English Only Please

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
abbey

English Only Please

Post by abbey »

capt_buzzard wrote: Can I have your eyes for one moment. ENGLISH ONLY PLEASE, was added here because we did not have England only sub forums as we do today. Here ended the lesson.
Aw c'mon Cap everyones welcome into our own English garden :yh_flower
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

abbey wrote: Aw c'mon Cap everyones welcome into our own English garden :yh_flowerWhy of course they are. :yh_party
Raven

English Only Please

Post by Raven »

capt_buzzard wrote: Can I have your eyes for one moment. ENGLISH ONLY PLEASE, was added here because we did not have England only sub forums as we do today. Here ended the lesson.

EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me! americans were BRITISH, BEFORE they became american.

And my ancestry traces back to 4 brothers who shipped out for the colonies, and their name was HIGGS. (my MOTHERS maiden name.) :yh_tong2

And MY maiden name was HAYES. Traced to the great clan HAY. so there.

see attached GRAND UNION flag. pre-revolutionary flag of the american colonies.

Attached files
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Raven wrote: EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me! americans were BRITISH, BEFORE they became american.

And my ancestry traces back to 4 brothers who shipped out for the colonies, and their name was HIGGS. (my MOTHERS maiden name.) :yh_tong2

And MY maiden name was HAYES. Traced to the great clan HAY. so there.

see attached GRAND UNION flag. pre-revolutionary flag of the american colonies.Also Higgins, and Hayes, also Hoy as in British & Irish family names.
Raven

English Only Please

Post by Raven »

capt_buzzard wrote: Also Higgins, and Hayes, also Hoy as in British & Irish family names.
I love digging up stuff in regards to family trees. I'm positive I'll dig up a few highwaymen and rogues, not to mention indentures and newgate inmates! LOL!!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
chicagolosina

English Only Please

Post by chicagolosina »

I've never heard of the song you mentioned, but let me ask you this;

My kids sing "God save the Queen" after thier assembley Friday mornings..... when Prince Charles becomes King, will they just change the words, or will there be a new song? lol
gmc

English Only Please

Post by gmc »

posted by chicagolosina

I've never heard of the song you mentioned, but let me ask you this;

My kids sing "God save the Queen" after thier assembley Friday mornings..... when Prince Charles becomes King, will they just change the words, or will there be a new song? lol

they change queen to king assuming he gets to be king or indeed if we keep the monarchy.
chicagolosina

English Only Please

Post by chicagolosina »

Hmmm. I wonder if our currency will change? Any thoughts?
Me Mo

English Only Please

Post by Me Mo »

My husband and myself have thought about leaving the Uk for the fact of we work for a living and its very hard to see others who don't work get everything. they are on social so the live: rent free, Council tax free, prescriptions free, Leisure centres Free, Discounts on Gym memberships free, and some go on holiday board twice a year one being winter also while they are away if we get so many days cold they will get cold winter payments which means money forwards there heating bills

Now don't get me wrong there are people out there who do need help but there are also a lot out there who are screwing the system. :mad:

Unless something is done it may be the uk's workforce will leave the country

What do others think?
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man: Mark Twain
gmc

English Only Please

Post by gmc »

posted by me mo

My husband and myself have thought about leaving the Uk for the fact of we work for a living and its very hard to see others who don't work get everything. they are on social so the live: rent free, Council tax free, prescriptions free, Leisure centres Free, Discounts on Gym memberships free, and some go on holiday board twice a year one being winter also while they are away if we get so many days cold they will get cold winter payments which means money forwards there heating bills

Now don't get me wrong there are people out there who do need help but there are also a lot out there who are screwing the system.

Unless something is done it may be the uk's workforce will leave the country

What do others think?

Yes people take advantage, what you will find though is that those most hostile to scroungers are the ordinary people living next to them. Personally I prefer a country where if you are ill you can depend on receiving treatment-the NHS is not perfect but there is no not being treated because you are too poor. Who paid for your education and medical care when you needed it? Assuming you were born here. Safe bet it wasn't you (sounds rude but I don't mean it that way) In my experience those who complain about the NHS and want private medicine are also the first to feel hard done by when they find they can't be treated on their private policy and have to depend on the NHS to sort out the mess private treatment has made of them. They don't complain then.

Or if they go bankrupt they are not slow to claim all the benefits they were so keen to criticise before. Council hoses are better than the street when you've just lost their home.I've been at both ends of the spectrum, being poor is no fun at least I get free education and medical care and am now paying back good style. Then again it's there if I need it.

Most people with a mortgage in this country are within three months of not being able to pay the monthly payment if they become ill or lose their jobs. Unemployment is not the problem it was so how about an illness that stops you working how long before you are laid off or your business fails because you are not there to work at it. There is no state help for that. Is your income protected or are you on state benefits after three months and on your way to losing your home. Will your private health policy cover you for long term cancer treatment or leave you to the tender mercies of the NHS.
Me Mo

English Only Please

Post by Me Mo »

Thanks for answering gmc

I was born here and yes I do use NHS I pay for what i am supposed too

I too have had bad times. I hope this is just a chat :) ... What about the ones that just stay on the system and tell their own to do it as well ?
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man: Mark Twain
gmc

English Only Please

Post by gmc »

posted by me mo

Thanks for answering gmc

I was born here and yes I do use NHS I pay for what i am supposed too

I too have had bad times. I hope this is just a chat ... What about the ones that just stay on the system and tell their own to do it as well ?

I didn't mean to give offence it is just a chat

I have absolutely no time for scoungers at all..

I was unemployed in the seventies for the better part of two years-not from choice there were simply no jobs. I found later working in London that people there had no concept of what unemployment really meant. Down there if you were unemployed it was from choice rather than because you couldn't get a job. We could not get staff despite being in a london borough with high unemployment supposedly.

On one occasion the area manager of the company i worked for was not going to take on a fellow scot-he had been unemployed for almost a year and was in London living in B & B till his money ran out or he got a job. The area manager just could not understand that there were simply no jobs to be had where this guy had come from. Having come down to get a job he wasn't going to give him one because he had been unemployed for so long and must not have been trying that was the way he thought of this guy. It was one of the few occasions where I really lost my temper with someone who was otherwise quite intelligent
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Hey gmc,

When an Irishman/woman loses their temper its bad. But when a Scot loses their temper run and don't stop running.
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

English Only Please:p
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

GMC - I'm very surprised! I've always thought of you as someone who is in possession of all their facts. But you asked someone to write out 100 times that Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

But it doesn't!

Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland and Wales.

When you add Northern Ireland to the mix it becomes the U.K.

Northern Ireland has never been a part of Great Britain.
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

P.S. Please write out 100 times

Northern Ireland is NOT a part of Great Britain.

Oh and Prince Albert - your patriotism would be more convincing if you were to spell correctly.

gmc

English Only Please

Post by gmc »

posted by philahelphia eagle

GMC - I'm very surprised! I've always thought of you as someone who is in possession of all their facts. But you asked someone to write out 100 times that Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

But it doesn't!

Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland and Wales.

When you add Northern Ireland to the mix it becomes the U.K.

Northern Ireland has never been a part of Great Britain.

O.K. technically you are correct and it hurts to concede the point-but there are a few northern irishman that would take umbrage at being told they are not British, If you ask someone from the UK their nationality they will say welsh, english, scottish the ones that say British first tend to be ulster protestants-at least in my experience.
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Prince_Albert wrote: Rule Brittania, Brittania rules the waves;...................I'll be singing our countries songs till the day i die. There'll always be an England;...........................That's allowed your RH. Keep on singing
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: posted by philahelphia eagle

O.K. technically you are correct and it hurts to concede the point-but there are a few northern irishman that would take umbrage at being told they are not British, If you ask someone from the UK their nationality they will say welsh, english, scottish the ones that say British first tend to be ulster protestants-at least in my experience.Believe it or Not, there are some Southern Irish who well consider themselves British.
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

gmc wrote: posted by philahelphia eagle

O.K. technically you are correct and it hurts to concede the point-but there are a few northern irishman that would take umbrage at being told they are not British, If you ask someone from the UK their nationality they will say welsh, english, scottish the ones that say British first tend to be ulster protestants-at least in my experience.

Thank-you GMC for your concession. Not only ' technically' correct but actually and physically correct as well!

I wouldn't dream of telling someone from Northern Ireland that they were not British - of course they are! You don't have to have been born in Britain to be British. People from Northern Ireland, although not born in Britain, are accorded British nationality by virtue of the fact that they are born in UK.

Many other peoples around the world are also accorded British nationality - mainly those born in one or other of Britain's overseas dependencies. Generally they, however, do not have 'right of abode' in the UK.

I enjoy reading reference books etc. on commonly held (but mistaken) beliefs.

What about this one?

It is a fact that the most northerly point on the island of Ireland is, in fact, in Southern Ireland and not Northern Ireland. The same point is also in Ulster but not,of course, in Northern Ireland! I'm sure you know the reason for that apparent anomoly.

I did try pointing it out to someone else(from England) on this forum some tome ago but he got lost at 1st. base!

gmc

English Only Please

Post by gmc »

posted by philadelphia eagle

It is a fact that the most northerly point on the island of Ireland is, in fact, in Southern Ireland and not Northern Ireland. The same point is also in Ulster but not,of course, in Northern Ireland! I'm sure you know the reason for that apparent anomoly.

I did try pointing it out to someone else(from England) on this forum some tome ago but he got lost at 1st. base!

You'd be dead wrong there, geography was never one of my strong points.

I wouldn't dream of telling someone from Northern Ireland that they were not British - of course they are! You don't have to have been born in Britain to be British. People from Northern Ireland, although not born in Britain, are accorded British nationality by virtue of the fact that they are born in UK.

As a Scot it tends to niggle when people use england and britain interchangably in the same sentence, same with the flag the British flag is not the english one.
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: posted by philadelphia eagle

You'd be dead wrong there, geography was never one of my strong points.

As a Scot it tends to niggle when people use england and britain interchangably in the same sentence, same with the flag the British flag is not the english one.Give us a bar of 'The Rose of Scotland' gmc.
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

Now GMC- I'm sure you must be hiding your light under a bushel!

The reason for the apparent anomoly is that, contrary to popular belief, Ulster and Northern Ireland are not the same thing.

Northern Ireland comprises 6 counties whereas the Provence of Ulster is made up of 9 counties - the 6 in Northern Ireland plus a further 3 which lie within the Republic of Ireland. Those additional 3 are the counties of Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan.

My ancestors on my father's side came from Donegal.

Try telling a Donegal man that he's not an Ulsterman!

To be fair -your own BBC media makes this mistake (or dis-information) constantly so it's not surprising that many people confuse the two.

Many foreigners (present company excepted, of course,) confuse geographical locations in this country too.

Common mistakes include confusing Washington DC with Washington State (they're 3,000 miles apart!), referring to New York City when they mean New York State and vice-versa, thinking that Miami is the state capital of Florida (it's Tallahassee) or that Kansas City is in the State of Kansas (it's in Missouri). and so on.

Geography has always been an interesting subject to me and I had the good fortune of traveling to (and living in) many different countries during my working life. I always enjoy debating geographical issues and apologise if I'm boring you with all this!

capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: Now GMC- I'm sure you must be hiding your light under a bushel!

The reason for the apparent anomoly is that, contrary to popular belief, Ulster and Northern Ireland are not the same thing.

Northern Ireland comprises 6 counties whereas the Provence of Ulster is made up of 9 counties - the 6 in Northern Ireland plus a further 3 which lie within the Republic of Ireland. Those additional 3 are the counties of Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan.

My ancestors on my father's side came from Donegal.

Try telling a Donegal man that he's not an Ulsterman!

To be fair -your own BBC media makes this mistake (or dis-information) constantly so it's not surprising that many people confuse the two.

Many foreigners (present company excepted, of course,) confuse geographical locations in this country too.

Common mistakes include confusing Washington DC with Washington State (they're 3,000 miles apart!), referring to New York City when they mean New York State and vice-versa, thinking that Miami is the state capital of Florida (it's Tallahassee) or that Kansas City is in the State of Kansas (it's in Missouri). and so on.

Geography has always been an interesting subject to me and I had the good fortune of traveling to (and living in) many different countries during my working life. I always enjoy debating geographical issues and apologise if I'm boring you with all this!You are correct. There are 9 counties in Ulster.
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

Thanks - Buzz As I mentioned before I had a similar discussion with an Englishman but he got lost and retreated most ungraciously by saying that, as a foreigner, my ignorance could be excused!

Oh dear! Talk about the shoe being on the other foot!

My father's side of the family were from Donegal as I said and my mother's ancestors were from Scotland.

How about that as a lethal combination!

Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

Can't help being amused by the fact that a thread entitled 'English Only Please' is now populated exclusively by an Irishman, a Scot, and an American!

capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Ann wrote: I am intrigued about the above comment, I havn't met any People from the Republic of Ireland who consider themselves British, unless that are British and are on Holidays. :guitaristWell my dear Ann, I know many folk who never accepted the 'Irish Free State or Eire to you. They hold British passports, also any citizens born here before 1948 can if they so wish have a British passport. And can vote in the UK elections.

Further inFo www.britishembassy.ie/
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: Thanks - Buzz As I mentioned before I had a similar discussion with an Englishman but he got lost and retreated most ungraciously by saying that, as a foreigner, my ignorance could be excused!

Oh dear! Talk about the shoe being on the other foot!

My father's side of the family were from Donegal as I said and my mother's ancestors were from Scotland.

How about that as a lethal combination!Were you ever in Donegal? Might be a homestead someplace:D or a crock of gold
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

capt_buzzard wrote: Were you ever in Donegal? Might be a homestead someplace:D or a crock of gold

Killybegs was the place. Yes I have visited Donegal and had a wonderful time there.

I was also in Dublin many years ago and have great memories of there as well.

I was taken out 'on the town' one evening by Irish friends and visited more pubs than I can remember!

The next day I flew home to America and it took the entire flight for the recovery process to kick in!

gmc

English Only Please

Post by gmc »

posted by cap'n buzzard

Give us a bar of 'The Rose of Scotland' gmc

Would if i knew what you were talking about-you don't mean the flower of Scotland do you?

Now GMC- I'm sure you must be hiding your light under a bushel!

Trust me I'm not. Bits of history I know a geat deal about but there are whopping big gaps of which I am well aware, I think the more you study the more you realise you need to study and the less ready you are to claim to know everything, geography was never an enthusiasm-as to you being a foreigner I find most canadian or american tourists range from incredibly knowledgeable about some aspects-especially those tracing their roots to completely ignorant to the extent they can't get over the fact we have cars and street lights and are expecting brigaddon in one of the most heavily industrialised countries in europe.

The funniest are the ones bamboozled by the accents-it's a running joke that you have to speak really slowly to give them time to carch up.

Posted by Philadelphia Eagle

Thanks - Buzz As I mentioned before I had a similar discussion with an Englishman but he got lost and retreated most ungraciously by saying that, as a foreigner, my ignorance could be excused!

No comment :sneaky:

I thought tallahassee was in kentucky
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: posted by cap'n buzzard

Would if i knew what you were talking about-you don't mean the flower of Scotland do you?

Trust me I'm not. Bits of history I know a geat deal about but there are whopping big gaps of which I am well aware, I think the more you study the more you realise you need to study and the less ready you are to claim to know everything, geography was never an enthusiasm-as to you being a foreigner I find most canadian or american tourists range from incredibly knowledgeable about some aspects-especially those tracing their roots to completely ignorant to the extent they can't get over the fact we have cars and street lights and are expecting brigaddon in one of the most heavily industrialised countries in europe.

The funniest are the ones bamboozled by the accents-it's a running joke that you have to speak really slowly to give them time to carch up.

I thought tallahassee was in kentuckySorry Rose of Scotland is the Celtic version.:D . Flower of Scotland is to be true, much better
Philadelphia Eagle

English Only Please

[QUOTE=gmc]posted by cap'n buzzard

I thought tallahassee was in kentucky[/QUOTE

Well - there may well be a Tallahassee in KY although it's unlikely. Tallahassee is an Native American name and FL was populated by different tribes than KY.

That's why we tend to follow a city name with the name of the State in which it lies e.g.Cape May, New Jersey or Charlotte, North Carolina etc.

There are so many places with the same name that not to include the State would lead to confusion.

capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: [QUOTE=gmc]posted by cap'n buzzard

I thought tallahassee was in kentucky[/QUOTE

Well - there may well be a Tallahassee in KY although it's unlikely. Tallahassee is an Native American name and FL was populated by different tribes than KY.

That's why we tend to follow a city name with the name of the State in which it lies e.g.Cape May, New Jersey or Charlotte, North Carolina etc.

There are so many places with the same name that not to include the State would lead to confusion.The Donegal accent is mild compared to Cork or Kerry accents. And Irish Roots.Com is a good place to start
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

Here is one for your collection. Ulster Nation. www.ulsternation.org.uk:D
Lon

English Only Please

Post by Lon »

Hollywood18 wrote: So, are you saying that you would rather no one who's not actually from Great Britain come in here? Are you offended by others' interest in the UK? That's kind of rude, don't you think? Sorry I was born in America, so am not worthy to take interest in Great Britain. :mad: You take offense too readily my young friend. The Captain merely wanted feedback from U.K.members.
capt_buzzard

English Only Please

Post by capt_buzzard »

That's it Lon :-6
Bez

English Only Please

Post by Bez »

Hi I'm new here and keep replying to old threads because they are so interesting....bet no-one reads my replies.....but hey....I'm having Fun....any way my points are as follows

I was born in southern England......I think of myself as a citizen of the United Kingdom.

I am very patriotic....' Jerusalem' & 'land of hope & Glory' my favourite patriotic songs.

My concerns for the countries future......being too much of a 'Nanny state'

Scroungers bleeding the country dry so that I will get a meagre pension despite working every day of my life since I as 16.

Lack of respect fo people and property by far too many people

Too much greedy litigation

Won't bore you with any more but you get my drift.

The UK is a beautiful and wonderful place and it's people on the whole are warm amd friendly.

P.S. I'm really not a grumpy old beggar, just inspired by you messages to have my say.

warm wishes

Bez :-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
minks

English Only Please

Post by minks »

Bez wrote: Hi I'm new here and keep replying to old threads because they are so interesting....bet no-one reads my replies.....but hey....I'm having Fun....any way my points are as follows

I was born in southern England......I think of myself as a citizen of the United Kingdom.

I am very patriotic....' Jerusalem' & 'land of hope & Glory' my favourite patriotic songs.

My concerns for the countries future......being too much of a 'Nanny state'

Scroungers bleeding the country dry so that I will get a meagre pension despite working every day of my life since I as 16.

Lack of respect fo people and property by far too many people

Too much greedy litigation

Won't bore you with any more but you get my drift.

The UK is a beautiful and wonderful place and it's people on the whole are warm amd friendly.

P.S. I'm really not a grumpy old beggar, just inspired by you messages to have my say.

warm wishes

Greetings Bez: Glad you introduced yourself, sorry to have missed the rest of yer posts but will pay closer attention from here on in.

Cheers from Canada
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
abbey

English Only Please

Post by abbey »

Warm Wishes to you too Bez :-6

I love to go onto the Yorkshire Moors & belt out Jerusalum.
Betty Boop

English Only Please

Post by Betty Boop »

Hi Bez,:-6

I totally agree with all you say in this post, and I'm sure your not a grumpy old beggar!! :wah:
Bez

English Only Please

Post by Bez »

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hi Betty

Well I wasn't a grumpy old beggar once I got all that stuff off my chest and even a day at work counselling, commiserating, cajoling, craving (I'm trying to give up smoking) etc etc hasn't dampened my spirits.

Tomorrow we'll all be saying TGIF and looking forward to the weekend. Weather forecast not too bad so I'm going to think of something typically English to do on Saturday......might have a seaside day in Brighton....only 15 minutes on the train for me.....won't take the car because parking is a nightmare and very expensive.

I think it may be Gay Pride weekend so could be entertaining with all the floats.

I had a short break in Cornwall a couple of years ago. It's a magical place but i was pleased I've only got a small car ....all those dinky roads. I'd like to visit again on one day.

Warm wishes.....Bez :driving:
Betty Boop

English Only Please

Post by Betty Boop »

Bez wrote: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hi Betty

Well I wasn't a grumpy old beggar once I got all that stuff off my chest and even a day at work counselling, commiserating, cajoling, craving (I'm trying to give up smoking) etc etc hasn't dampened my spirits.

Tomorrow we'll all be saying TGIF and looking forward to the weekend. Weather forecast not too bad so I'm going to think of something typically English to do on Saturday......might have a seaside day in Brighton....only 15 minutes on the train for me.....won't take the car because parking is a nightmare and very expensive.

I think it may be Gay Pride weekend so could be entertaining with all the floats.

I had a short break in Cornwall a couple of years ago. It's a magical place but i was pleased I've only got a small car ....all those dinky roads. I'd like to visit again on one day.

Warm wishes.....Bez :driving:

:yh_rotfl All those dinky roads!!! I used to drive a landrover discovery round those!!! You get used to it and you learn to reverse pretty quickly!! The times I've had to jump out my car and reverse somebody elses car for them for us to pass!!!:wah:

Where abouts in Cornwall did you get too??

Good luck with the non-smoking!
Bez

English Only Please

Post by Bez »

I stayed at a really nice B&B near the Lost Gardens of Heligan....Lower Barn - Mevagissey, so I obvioulsy went there (the lost gardens). I'd watched a programme on the TV about how the project started and wanted to go ther for so long.b Also went to Eden project, Lanhydrock, Charleston etc. I was only there for 4 days and packed in as much sight seeing as possible .

I am a member of the RHS and love visiting gardens....we have loads down here in Sussex and I also like going to national Trust places....in fact I'm just about interested in anything.

What do you do in your spare time ???

Betty Boop

English Only Please

Post by Betty Boop »

Bez wrote: I stayed at a really nice B&B near the Lost Gardens of Heligan....Lower Barn - Mevagissey, so I obvioulsy went there (the lost gardens). I'd watched a programme on the TV about how the project started and wanted to go ther for so long.b Also went to Eden project, Lanhydrock, Charleston etc. I was only there for 4 days and packed in as much sight seeing as possible .

I am a member of the RHS and love visiting gardens....we have loads down here in Sussex and I also like going to national Trust places....in fact I'm just about interested in anything.

What do you do in your spare time ???

You were quite a way from me then, a good hours drive or more. I'm near Lands End and St. Michaels Mount, we have some good gardens here too, one being on the mount, Trewidden and Trengwainton are very close.

You beat me to the Eden Project, haven't made it there yet, maybe we'll try it out of season later this year.

Spare Time?

I don't get any!!! I've got two children, a boy of eight and a girl of three and a single Mum to boot!!
spot

English Only Please

Post by spot »

gmc wrote: Write out a hundred times Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland-used to be Southern Ireland as well but they escaped.And nobody picked up on this? gmc, you know better - go on, analyse the title of the State for us - "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

When it comes to predicting the political shape in a few decades, I think we need to say first what constitutes a State at the moment. Once it was dead easy - it set its own laws, it was a State. Then we got involved in Treaty obligations that affected sovereignty - the International Court, GATT/WTO, The EU. At the moment, we remain a State to the extent that we retain control of Foreign Affairs and Taxation. I can’t think of any other aspect of UK governance that hasn’t been diluted, but those two are still decided in Westminster.

If either of them are devolved or diluted then the UK loses sovereignty beyond the point where “State” retains its current meaning. Westminster government would merely become another level in a chain that starts with the parish council and ends with the persons who declare war and hold the purse-strings. I suspect that taxation will be the one that falls first.

Does it bother me that Statehood will become more a European concept and less a UK one? Not in the slightest. The more groups there are who can shift armies around the globe, the less stable the globe is. The sooner we reach a point where there’s only one person in command of the armies, the safer we’ll all be. Assuming, of course, that this current stack of war criminals in the US have long since served their time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Yavanna

English Only Please

Post by Yavanna »

Actually, we already have lost parliamentary sovereignty , as a result of a series of legal cases arising from the Treaty of Rome (1957 I think) and the Human Rights Act 1998, both of which state that where UK laws conflict or are incompatible with Euro law, Euro law applies.

To the extent that our laws fit in with European directives, we still have sovereignty ; for anything else, we defer to those directives.

Return to “England”