and this time I hope to see some celebs!! :-6
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I can tell you where NOT to go in london .sarah janexx
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Raven

Post by Raven »

Westminster Abbey and ST. Pauls Cathedral. The architecture is breathtaking.

The museums are, IMO, THE best in the world! British Museum in particular. And to HEAR Big Ben with your own ears, live and in person gives you chills!

And a little church called ST. Olafs. It's between Fenchurch St. and Tower Hill. It's got the creepiest little gate I've ever seen! And noone can forget the Tower Bridge! GAWD! There is so much to see and do, it would take you a month to see it! Kennsington gardens has the statue of peter pan. :-6
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
lime-sterman

Post by lime-sterman »

I'm from Manchester, but I have to work in london quite a lot!......I'm spending a week there on the 18th of this month, working only!........driving around london is not recommended as it is a major headache! use the tube and the buses to get around! London to me is in a league of it's own than any other major city in the UK as I've worked in nearly if not all of them! LC is right the history there is unbelievable, it's soaked in history. you will have a job seeing the major tourist spots in a month, but still a month's good! in seeing the major tourist spot's you will also see other thing's of interest that will catch your eye, just make a note of them when your out and about and plan your next day to try and fit them in,......whenever I get back home from London my heads still buzzin from the pace of the place, my favourite part of London is all packed within the congestion charge zone! a controversial £5 a day charge for the privilege of driving around central London, soon to be extended to other borough's! London is a must see if your visiting from another country, and if your lucky enough you might see some celeb's to!
abbey

Post by abbey »

aemdiate wrote: I live 30 miles South of London and have all my life. I've been taken for days out as a kid, gone up dressed in black as a moody teenager, and recently started commuting everyday to a job in Euston.

London is a great sprawling mass - it is enormous, and as it doesn't have a grid system like so many other cities, it always has something new for the visitor. I work in a building on the site of Charles Dickens' house, I drink where James Joyce did, and the pews are the same ones people have sat on for centuries. Even after a long boring day at the office, I get the bus over Waterloo Bridge, and look at the sun on the Millenium Wheel, a great addition, glinting off the recently cleaned Palace of Westminster (BigBen) and I fell my stomach swell with a bit of pride. It is dirty, expensive and people are rude, don't try making small talk and walk quickly during commuter hours or you get short shrift.

But this is a city founded by the Romans, and although it is easy to see litter and 1960s ugly architecture this city has a pulse, and a buzz you can feel. In the 28 years I have lived next door, I am just starting to get a feel for the geography of the town, I can now walk across the city with a sure plan of where I am going. My advice - try the tube once then ditch it. Don't be scared of buses - ask the drivers to shout your stop and you'll know where to get off,the only way to really get a feel for this city. Mail me if you do come, and I'll let you into a few secrets, plus what you should really be paying for a cup of coffee!
What an excellent description you gave Aemdiate, you sound very proud.

Welcome to the forum, its good to see you here x.

Return to “England”