Bird flu hits the UK

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
chrisb84uk

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well it looks like the inevitable has finally happened and been confirmed. I just fear all the chaos that could now emerge over the coming weeks as a result of this from some people.

Swan tests confirm deadly virus

A swan found dead in Scotland has tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu.

The bird, tested at the EU's bird flu laboratory in Surrey, is the UK's first case of H5N1 in a wild bird.

A 1.8-mile (3km) protection zone to prevent poultry being moved is in place around Cellardyke in Fife, where the bird was found eight days ago.

The H5N1 virus does not currently pose a large-scale threat to humans as it cannot pass easily between people.

But experts fear the virus could mutate to gain this ability, and in its new form trigger a flu pandemic, potentially putting millions of human lives at risk.

A wider six-mile (10km) surveillance zone has been set up around Cellardyke. The infected bird, thought to be a mute swan, a native UK breed, was collected from Cellardyke harbour on 30 March - a day after it was reported by a resident. The RSPB's species and habitat policy officer, Paul Walton, said he had heard from "government scientists that it is confirmed H5N1, which is the same type as has been spreading westwards across Europe in recent months."

lady cop

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by lady cop »

it was inevitable Chris. just don't kiss any :yh_chickn :yh_chickn :yh_chickn .
chrisb84uk

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by chrisb84uk »

lady cop wrote: it was inevitable Chris. just don't kiss any :yh_chickn :yh_chickn :yh_chickn .

Hahaha don't worry LC I have no intention of doing that, even if there was no flu. I mean who kisses chickens anyway?? :D
lady cop

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by lady cop »

this may interest you..................Q&A: Bird flu in the UK
chrisb84uk

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by chrisb84uk »

Thanks for the link LC. I really hope people, especially farmers, pay attention to some of these facts, and don't just ignore them thinking that this is nothing to worry about. That is what will end up making things worse.
Sheryl

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by Sheryl »

I read last night that once the bird flu is in your area, you should keep your cats indoors. So Chris, if you have a cat, please keep him indoors. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
tedhutchinson

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by tedhutchinson »

It's inevitable that eventually it will mutate and spread in the human herd. Herd immunity is always at it's lowest in the winter so nothing serious will happen until next winter or the following one.

This isn't a cause for concern for those people intelligent enough to realise that the difference between the whole population in the summer and the whole population in the winter is Vitamin D status. You synthesise this from direct exposure of your unprotected skin to sunshine.

To protect yourself against flu in the winter your best bet is to spend some time outdoors (preferably midday) everyday from now on. People who regularly expose their skin have fewer more treatable skin cancers than those who occasionally get SUNBURNT. 20minutes is long enough if your skin is white 2hrs for brown skins and 3hrs for black skins. The greater your bank balances of vitamin d in the summer the fewer bank charges you will suffer when you get overdrawn in the winter. Supplementing with 2000iu Cholecalciferol, vitamin d3 from September to March would ensure you didn't get overdrawn at all in the winter and thus make yourself vulnerable to infection.

Vitamin d makes you more resistant to infection in the first place but more importantly it also controls your autoimmune response. When your body detects infection it responds to that infection with inflammation to alert the immune system to produce killer cells to stop the infection. If there is insufficient vitamin d circulating, the body hasn't the ability to stop killer cells attacking the body as well as the infection. Switching off the killer cells is as important as sending them into battle against the infection. Not only does vitamin d exert the control over cells to stop them replicating when their job is done (this is why those with high vit d levels have half the cancer risk of those with low levels see latest example here Women who have a high serum concentration of vitamin D (serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D)] have a reduced risk of breast cancer,

but also cells in the presence of vitamin d absorb more omega 3 than cells just in a test tube with just omega 3. Omega 3 is an anti-inflammatory so it follows that if you have high vitamin d levels you will also make best use of the omega 3 in your diet (FSA suggest 4 portions of oily fish a week Nettos sardines in tomato sauce 18p so (1 sardine) 6p a day will provide ample omega 3). If your body is fully charged with omega 3 then when infection occurs there will be plenty of anti-inflammatory agent to reduce inflammation. The less inflammation the less need for killer cells to control it. The fewer killer cells created the easier it is for the control system to switch them off when the infection is dealt with.
chrisb84uk

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by chrisb84uk »

Sheryl wrote: I read last night that once the bird flu is in your area, you should keep your cats indoors. So Chris, if you have a cat, please keep him indoors. :D

Thanks for the advice Sheryl, but have no fear we have no pets in our house, well not including my brothers anyway. :p
Bez

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by Bez »

From what I understand, the people who have died from the human form of bird flu, are those that have domestic chicken in their homes and gardens...they will have had to pick up the birds.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
cars

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by cars »

chrisb84uk wrote: Hahaha don't worry LC I have no intention of doing that, even if there was no flu. I mean who kisses chickens anyway?? :D

Hey chris, glad you don't kiss chickens! But do you eat "fried or broiled chicken", or eat chicken soup? :rolleyes: :-2
Cars :)
SecretAdmirerofChris

Bird flu hits the UK

Post by SecretAdmirerofChris »

Of course you can't kiss chickens, they have no lips.

*goes back to "admiring" chris

Return to “England”