Strange puppy behavior

All aspects of your pet's behavior. Do you need help? Is your pet behaving normally?
winkfamily
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Strange puppy behavior

Post by winkfamily »

We recently rescued a puppy from a shelter; a great perinese husky mix. She is about 11 weeks old and has been with us for 3 weeks. Recently she has started to spend some of her time just walking around the perimeter of our house with her head down and her mouth slightly open; she does this over and over again. I have never seen a puppy do this before so I am hoping someone with more dog/puppy experience may have seen this before.

We took her to the vet last Friday and she got a clean bill of health.
User avatar
valerie
Posts: 7125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Strange puppy behavior

Post by valerie »

First of all, good for you for the rescue!! :-4

I have some questions... is the puppy actually going around the

perimeter of the HOUSE or is it the yard... or perhaps both?

And where exactly are you located, are you in the country?

I was thinking there might be "critters" of some sort and she's

picking up the scent.

What do you do when she does this? Do you try to re-direct her

at all? Is she easily taken away from this behavior or is she sort

of "crazed" about it? If you haven't tried stopping her from doing

it, that is where I would start. A little obed training, simple things...

or her favorite toy or ball.

The only other thing I can think of is that this might be a boredom

thing. She's only a baby, even though she might look big, but they

can still need more physical and mental stimulation, especially the

husky part of her mix.

Good for you also on taking her to the vet for a check!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525



User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by Accountable »

winkfamily;922445 wrote: We recently rescued a puppy from a shelter; a great perinese husky mix. She is about 11 weeks old and has been with us for 3 weeks. Recently she has started to spend some of her time just walking around the perimeter of our house with her head down and her mouth slightly open; she does this over and over again. I have never seen a puppy do this before so I am hoping someone with more dog/puppy experience may have seen this before.



We took her to the vet last Friday and she got a clean bill of health.Like Val says, good on ya for the rescue! :yh_clap



Where are you? It's summer here (hot as hell) and that's a cold-weather pup. Can you upload a video by some great coincidence? :)
winkfamily
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Strange puppy behavior

Post by winkfamily »

Thank you all for your help. We figured it out the hard way last night. She got worse last night and she began whining and drooling while she was following the perimeter of the house. We ran her down to an emergency pet hospital and they discovered that the ammonia levels in her blood were 4 times higher than normal; which they said effects her brain functions.

The vet said that this is due to a blood vessel (or vessels) which is allowing her blood to by pass her liver. She spent the night in the hospital and we are hoping to pick her up today. We will have her tested by her normal vet to see if this can be corrected surgically or if she will have to be on medication and a special diet.

The vet called it a type of shunt.
pantsonfire321@aol.com
Posts: 2920
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:26 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

All the best to you and your little one i do hope doggie feels better soon .:-6:-6
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D







Smile people :yh_bigsmi







yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by Trunk Monkey »

I want to say welcome to FG and so happy you rescued this pup. I found a website that may help you understand what is happening http://vetsurgerycentral.com/pss.htm

Good luck and please keep us udated :-6
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by Accountable »

winkfamily;922643 wrote: Thank you all for your help. We figured it out the hard way last night. She got worse last night and she began whining and drooling while she was following the perimeter of the house. We ran her down to an emergency pet hospital and they discovered that the ammonia levels in her blood were 4 times higher than normal; which they said effects her brain functions.



The vet said that this is due to a blood vessel (or vessels) which is allowing her blood to by pass her liver. She spent the night in the hospital and we are hoping to pick her up today. We will have her tested by her normal vet to see if this can be corrected surgically or if she will have to be on medication and a special diet.



The vet called it a type of shunt.
Goodness! Finger crossed for you. :yh_flower
User avatar
valerie
Posts: 7125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Strange puppy behavior

Post by valerie »

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you acted quickly, though.

Interesting that her vet gave her a clean bill of health such a short

time ago, but things can change rapidly with the little ones.

Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully you'll find a way to manage

her problem and she'll be fine.

>
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525



User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by Accountable »

valerie;922833 wrote: Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you acted quickly, though.

Interesting that her vet gave her a clean bill of health such a short

time ago, but things can change rapidly with the little ones.



Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully you'll find a way to manage

her problem and she'll be fine.



>
They probably checked for worms & diseases & didn't even think about a physical-type defect.
User avatar
valerie
Posts: 7125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Strange puppy behavior

Post by valerie »

Accountable;922839 wrote: They probably checked for worms & diseases & didn't even think about a physical-type defect.


I'm sure that's the case, and normally in a pup that age, if eyes

are clear, etc. there'd really be no reason to automatically do a

blood test.

Poor little thing, I hope she's okay.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525



User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by Oscar Namechange »

WINKFAMILY, hope puppy is doing well. Hurts so much to hear of the defenceless in suffering. Keep me updated. They just can't tell us the symtoms can they??

If only all pet owners were so observant--many of their lives would be saved in time.

I did a delivery nearly a week ago-- found little 12 wk old Jack Russell pup in cage in filthy kitchen. Guy was going to dump her, said she was a pain in the neck. She didn't even have a name. As for choosing the right pup, there was no question here. She was in my car & out of there in seconds.

Happy to report that all is well. She has settled in & has been accepted by my other dogs. "Nosey Rosie" has torn house to peices in days dispite getting her puppy chews, toys etc. She will have anything---slippers, toilet rolls, pens, mobile phones etc.

Sometimes i think "God, i'm too old for this again after breeding Jack Russells. Then i look at her tiny little wasted body, upside down, fast asleep with a full belly & think "Your worth it"

She wakes up & is so pleased to see us. She couldn't believe her freedom on the first day in her new home. No cage, just a house to manically tear around.

Lots of cuddles & praise---she's going to be a star.

Sentimental, i know but we have to think of all those out there who are not found & given a chance. It breaks my heart.

OSCAR
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Strange puppy behavior

Post by Oscar Namechange »

To all the lost, abused, sick & abandoned animals----my heart is large enough for all of you----sadly, my house is not.

OSCAR:-1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Pet Behavior”