Stonehenge

Discuss Astrology, Confucianism, Healing Arts, Hinduism, Mysticism, Paganism, Reincarnation, Sikhism, others
koan

Stonehenge

Post by koan »

What do you think they did at Stonehenge?
gmc

Stonehenge

Post by gmc »

Stone age priest, "I know what we can do let's move these massive stones and stand them on end in a big circle. Being polite and not wanting to hurt his feelings by telling him where to go those around agreed despite the overwhelming desire that there were more important things to do with their time. Since then then we have been letting priests get away with conning us un to doing stupid things and now it is such a habit nobody questions what priests tell them. Thus do people do the stupidest things in the name of religon.
koan

Stonehenge

Post by koan »

gmc wrote: Stone age priest, "I know what we can do let's move these massive stones and stand them on end in a big circle. Being polite and not wanting to hurt his feelings by telling him where to go those around agreed despite the overwhelming desire that there were more important things to do with their time.

This is probably the best theory I've heard :wah:

Wouldn't it be fun to set up some kind of bizarre site now just so people can ponder it two hundred years from now?

Let's try to create something that makes people believe that it we were an alien race!
koan

Stonehenge

Post by koan »

KlatunIckto wrote: I think the old sages tried to figure out the meaning of life,while the others got naked,and had good old fashion fun. :D

I don't recall the use of sex magick in any of my Druid books. They were into nature and magick using ritual to divine the weather and manipulate natural forces, as a generalization. Some suspect phallicism but I haven't seen much to support it. I may look at an upright stone and see an arrow, you may look at it and see a phallus. The eye of the beholder?

I have heard theories about the circle being built by a race of giants...but there are many stories, yes? I wonder who did build it. There are stone circles all over the world, I wonder what their connection could be?
koan

Stonehenge

Post by koan »

I've heard that all the stone circles were placed on meridians that have significantly more magnetic energy flowing through them and have heard postulations that the centre of the arrangement of stones is the former site of Atlantis. All just stories.

They did make it illegal to worship rocks in Ireland for a while. Hope all the rock lovers are no longer being oppressed.
persephone

Stonehenge

Post by persephone »

There are supposed to be loads of Ley Lines converging at Stonehenge.

The long distance ley-line that in England courses 300 miles from Land’s End to Hopton in Norfolk, passing through Glastonbury Tor and the Avebury complex. This thoroughly-researched ley-line contains alignments which accurately targeted the Beltane sunrise during the era of megalithic constructions, and was perceived to be the most important ley-line in the United Kingdom, with some special attributes thought to be unique. However, due to the precession of the equinoxes the Beltane alignment is now less defined than once it was. It is often referred to as the Beltane Ley, or St Michael Ley.

And one that does pass through Stonehenge...

The Silbury Meridian Line runs from the South Coast near Bournemouth and, like the Beltane Ley, passes through most of the primary sacred sites of the ancient peoples. These include Stonehenge, first laid out as an earth circle around 3,200 BC, Silbury Hill and Avebury Henge, where it crosses the Beltane Ley. To ancient Chinese Feng Shui masters, the crossing point of two dragon lines was considered highly auspicious, depicting sacred space.

Our Silbury dragon line then continues up through Arbor Low (known as the Stonehenge of the North) and Holy Island priory, finally passing through Peterhead in Scotland as it stretches powerfully Northwards. It is no coincidence that these man-made structures were created along the Silbury Line since they were constructed in accordance with sacred geomantic principles by the Neolithic astronomer priests, linking Earth to Sky: "As above, so below".

Ref: A Natural Meridian for the Geodetic Zodiacal Map by Maria Wheatley & Laurence Upton
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
koan

Stonehenge

Post by koan »

Letha :-6

What a great post!

I want to check out that map and see if there are any ley lines close to where I am. Might make for an interesting vacation. How did they discover the ley lines so long ago? My imagination is that they could sense them using their "magnetic" bodies. But they may have had tools such as divining rods. Do you know?
persephone

Stonehenge

Post by persephone »

Koan, check this site out it Finding Places of Power: Dowsing Earth Energies it explains how it feels etc.

Strange though, I lived in Lowestoft all my life and never knew about the Beltane Ley until about a year before I moved. All I knew then was it finished "just north of Lowestoft", drove around for a while in that area and knew it was the said church, but more from guessing because of the age.

Never felt anything that they talk about, although I guess you could always say that I was used to it living there for so long. :thinking:
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
CVX

Stonehenge

Post by CVX »

Archeologists Uncover Russian 'Stonehenge'

By Olga Sobolevskaya

RIA Novosti

MOSCOW -- Russia now has a Stonehenge of its own. In the summer, a 4,000-year-old megalithic structure was uncovered at a Spasskaya Luka site, in the central Russian region of Ryazan. This structure, which, archeologists believe, was built as a sanctuary, sits on a hill overlooking the confluence of the Oka and the Pron rivers. The surrounding area has always been seen as an "archeological encyclopedia," a kaleidoscope of cultures ranging from the Upper Paleolithic to the Dark Ages.

"If we look at this archeological site as represented on a map, it will be a circle seven meters in diameter, marked with pillars, half a meter thick and the same distance apart from each other," says the expedition leader Ilya Akhmedov, who works in the Moscow Historical Museum's Archeological Monuments Department. "Here's a large rectangular hole and a pillar in the center of the circle. The wooden pillars have not survived, of course, but the large holes from which they once stuck out can be seen pretty clearly. Along the edges of the site there are two more holes. Originally, there may have been four of them, but the bank over here is being destroyed by a ravine, so the temple has caved in partially."

Another hole with a pillar has been unearthed several meters east of the site. And there is also one to the south, which was discovered three years ago. "In all probability, there's a second row of pillars surrounding the shrine, a dozen meters away," Mr. Akhmedov says.

The two pillar pairs form a gateway, which, if looked through from the center, will provide a spectacular sunset view in the summertime. Another pillar, behind the circular fence, points to where the sun rises. The monument's structure has prompted scholars to advance a hypothesis about its astronomical purpose. The objects found here must have been designed with religious ritual in mind.

The size of the holes varies from 44x46cm to 75x56cm. A small ceramic vessel has been found in the central hole. It is finely decorated with zigzags, resembling sunrays, and with curly lines, which symbolize water. Archeologists specializing in the Bronze Period have recognized the artifact as dating back to "their age." Visually, it is reminiscent of objects produced by southern Eurasian tribes.

Fragments of long bones and teeth have been extracted from one of the holes outside the sanctuary. These are believed to be the remains of a sacrifice. But neither can we disregard the fact that the large holes were used for burial. A layer of organic decay has been discovered on the bottom of the central hole-archeologists put the decomposition of bones down to some peculiar properties of the local soils. The remains found here may well have belonged to a posthumously sanctified tribal chief.

Old sanctuaries are often located beside burial sites. This is attributable to pagans' view of death as the point of transition to the afterlife. In ancient folklore, not only the life of nature was seen as a cycle, but human life was, too. The solar and the lunar cults were related to the cult of fertility and to the mythological link between life and death. There are numerous tombs at Stonehenge and Avebury - Europe's most famous circular-shaped sanctuaries. The very idea of a circular structure goes back to ancient legends about the Creation. The circle - a magic geometrical shape with no beginning or end - was regarded as a symbol of eternity and infinity.

There is more than one cemetery at the Spassakya Luka site. Finno-Ugric tribes arrived here at some point during the period known as the Great Resettlement. Interestingly enough, not a single one of their tombs encroached upon the ancient observatory, a fact suggesting that they must have known about the structure's sacral significance.

The old Ryazan sanctuary is, indeed, a unique monument. Similar monuments have been found in southern Russian steppes and in the trans-Urals tundra, but these are not as representative and have few artifacts.

Sanctuaries with pillars began spreading across Europe at the end of the 1st millennium AD. Some examples have been excavated in the modern-day Czech Republic and Slovakia. "There can be no blood kinship between the ethnic groups who erected Stonehenge and the Ryazan observatory," Mr. Akhmedov contends. "The latter obviously points to some influence by migrant groups from the southeast of the Eurasian steppe."

© 2004 RIA Novosti http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?msg_id=5081228
gimli3

Stonehenge

Post by gimli3 »

gmc wrote: Stone age priest, "I know what we can do let's move these massive stones and stand them on end in a big circle. Being polite and not wanting to hurt his feelings by telling him where to go those around agreed despite the overwhelming desire that there were more important things to do with their time. Since then then we have been letting priests get away with conning us un to doing stupid things and now it is such a habit nobody questions what priests tell them. Thus do people do the stupidest things in the name of religon.
:-5

I like it -- I like it -- I like it!

koan has a good idea too.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Stonehenge

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I dont think the one here in the uk is as old as they say it is ,when you get up close you can see the stone has been encased in concrete or some thing it looks like it has been cladded not sure how they would of done that zillions of years ago but the corners are perfect in some places -i think its a big con from what i saw .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Yavanna

Stonehenge

Post by Yavanna »

The cladding is modern - it's been done to replace chunks of the original stones which have either been chipped off by people over the centuries or due to natural erosion.

I visited Stonehenge last week. I have to be honest - I always find it slightly disappointing. As a card-carrying member of the pagan community, I'm embarrassed to admit that, but it's true.

Part of that is because you can't get up close to the stones unless you pre-arrange a guided tour ; from the distance of the walkway, the site seems smaller than the image you see on TV.

Also, there are so many other tourists there that any sense of the magic of the place - the numinous of the landscape - is lost because of the hordes of people wandering around with those horrible audio-guides plugged into their ears.

Perhaps the midsummer solstice ceremony is something I should try.....
Galbally

Stonehenge

Post by Galbally »

I think it was an neolithic arboretum, which also doubled up as a local gig venue on Friday nights.....come on, its bleedin obvious!. Well its either that or a ritualistic astronmical clock and a site of divine communion with the blessed spirits of the woods and the rivers and the blah, blah, blah, etc etc. Look, it was an arboretum selling daffodills mostly, end of story.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
St Ives

Stonehenge

Post by St Ives »

I have been going to Stonehenge for many years and somewhere have a photo of me sitting on one of the stones - yeah I know I was part of the dinasour era :) hehehe.

I have also been to the stones at Avebury and found them to be much more.... Stonehenge is an amazing place true but it seems to have lost something over the years. Avebury still makes you feel apart of the great creation. You feel connected to the Earth somehow. It is much less of a tourist attraction too so this has maybe helped it to stay etheral.
nvalleyvee

Stonehenge

Post by nvalleyvee »

I believe Stonehenge was a place where the seasons were tracked. The times of the year when the days were longest and shortest.......summer and winter solstice. They also tracked when the days were even amount of day and night......the spring and autumn equinox. It was a way to track the seasons and know when to plant and celebrate the the seasons that meant so much to their survival. Do you really think it is just coincidence our seasons coincide with these natural occuring events? I know they could predict the blue moon. It is astronomical and their religion was based on this.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Return to “Ancient Wisdom”