24 Hour Opening

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
abbey

24 Hour Opening

Post by abbey »

Pubs in England (not sure about the rest of the uk) can now open 24 a day,

and boy have i noticed it, i have been woken 3 times in the night by "happy" revelers!"

i had to call the police at 4am because 2 men were beating up a man outside my house

and left him unconcious in the road.

IMO its a bad move by the government to allow licensing laws to be used this way,

especially in view of recent debates on "binge drinking"

I can never see us becoming a cafe society as is the rest of Europe.:(
gmc

24 Hour Opening

Post by gmc »

Most of the reason for binge drinking I think lies in the closing time practice we have. most people if they are going out for a drink are going to drink a certain amount, if you have to do it before a certain time then you order up and drink two or three pints while you can before closing time. instead of spreading it out over the evening and lingering over the drinks. It's become a custom. Then all the drunks hit the streets at the same time and head home or have a fight because there is nothing else to do, no wonder there are problems. let the novelty wear off and see how it pans out. Now they've banned smoking in pubs I might even go out myself of an evening.
Valerie100

24 Hour Opening

Post by Valerie100 »

I know that in Scotland, drug use is legal in their bars and taverns, but not on the streets. A tour guide warned us that if we were going to any bars or taverns that night, to get our own drinks, and don't be shocked by seeing people taking drugs or smoking pot in the bars and taverns.

Is England the same way?
Galbally

24 Hour Opening

Post by Galbally »

It will be interesting to see what happens with 24 hour opening times in the U.K. I think that people will go a bit mad for a few weeks and then the sensible ones should calm down, but I could be wrong. Anyway, let us know if civilization collaspses on your side of the Irish sea.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
lady cop

24 Hour Opening

Post by lady cop »

what kind of drugs are legal in Scottish pubs? hard drugs?? :eek: GMC where are you? i don't F-ing believe it!
gmc

24 Hour Opening

Post by gmc »

posted by valerie

I know that in Scotland, drug use is legal in their bars and taverns, but not on the streets. A tour guide warned us that if we were going to any bars or taverns that night, to get our own drinks, and don't be shocked by seeing people taking drugs or smoking pot in the bars and taverns.

Who on earth told you that one? I strongly recommend you get yourself a tour guide that knows what he is talking about. Don't expect us all to wear kilts and live on crofts either.

It is not legal anywhere to take drugs. Watch your drinks though, that's just common sense for any woman in the company of strangers, doesn't matter what country you are in somebody can spike them
Valerie100

24 Hour Opening

Post by Valerie100 »

GMC, well, that's what the man said.

In 1996, I went on a tour of England, Scotland and Wales. The tour guide told us this one about Scotland, about the drugs being legal in their drinking establishments.

We were actually sitting in the cocktail lounge of our hotel, and someone near us was popping pills, when he told this to us.

I don't know. I don't live there. I'm just repeating what the man said -- although, this was some years ago, so it could have been Wales. I don't know. I know that the tour guide did tell us this, though.
gmc

24 Hour Opening

Post by gmc »

posted by Valerie 100

GMC, well, that's what the man said.

In 1996, I went on a tour of England, Scotland and Wales. The tour guide told us this one about Scotland, about the drugs being legal in their drinking establishments.

We were actually sitting in the cocktail lounge of our hotel, and someone near us was popping pills, when he told this to us.

I don't know. I don't live there. I'm just repeating what the man said -- although, this was some years ago, so it could have been Wales. I don't know. I know that the tour guide did tell us this, though.

Sure the person wasn't taking paracetomol or something? This was a mystery tour was it, it's not as if they are neighbouring towns it would take you a full day to get from one to the other with at least three hours in traffic jams you would notice the difference. Your guide was talking through a hole in his head.
Wolverine

24 Hour Opening

Post by Wolverine »

abbey wrote: Pubs in England (not sure about the rest of the uk) can now open 24 a day,

and boy have i noticed it, i have been woken 3 times in the night by "happy" revelers!"

i had to call the police at 4am because 2 men were beating up a man outside my house

and left him unconcious in the road.

IMO its a bad move by the government to allow licensing laws to be used this way,

especially in view of recent debates on "binge drinking"

I can never see us becoming a cafe society as is the rest of Europe.:(
trust me sister, you don't want to be anything like the French.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

abbey

24 Hour Opening

Post by abbey »

Wolverine wrote: trust me sister, you don't want to be anything like the French.I'll drink to that!
Valerie100

24 Hour Opening

Post by Valerie100 »

The guide also said that there weren't anymore grey wolves in the countryside of England, Scotland and Wales. I swear that the bus drove passed one getting ready to attack a flock of sheep on a wooded, hilly countryside road.
teech

24 Hour Opening

Post by teech »

Our local council have had a very relaxed attitude to licensing laws for the last 10 years or so. For me it's normal to be sitting in a pub in the early hours of the morning. We were still celebrating a friend's birthday at 2am on a Sunday night/Monday morning back in May! The fact that people leaving the pubs is staggered means that taxis and takeaways aren't so busy and everyone is a lot calmer. It will settle down as people get used to it. My nights out generally start at 9.30 - 10.00 now rather than the 7 - 7.30 of my youth!

The only downside is that the nightclubs lost business - why pay to get in when you can stay in the pub. Now we have to travel to find a clubbing venue that's half way decent.
Accountable

24 Hour Opening

Post by Accountable »

The 24-hour thing is a new toy so the "kids" are going to have fun with it for now, but they will soon get used to it and things will settle down.

But gmc, are you certain you don't wear kilts anymore??
BabyRider

24 Hour Opening

Post by BabyRider »

Valerie100 wrote: The guide also said that there weren't anymore grey wolves in the countryside of England, Scotland and Wales. I swear that the bus drove passed one getting ready to attack a flock of sheep on a wooded, hilly countryside road.
OK, this is just too much. First the thing about drugs, now this. Grey wolves are among the hardest animal to see in the wild. They are reclusive and hate people. Even if you live in an area where wolves are prevalent, you will most likely not ever see one. What you saw was probably a coyote, or some other wild dog, but I can assure you, it wasn't a wolf.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

24 Hour Opening

Post by BabyRider »

Sorry for the hijack, Abbey. :-3
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

woppy71

24 Hour Opening

Post by woppy71 »

I love my boozing, and the idea of being able to drink at whatever time of the day that I want appeals to me, but on the other hand, during the course of my job. I have noticed that there seems to be more trouble happening more often at all times of the day and week.

E.G: I used to have to deal with drunken people mostly on thurs, fri and sat nights, but there now seems to be a definate rise in this problem on every day of the week, or time of day.

Just an observation.
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
chrisb84uk

24 Hour Opening

Post by chrisb84uk »

Have to agree with you on this subject Abbey. I can in some way see why the Government has this 24 hour opening policy, as for a lot of people, they can only find certain time to pop into their local for a drink during some more obscure times to relax. But too many idiots will simply take advantage of this, and spend the whole night boozing away, until they pass out or get thrown out.

I really can't see this changing, and it certainly isn't giving us any favourable impressions from other countries that I'm sure of. We will always been seen as the nation that loves to visit the pub more than others, and sadly always for the wrong reasons. Perhaps when more incidents occur, then the Government will look into this more and decide to act.

Return to “England”