puppy HELP!

All aspects of training your pet.
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

I have a ten or so week old cocker mix born on Oct. 05 2008. He is the cutest thing to lay your eyes on. If he continues to crap in my house I am going to commit suicide. I have many of dogs in my day and the best method that has worked for me is to resemble pack leader and growl as if I am so. This puppy craps 5 - 7 times a day and when I say craps he lays them out there, they are full blown bowl movements. Solid also a tad soft but definetly formed. I am running out of hope my last resort is to keep him in his crate out to drink, feed, do his business and then right back in till lunch to do it all over again...same for dinner time. Any suggestions please please please help!



:-5desperate,

Carrie
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Odie »

spldrttn1;1103774 wrote: I have a ten or so week old cocker mix born on Oct. 05 2008. He is the cutest thing to lay your eyes on. If he continues to crap in my house I am going to commit suicide. I have many of dogs in my day and the best method that has worked for me is to resemble pack leader and growl as if I am so. This puppy craps 5 - 7 times a day and when I say craps he lays them out there, they are full blown bowl movements. Solid also a tad soft but definetly formed. I am running out of hope my last resort is to keep him in his crate out to drink, feed, do his business and then right back in till lunch to do it all over again...same for dinner time. Any suggestions please please please help!



:-5desperate,

Carrie


seems to me, he is taking to many a day! I think he should be taken to the vets asap.



training puppies is hard, use a newspaper, then ever so slowly move the newspaper closer to the door. They now have puppy pads, much easier to use as it doesn't soil the floor.

growling will make him afraid.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by abbey »

How many times a day do you feed your puppy?

Maybe you're feeding it too much, it does'nt seem fair to keep it in it's crate just because you dont want to clean up it's crap,

it's a puppy, it has to go and cant be expected to know what you expect of it.

As odie says, put down newspaper, line it to the door until it eventually goes outside to do it's business.

:thinking: Unless of course you live in an apartment, if so, I suggest a parachute

Welcome to FG. :-6
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

puppy HELP!

Post by kazalala »

I would also suggest making a big fuss and giving treats when he does it outside,,and ignore when he does it inside,, dont even let him see you cleaning it up. Maybe you will have to spend a couple of days watching him very closely so you can quickly get him outside when he looks ready to go,, then dont forget to reward him,, remember he is only ten weeks,, he just needs to learn that when he wants to go he needs to go outside,, he will get it eventualy if he knows it involves a treat:sneaky:




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1103794 wrote: seems to me, he is taking to many a day! I think he should be taken to the vets asap.



training puppies is hard, use a newspaper, then ever so slowly move the newspaper closer to the door. They now have puppy pads, much easier to use as it doesn't soil the floor.

growling will make him afraid.I have quite a few dogs and also have had pups born here in the past....reason I have many dogs lol as got to attached to them:rolleyes:......anyway Odie is bang on here about the newspaper....but remember dont take it out on the pup what its doing and fgs dont smack or tell it off when you come home as the poor little thing will have no idea why you are doing it as it did its business prob ages before and dosent even know it was wrong......as for growling I have no idea where you got that from.......be patient and you will get there.;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
southern yankee
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by southern yankee »

I had a Beagle. that was impossible to house break. took her to the vet. come to find out she had worms and seizures. So have the pup checked out. Are you home with him?? I found it harder when i was working.
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

Yes, I am home all day with him. I did the crate thing today knock on wood first day no mistakes...Next will be the vet visit. Thanks

Carrie
southern yankee
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by southern yankee »

spldrttn1;1104501 wrote: Yes, I am home all day with him. I did the crate thing today knock on wood first day no mistakes...Next will be the vet visit. Thanks

Carrie believe it or not i had a cat. that i thought i would never litter box train. but i am sure you will succeed. good luck to both of you. keep us posted:)
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by minks »

Check puppies food? You may have to move to a higher quality, the more filler in dog food the more poops. Next suggestion would be a visit to the vet, that seems like too much poop.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
southern yankee
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by southern yankee »

minks;1104975 wrote: Check puppies food? You may have to move to a higher quality, the more filler in dog food the more poops. Next suggestion would be a visit to the vet, that seems like too much poop. i think you may have something there
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Odie »

minks;1104975 wrote: Check puppies food? You may have to move to a higher quality, the more filler in dog food the more poops. Next suggestion would be a visit to the vet, that seems like too much poop.


your right about puppies food!

and that visit to the vets!
Life is just to short for drama.
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

nope puppy is already eating highest qaulity organic food....and the vet will be the next stop. Good new though I am doing the crate thing 2 days now and he has done very well. Poops twice in the AM and once in the evening...OUTSIDE. Getting on a schedule is what he needed I think. Thanks for all your help and advice. I will keep you all posted!

Carrie:rolleyes:
southern yankee
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by southern yankee »

spldrttn1;1105415 wrote: nope puppy is already eating highest qaulity organic food....and the vet will be the next stop. Good new though I am doing the crate thing 2 days now and he has done very well. Poops twice in the AM and once in the evening...OUTSIDE. Getting on a schedule is what he needed I think. Thanks for all your help and advice. I will keep you all posted!

Carrie:rolleyes: if it is possble can you post a pic??
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Odie »

spldrttn1;1105415 wrote: nope puppy is already eating highest qaulity organic food....and the vet will be the next stop. Good new though I am doing the crate thing 2 days now and he has done very well. Poops twice in the AM and once in the evening...OUTSIDE. Getting on a schedule is what he needed I think. Thanks for all your help and advice. I will keep you all posted!

Carrie:rolleyes:


did you try the puppy pads.
Life is just to short for drama.
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

I will try to post a pic...and I do not like the puppy pads or newspaper, just teaches them to go in doors. Never used them never will!
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Carolly »

spldrttn1;1105427 wrote: I will try to post a pic...and I do not like the puppy pads or newspaper, just teaches them to go in doors. Never used them never will!
Rubbish of course it dont and I should know fgs having so many dogs.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Odie »

spldrttn1;1105427 wrote: I will try to post a pic...and I do not like the puppy pads or newspaper, just teaches them to go in doors. Never used them never will!


it does teach them, that is what everyone does!

its how your first train a new puppy, yes they are going to go indoors for awhile, they don`t come trained like cats.

its rubbish to growl at them!
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1105431 wrote: it does teach them, that is what everyone does!

its how your first train a new puppy, yes they are going to go indoors for awhile, they don`t come trained like cats.

its rubbish to growl at them!Agree with every word Odie.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

well that's what i do and it has worked for me. What works for some does not work for most...He is getting better and 2 days already knock on wood no boo-boo's.
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by minks »

spldrttn1;1105435 wrote: well that's what i do and it has worked for me. What works for some does not work for most...He is getting better and 2 days already knock on wood no boo-boo's.


Alright yay there is progress so happy to hear that and glad puppers did not have to go to the vet.

Dogs are funny I have 2 oldest has always gone outside unless ill. Brought home number 2 as a pup and that beggar still uses a pad :-5 I give up hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
southern yankee
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by southern yankee »

I wonder if some breeds are easier then others. I have had problems with Beagles. But i have only had 5 dogs in my life. three were mixed beagles. all i had problems with. The other 2, one looked like Bengi, the other part Rat terrier.:confused::confused:
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

Thank you Minks...for all your support.

:-6
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by minks »

southern yankee;1105440 wrote: I wonder if some breeds are easier then others. I have had problems with Beagles. But i have only had 5 dogs in my life. three were mixed beagles. all i had problems with. The other 2, one looked like Bengi, the other part Rat terrier.:confused::confused:


I have also heard tiny breeds are fussy... doggie number 2 here is tiny.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
southern yankee
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by southern yankee »

minks;1105442 wrote: I have also heard tiny breeds are fussy... doggie number 2 here is tiny. well my Pippy. a part beagle. It took me about 6 weeks. while the other 2. one had med. problems. the other. i just had to keep outside.
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

puppy HELP!

Post by buttercup »

This is actually easy. Puppy's sleep a lot, everytime puppy wakes up take it outside, wait for it to pee & poop, dont expect this to happen in the first few seconds, stay outside & wait. When puppy does it get all excited & tell it what a good boy/girl it is, you could also give a small treat. Go back inside & play with puppy, puppy gets tired & falls asleep & then you start all over again lol. He/she will get it in no time.

Growling will only work if puppy is jumping up trying to steal your food or pulling at your trouser leg ect, it WILL NOT work for toileting, you will only confuse it.
spldrttn1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

puppy HELP!

Post by spldrttn1 »

aaahhhh thanks buttercup, got the whole routine thing down...figured that out. Actually day 3 and no errors. I have used this growling technique for all my other dogs and it has worked well for me. A misbehavior is a misbehavior weather they are jumping or barking or pooping and peeing in the home, wrong is wrong. Thanks everyone anyway...to many chefs in the kitchen make it more stressful! Thanks again have a good new year everyone!

Carrie :)

Return to “Training Your Pet”