west Lothian question

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
gmc

west Lothian question

Post by gmc »

Should scots MP's be able to vote for measures that affect only England

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4796068.stm

Must admit I think this should be discussed more. Especially when the govt needs scots labour MP's to vote through changes that don't affect scotland and if they tried would have people up in arms. Trust hospitals and trust schools are two issues that would cost labour votes in scotland which is why we ain't getting them.

It's not just tory support that got the education bill through

For years we used to complain about being controlled from westminster and having plicies inflicted on us first-dare I say poll tax which was the last straw that killed the tory camel.

But then it's not quite that simple.

http://www.thesharpener.net/2005/06/07/ ... t-lothian/

I think both parties avoid the issue because it would raise proportional representation as an issue and neither labour or tory want that to happen cos neither would get in wilth a big enough majority to form a government.
spot

west Lothian question

Post by spot »

I feel - call me reactionary - that any change would be made with a view to gaining advantage rather than with an intent to improve matters. The same was true of the half-completed reform of the Lords. The system works best if it's not tinkered with.

What you can't do is withdraw Scots Westminster MP's voting rights on certain issues but allow them to debate and vote in others. The idea of second-rate MPs like that is anathema. If there's to be a break in representation then make two countries and be hanged for it. If we do actually proceed with that degree of reform, I want reciprocal changes like reducing the voting age to eleven. The whole question of government would need redesigning from scratch, not just Scots representation in the House. Turn it into the English Parliament instead of the British Parliament if you will. It would be an interesting exercise, and I expect Brussels would come out of it in a stronger position.

ps. "MP's" because it's Members (plural) of Parliament (singular). I had to think about that one.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

west Lothian question

Post by gmc »

posted by spot

What you can't do is withdraw Scots Westminster MP's voting rights on certain issues but allow them to debate and vote in others. The idea of second-rate MPs like that is anathema. If there's to be a break in representation then make two countries and be hanged for it. If we do actually proceed with that degree of reform, I want reciprocal changes like reducing the voting age to eleven. The whole question of government would need redesigning from scratch, not just Scots representation in the House. Turn it into the English Parliament instead of the British Parliament if you will. It would be an interesting exercise, and I expect Brussels would come out of it in a stronger position.

On some issues perhaps they should. We have a seperate education system from England and it is wrong that scots MP's votes are getting through legislation that the majority of english MP's oppose. Especially when it is a reform that would antagonise most of the scottish electorate if they tried it here.

Return to “England”