Fox Hunt Returns

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
lady cop

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by lady cop »

'Successful start' to hunt season

Supporters and opponents of fox hunting both claim success as the first post-ban hunt season begins.

what do the Brits here at FG think about the ancient tradition of fox hunting?
venus

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by venus »

I hate it..

If you have to kill em, shoot em. Not let them get riupped to shreds by a pack of dogs...

I have no special love of foxes, l just think this is a blood thirsty way of doing it. An excuse if you ask me for the bloodthirsty to get a kick.

Do any of them eat the fox, nope kust smear its blood on the newbie. I mean yuck for crying out loud.:mad:
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
lady cop

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by lady cop »

under the new rules the dogs do NOT rip apart the fox.
theia

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by theia »

A barbaric "sport" and an outdated tradition. Or, put another way, I certainly wouldn't want to be the fox that was chased by horses and hounds and then ripped apart, Foxes can be a pest, I believe, to farmers and may need to be kept under control but surely there are more humane ways than a hunt?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
venus

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by venus »

yeah but is there some one there telling the dog that as it tries to sink its teeth in....

The dog signed some contract did it..

The dog will do as is natural fore it to do and as it has been trained to do for generations..

Not the dogs fault, but it will happen:thinking:
theia

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by theia »

lady cop wrote: under the new rules the dogs do NOT rip apart the fox.
I didn't know that LC. What happens then?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
lady cop

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by lady cop »

the link in my initial post explains it...ostensibly the fox may be shot or killed by a bird of prey. none of the alternatives are attractive to the poor little fox.
venus

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by venus »

Like you said lm sure it feels much happier having a great big set of talons grab it and a beak rip it apart instead.

I know there need to be kulls, but be humane like Theia said..:(
booradley

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by booradley »

all for it. dogs are far more effective than guns, which often leave the fox injured rather than dead. Even if no one ever goes out on horse back again, farmers will still use dogs to control foxes. It's the whole rich people on horseback people/the media don't like.
booradley

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by booradley »

lady cop wrote: the link in my initial post explains it...ostensibly the fox may be shot or killed by a bird of prey. none of the alternatives are attractive to the poor little fox.
apart from in the Highlands, we don't have birds of prey big enough to kill foxes.
pennyforyourthoughts

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by pennyforyourthoughts »

booradley wrote: It's the whole rich people on horseback people/the media don't like.

I am not for it at all, find the whole thing disgusting but agree with the above.
abbey

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by abbey »

booradley wrote: all for it. dogs are far more effective than guns, which often leave the fox injured rather than dead. Even if no one ever goes out on horse back again, farmers will still use dogs to control foxes. It's the whole rich people on horseback people/the media don't like.Ah yes, the good old hounds that humanely kill their quarry, tallyho.

http://www.atourhands.com/foxhunt.html
orangesox1

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by orangesox1 »

This little fox found a good hiding place

Attached files
chrisb84uk

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by chrisb84uk »

hehehe nice pic OS.

I'm gonna have to agree with mostly everyone else on this one. I don't agree with fox hunting, as in my opinion it's just an awful way to kill foxes, by having them hunted down for fun. Agreed that foxes aren't exactly the most caring of creatures compared to most, but even foxes don't deserve to be hunted.
venus

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by venus »

My God Abbey...

I looked at the link, it disgusts me that this is done in the name of sport.....

If this was a natural thing and the animal was for food for a wild dog ok, but that...

Humans make me sick some times and this is one of those times:mad:
pennyforyourthoughts

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by pennyforyourthoughts »

venus wrote:

Humans make me sick some times and this is one of those times:mad:
I couldn't agree more!
Betty Boop

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by Betty Boop »

ArnoldLayne wrote:

If you cant protect your livestock from foxes then you shouldnt have them .

Thats fine for chickens you can take precautions, shut them in at night, build secure runs etc.

What about sheep, not every farmer can house all his sheep during lambing seasons, and foxes have been known to get into the lambing sheds. I have seen the trail of distruction left by a fox after killing four lambs in one night on my sisters farm. This particular fox didn't kill for food, all the lambs were left behind.

The Hunt certainly didn't do themselves any favours, they left behind their own trail of destruction, hedges knocked down and never repaired, galloping through fields of livestock etc. Even if they do go out and 'pretend' to hunt they won't be welcome on many farms around here.

I have also witnessed an anti-hunt supporter (and so called animal lover) drive his 4 x 4 at a huntsman on horseback, the horse reared and it's hooves made a nice dent in the bonnett, thats how close that mad man got. :-5
Galbally

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by Galbally »

I certainly wouldn't be arsed going on a Fox hunt with the nobs and its not that pleasant for the fox but really, is it all that important? I mean they're not hunting children, and foxes are not exactly the most plesant creatures are they? and I don't think that they are on the endangered list just yet. Yes, I would prefer if these people didn't do it, but I wouldn't see it as a huge problem, and it will probably die out eventually anyway because of its innate barbarity. I think this moral argument about shooting them being more "civilized" or pleasant for the fox is a bit silly, it might make more sense of foxes could shoot back maybe. If you went along that line of argument you wounld end up with foxes being (somehow?) gently captured and subsequently nonpainfully euthenized with a lethal injection counducted by a nice person who is terribly sorry about the whole thing.

I do think that the hunting people have a point when they say its a country issue, not an urban one, city people are so obsessed with animal welfare sometimes that you'd think that they forget how many of them they consume in the average calender year. I think a bit of good old British class warfare is involved too. Anyway, it shouldn't be banned, just controlled, that doesn't mean that it should be open season on every living thing now, mind you, but a bit of balance would be in order. Anyway, we're not banning it in Ireland cause frankly we couldn't give a monkeys about flippin foxes, so they can come over here and pay us to carry on their silly chases.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Bothwell

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by Bothwell »

Dont object to the hunting with hounds but I don't see why 100 hooray Henry's and Henrietta's have to chase after it as well. They do rip the fox apart but the kills I have seen are over pretty quick, much quicker than a fox being wounded by and incompetent shot.

The idea that it is effective pest control is ludicrous I think the highest kill figures for hunts are about 1 in 5 hunts end in a kill, it's NOT about pest control it's about sport. Dogs are a perfectly effective way to kill foxes but not for controlling them.

I do have one major problem with the Anti lobby, they do not seem to recognise that foxes need controlling, they are at record levels here now and have no natural predators, as a life long country dweller I do not need to be told by a Chelsea farmer that these cuddly creatures need to be nurtured.

The worst aspect of all of this is the bloody Parliamentary time that has been dedicated to it, there were more people involved in protests about this law than there were for Mr Blairs sally into Iraq, which tells you quite a lot about us Brits, War - Ok let's have a go chaps.

Foxes - Oh no the dear little creatures
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
l.plates

Fox Hunt Returns

Post by l.plates »

Hi All

Totaly against it, should set the dogs on the huntsman see how they like it?

:mad: :mad:

Return to “England”