Shots against Chicken Pox

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

CrazyGirl's MMR thread reminded me. When we first came to the states the doctors wanted to give both my kids shots against chicken pox, until I pointed out they had both had chicken pox and their bodies had built up their own immune system. How long has this been done is the USA? I have not be in UK for 3 yrs - do UK do this too? I was very surprised to hear that there was shots against chicken pox.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I didn't know there were either until Karls recent Pox scare. Why is it not more widely known?
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

crazygal;630012 wrote: I didn't know there were either until Karls recent Pox scare. Why is it not more widely known?

Does the UK do them - I don't remember that they did? I always thought Chicken Pox in children is fairly harmless, but can get nasty in adults.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

ThePheasant;630014 wrote: Does the UK do them - I don't remember that they did? I always thought Chicken Pox in children is fairly harmless, but can get nasty in adults.

They do in adults as well but as I said, I didn't have a clue until a couple of weeks ago. If I hadn't had them Iid have the jab for sure.

Myself, my brother and my sister weren't vaccinated against anything as our mum said she didn't like the thought of all that going around our bodies. I had it all other than German Measles, my sister had everything and my brother just Chickenpox or it may have been Measles. I think it's stupid not having jabs, especially with something like Mumps or Shingles should you get it as an adult but everyone's views are different I guess.
venus

Post by venus »

did not realise that you could or that we had them here..

l and my son diod it the old fashioned way of catching em:D
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I asked at the doctors today and they said no vaccination once you're an adult. Keep getting told different things!
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

crazygal;630410 wrote: I asked at the doctors today and they said no vaccination once you're an adult. Keep getting told different things!

I don't really understand the need for vaccinating children, unless they are high risk due to other circumstances. After all, unless someone can tell me differently, it really isn't a big deal in kids. However, I do think that if as an adult you have not had CP, then the vaccine should be used, as it is much worse for adults.

I remember everone used to try and expose their kids to it so they could get CP as a child. I just wonder if it just a shot for the sake of a shot ($$$$$).
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I'd rather my kids having an injection, maybe feeling unwell for a few hours than suffering with so many illnesses that last a lot longer like, Chickenpox, Mumps, Measles etc.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

crazygal;630428 wrote: I'd rather my kids having an injection, maybe feeling unwell for a few hours than suffering with so many illnesses that last a lot longer like, Chickenpox, Mumps, Measles etc.

I also agree, both my kids have had all their shots including, MMR. I think vaccines are a good think and prevent alot of illnesses and long term effects from them. I just don't understand the Chicken Pox one. :-4
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Oh sorry I see. It came altogether, was a surprise to me as well, including two against Meningitis, so so important those I think. Meningitis scares the hell outta me.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

crazygal;630457 wrote: Oh sorry I see. It came altogether, was a surprise to me as well, including two against Meningitis, so so important those I think. Meningitis scares the hell outta me.

Well here's my other shocker! In USA they vaccinate against Chicken Pox but not against Meningitis. I was horrified (to say the least).
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

ThePheasant;630463 wrote: Well here's my other shocker! In USA they vaccinate against Chicken Pox but not against Meningitis. I was horrified (to say the least).

It's quite recent here I think, there wasn't any vaccination when my son was a baby and only one until recently. More crap going around their bodies though.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

ThePheasant;630463 wrote: Well here's my other shocker! In USA they vaccinate against Chicken Pox but not against Meningitis. I was horrified (to say the least).

they do :-6

our kids were both given Prevnar.

here's the FAQ's :-6

http://www.prevnar.com/con_faq.asp#faq02
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

sunny104;630568 wrote: they do :-6

our kids were both given Prevnar.

here's the FAQ's :-6

http://www.prevnar.com/con_faq.asp#faq02

I wonder if its different between states. Because when I took my kids to doc. here, they said they were very lucky to have have Meningitis shots in UK as it had not been approved over here.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

ThePheasant;630570 wrote: I wonder if its different between states. Because when I took my kids to doc. here, they said they were very lucky to have have Meningitis shots in UK as it had not been approved over here.

that's weird! :-3

well, we got the kids shots in Florida and Texas so I dunno.......
saffy

Post by saffy »

ThePheasant;630420 wrote: I don't really understand the need for vaccinating children, unless they are high risk due to other circumstances. After all, unless someone can tell me differently, it really isn't a big deal in kids. However, I do think that if as an adult you have not had CP, then the vaccine should be used, as it is much worse for adults.

But it could be too late.

Chicken pox can be potentially damaging to unborn fetuses, a vaccine should be given at the same time as the rubella jab imo.
SpiderSam

Post by SpiderSam »

I remember my friend telling me the States had a jab for the pox years ago as they were regular visitors over there. I forgot about it until I read this thread. I think with most kids getting them now at an earlier age I'm not sure it is needed as they build up their own immunity to it.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

There was a recent Chicken Pox scare at my kids school. A letter was sent home stating that unless you have had the disease (from what I could gather all the kids except mine had not). Then a second vaccine was required.

And with fewer natural cases of the disease going around, unvaccinated children or children in whom the first dose of the vaccine fails to work have been catching the highly contagious disease later in life, when the risk of severe complications is greater, they said. (from http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-hyl4g088 ... Rchv?p=517)

This report above would indicate to me that it was better to allow your child to have the disease their bodies will build up a far greater immunity too it, thus lesssening the likelyhood of catching it later.

However, as said in a previous thread, I would of thought that if you have not had the disease by adulthood a vaccine should be a serious consideration.

Just my thoughts :-6
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

What's the deal with meningitis?? I have recently begun to see an ad for it on TV, telling parents that their kids can get it from kissing and sharing sodas as well as other ways. I know what meningitis is, I'm just really surprised as to why it's suddenly on TV as a big concern when I've never seen mention of it before. Is this new??
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

RedGlitter;631697 wrote: What's the deal with meningitis?? I have recently begun to see an ad for it on TV, telling parents that their kids can get it from kissing and sharing sodas as well as other ways. I know what meningitis is, I'm just really surprised as to why it's suddenly on TV as a big concern when I've never seen mention of it before. Is this new??

Have you not had much meningitis over here. I remember when my kids were babys (over 12 yrs ago) there were many deaths in the UK from this. It was mainly in young children and teenagers. When I asked UK doc about it he said that it was spread via kissing etc. that was why the disease was so high in teenagers as they were more likely to be kissing more people (parties etc).

I don't know exact details, but there are different strains - certain strains are fatal.

Return to “Healthcare”