Should I stay at Leeds uni?

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

miss willis wrote: I am currently in my first year at Leeds University after taking a couple of years out. Unfortunately after being at Leeds for the first term I really am not sure its the place for me as the course is not what i expected with the emphasis on art history rather than practical work(i am studying fine art).

I assume you studied the syllabus before going. IIWY I'd speak to someone at the University about what's happening, your expectations, and how things will progress. If I've got it right, see:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/fine_art/info/ugcs/bafa.html

for a list of lecturers. What other university support is available?
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

you can't stay where you are not happy, you will regret it. I had my doubts about my course but I stuck it out and it got better but you can't guarantee that it will happen to you. The main thing is not to stress too much about it :) I know like dropping out seems a rash thing to do but it really isn't, if you are not happy then it is the right decision. hope I help a little bit, have you spoken to your parents about how you're feelin?
koan

Post by koan »

They are probably focusing on art history and theory to give a good base knowledge to the students and round out their exposure to great artists of the past. Understanding of space, movement etc. is very important. If you talk to the counsellors about the structure of the program it might be that you just have to make it through this part and then it will get more practical. What does the course overview tell you about the program. Also, do you not get electives to round out the theory vs practical application courses you are taking? Maybe you need to choose your electives more carefully.

Return to “England”