News with a difference - buzztracker.org

Share your best finds on the Internet.
spot

Post by spot »

http://www.buzztracker.org

Day by month by year, the top ten locations in the news, the links to the articles (assuming the linked site lets you in without registering - I think news sites are getting more relaxed about that).

Including, of course, today's stories.

This is a display I've never seen before and it strikes me as a powerful point of view. It's a lot more snazz than google/news anyway. Clean, very quick, very detailed, very precise. I don't know another way to get this particular information.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

interesting, but i don't much care for the structure. perhaps my mind is being perverted by the AJAXification of the web, but i'd much rather see it bring up the lists of articles when one hovers the mouse pointer over a plotted point, with the ability to then select, and have that information also 'within' a hover.

but as i said. this may simply be a perversion of my point of view.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
spot

Post by spot »

anastrophe wrote: interesting, but i don't much care for the structure. perhaps my mind is being perverted by the AJAXification of the web, but i'd much rather see it bring up the lists of articles when one hovers the mouse pointer over a plotted point, with the ability to then select, and have that information also 'within' a hover.

but as i said. this may simply be a perversion of my point of view.That sounds rather as though it relies on Javascript within the browser - excuse me if I'm wrong. I often skit about using Lynx or one of its derivative text-only browsers, Javascript is a bit of a bane for simple-access devices. They'd have to keep this layout for 3G phones, for example... probably... this year. I set up access for blind... sight-impaired... there's a new PC term I haven't grasped yet with "abled" in it... users and lynx is still quick and useful for them too. Me, I just like the speed of getting about and finding the content that text-only provides. So yes, of course they could write a javascript-enabled front end for people who like their bells and whistles looking that way.

Why do I prefer text-only browsers for the blind? They have a hard time driving a mouse, that's why. Hovering isn't on their list of readily-acquired accomplishments. I unplug my mouse at least one full day a month to stay in practice at getting around without. All web implementors should do that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

spot wrote: That sounds rather as though it relies on Javascript within the browser - excuse me if I'm wrong. I often skit about using Lynx or one of its derivative text-only browsers, Javascript is a bit of a bane for simple-access devices. They'd have to keep this layout for 3G phones, for example... probably... this year. I set up access for blind... sight-impaired... there's a new PC term I haven't grasped yet with "abled" in it... users and lynx is still quick and useful for them too. Me, I just like the speed of getting about and finding the content that text-only provides. So yes, of course they could write a javascript-enabled front end for people who like their bells and whistles looking that way.

Why do I prefer text-only browsers for the blind? They have a hard time driving a mouse, that's why. Hovering isn't on their list of readily-acquired accomplishments. I unplug my mouse at least one full day a month to stay in practice at getting around without. All web implementors should do that.

AJAX stands for Asynchronous Javascript And XML, so yes, that's the backend basis.

i've been using lynx for a decade or so. wonderful utility, though for most of my needs, wget suffices now.

my perception has been perverted, that's my conclusion. AJAX makes for a lovely web experience, but it's simply the glitter du jour.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]

Return to “Links to the Fascinating”