Salton Sea

A forum to discuss local issues in AK, HI, WA, OR, CA
Bez

Salton Sea

Post by Bez »

I picked up a copy of National Geographic today and read an article about the Salton Sea. It was very interesting. Has anyone ever been there and what is it like ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
minks

Salton Sea

Post by minks »

Bez wrote: I picked up a copy of National Geographic today and read an article about the Salton Sea. It was very interesting. Has anyone ever been there and what is it like ?

I was by it one very very scarey road trip in the pitch black darkness. We were so scared on this trip we were not stopping for anything. We were lost and had ourselves convinced if we drove off the road into the sand filled ditches, mexican sand pirates and nasty desert snakes would kill us. I kid you not we had worked ourselves into a silly scare. Then at the end where we ended up sleeping (el Centro) was the worst adventure of all, a night of people screaming about guns, drugs and illegal runs across the border. And no A/C. I wish we could have gone back in daylight to quell the fear. Funny now but not then.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Salton Sea

Post by chonsigirl »

That is a great article, Bez. I remember going by it many times as a kid, such a strange gigantic lake in the middle of the desert. And it wasn't very good to swim in, we usually drove on until we got to Palm Springs or Hot Springs to go swimming.
Bez

Salton Sea

Post by Bez »

Apparently it is danger of drying up...an ecological disaster.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Salton Sea

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, there are many species there now. But also think, it has only been there 100 years. It took that short of time for all those ecological niches to fill up, and the water level is decreasing.

Return to “Pacific West”