Proper English tea

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
Bridget

Proper English tea

Post by Bridget »

This is to the very nice people from England and Scotland who are still around. Last fall I asked for imformation on how to hold a proper English tea. I also wanted to know the difference between a afternoon tea and a high tea, what to serve etc. I received so many answers from you all and I read them all. Last Friday I finally had the tea which was given for a club I belong to. Thanks to you all it was a roaring success. We had darjeeling tea, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam, tarts, pirouettes, cream cheese and walnut sandwiches, cut in the proper shape, salted nuts and mints. Served on my cut glass ware. Each lady brought her favorite teacup and saucer. Some were inheireted from their Grandmothers. They told about their teacups at roll call. Some of the ladies dressed very approprially for tea, white gloves and hats. We had so much fun. A member has a daughter-in-law that was raised in England and so she told about her teas and she serves English food in her home as though she were still in England. She told a lot about her d-i-l. She said she had a English wedding reception even tho they were married in the U.S. When I read your letters as part of the program which I might add they all truly enjoyed, when I mention "hobnobs" we found out they are to die for. I have had people that weren't at the tea but have heard about it from those who did attend, rave about it. What a really good feeling. Thank all of you so very much. Love Bridget
spot

Proper English tea

Post by spot »

That's wonderful, Bridget, I'd been wondering how it would go. You did a great job setting it up and making it happen.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
abbey

Proper English tea

Post by abbey »

Well done Bridget, i'm pleased it went well for you x. :-6
valerie

Proper English tea

Post by valerie »

That sounds absolutely wonderful... especially about each bringing a favorite

teacup and saucer!! I love it!!

Don't suppose you captured any piccies?

:yh_clap
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Proper English tea

Post by lady cop »

sounds so lovely!!
Bez

Proper English tea

Post by Bez »

So glad it went so well....hope you pop in more often...:)
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Rapunzel

Proper English tea

Post by Rapunzel »

I was wondering how it went also! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!

buttercup

Proper English tea

Post by buttercup »

im so glad it went well :D

maybe next theme day can be scottish?

oh yummy - haggis neeps n tatties
redman

Proper English tea

Post by redman »

Bridget wrote: This is to the very nice people from England and Scotland who are still around. Last fall I asked for imformation on how to hold a proper English tea. I also wanted to know the difference between a afternoon tea and a high tea, what to serve etc. I received so many answers from you all and I read them all. Last Friday I finally had the tea which was given for a club I belong to. Thanks to you all it was a roaring success. We had darjeeling tea, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam, tarts, pirouettes, cream cheese and walnut sandwiches, cut in the proper shape, salted nuts and mints. Served on my cut glass ware. Each lady brought her favorite teacup and saucer. Some were inheireted from their Grandmothers. They told about their teacups at roll call. Some of the ladies dressed very approprially for tea, white gloves and hats. We had so much fun. A member has a daughter-in-law that was raised in England and so she told about her teas and she serves English food in her home as though she were still in England. She told a lot about her d-i-l. She said she had a English wedding reception even tho they were married in the U.S. When I read your letters as part of the program which I might add they all truly enjoyed, when I mention "hobnobs" we found out they are to die for. I have had people that weren't at the tea but have heard about it from those who did attend, rave about it. What a really good feeling. Thank all of you so very much. Love Bridget

If you are ever in London go for "Tea at the Ritz",then you can say you have had an English tea.
Niamh

Proper English tea

Post by Niamh »

oh yummy - haggis neeps n tatties

hi buttercup ! :)

what's neeps ? vegetable, I suppose, but which one ? :-5
bigears

Proper English tea

Post by bigears »

Niamh wrote: oh yummy - haggis neeps n tatties

hi buttercup ! :)

what's neeps ? vegetable, I suppose, but which one ? :-5