Heartbreak very close to home

A forum to discuss local issues in AK, HI, WA, OR, CA
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Sometimes you watch the local news, just sitting there mindlessly letting them ramble on...until you hear a name you recognize or see a photo of someone you know. I saw this today:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia ... 106852.xml

I met the mother, Perla, last year. I wasn't close to her, but she was smart, very positive, cheerful, and had a quick smile for everyone.

I briefly played with her daughter one night after work. I was waiting for my ride to pick me up while Perla and her daughter were waiting for a friend. The baby was just getting her "walking legs". She was so cute, happy, curious, somewhat clumsy...touching everything in sight with those adorable short little baby fingers that always amaze me.

And now she's dead. I just can't believe it! I don't understand the mindset of a person who would harm a baby like that.

Several of us at work are visibly stunned and hurt. Another friend of mine is a coworker of Perla's now, and my friend is also falling apart, having just played with the baby at Halloween.

I don't even know what I want to say...just vent and grieve, I guess.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Peg

Post by Peg »

Stories like this one are just so sad. If the mother went and killed the babysitter, it would be justifiable homicide to me.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:-1 Tragic,

Just happens way to often. :mad: I just don't understand people sometimes. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Agreed, Peg! It's so awful... :( The mother Perla is amazingly strong, but we can only imagine how she is feeling.

Thank you both for responding. It helps to share things.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

Return to “Pacific West”