Gold

Discuss Astrology, Confucianism, Healing Arts, Hinduism, Mysticism, Paganism, Reincarnation, Sikhism, others
koan

Gold

Post by koan »

In ancient times, alchemists tried to turn lead into gold. Some claim to have done it. This is how gunpowder was invented, ironically enough. Alchemists, engaged in trying to find the elixir of life found the bringer of death. It was created for consumption and they discovered it exploded.

I wonder if they discovered that before or after it was consumed?

Modern alchemists mostly are concerned with turning the "lead" of a person's soul into the "gold" of spiritual enlightenment. This is supposed to be the original intent of alchemy. Those crazy literalists, I guess they "blow" everything out of proportion! :yh_bigsmi
Tombstone

Gold

Post by Tombstone »

koan wrote: In ancient times, alchemists tried to turn lead into gold. Some claim to have done it. This is how gunpowder was invented, ironically enough. Alchemists, engaged in trying to find the elixir of life found the bringer of death. It was created for consumption and they discovered it exploded.

I wonder if they discovered that before or after it was consumed?

Modern alchemists mostly are concerned with turning the "lead" of a person's soul into the "gold" of spiritual enlightenment. This is supposed to be the original intent of alchemy. Those crazy literalists, I guess they "blow" everything out of proportion! :yh_bigsmi

Hasn't there been a renewed interest in alchemy? With modern technology, who knows what they will find.

Are you familiar with the gentleman who is producing perfect "fake" diamonds? Would you consider him a modern day alchemist? This is a good read:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
koan

Gold

Post by koan »

Thanks for the link, Tombstone. Very interesting indeed.

When looking at the literal aspects of alchemy, you could change gold to diamonds and have the same effect. The reason in modern times to attempt this is most likely just for the monetary reward. What happens to a valuable substance when it is mass produced. If it loses its value then they will have to find something else to duplicate. I don't really get the obsession people have for owning valuable item such as gold or diamonds anyway. I am more impressed with the technological uses they are considering now that they can make larger diamonds more readily available. The technology of this creation will feed the technology of computers and what else? Very exciting.

I suppose, on the abstract sense of alchemy, it is always taking place. Every time there is a transformation in a persons soul bringing them to greater awareness there is alchemy taking place. We here at Forumgarden are all, in this abstract sense, practicing alchemy.
Tombstone

Gold

Post by Tombstone »

Indeed!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Ancient Wisdom”