From a 50's Home...

Where the 1950's never ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of the 1950's.
along-for-the-ride

From a 50's Home...

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I saved these pics from the Chicago Tribune website today. They have these items set up in a museum.

Bring back any memories?

I remember the basement with the wringer wash machine my mom used. I remember the rotary phone, the mixer, the sewing machine.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Carolly

From a 50's Home...

Post by Carolly »

along-for-the-ride;770521 wrote: I saved these pics from the Chicago Tribune website today. They have these items set up in a museum.

Bring back any memories?

I remember the basement with the wringer wash machine my mom used. I remember the rotary phone, the mixer, the sewing machine.Brought a smile to my face those photos.When I was going through my "Antique" Period

in my life I used to run Antique Fairs and also do a well known market in London..Brick Lane. Most of those objects I used to sell.In those days I used to pick them up at Jumble Sales mainly.That was until the Boot Sales started and everybody was suddenly a dealer lol.Fifties "gear" is very sought after today.Alot of it was copied from the 30s but Art Deco goes for so much more.Im not in love with the 50s look and tend to go more for Victorian and must admit to like clutter just as they did lol.Thankyou for those memories;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
chonsigirl

From a 50's Home...

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah:Our sewing machine was older, it used a treadle...... my sister still uses it today.

Party lines were the best-pick up the phone, and the fun began.....until mom caught you.
minks

From a 50's Home...

Post by minks »

my granny made awesome things with a mixer like that one, it was built like a sherman tank.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
WonderWendy3

From a 50's Home...

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I loved seeing that!! My grandparents STILL have a refrigerator in there basement like the one in the picture and it still works great!

My Mom collects sewing machines and has had many like that, she says the older the better!!

I don't understand the first picture though, was that to show that people hung clothes inside too?? I grew up with a clothesline in our basement and my grandmother still has one too...:)
Sheryl

From a 50's Home...

Post by Sheryl »

I have my grandmother's sewing machine that looks like that. Except she had it wired to run on electricity.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
CARLA

From a 50's Home...

Post by CARLA »

I still have my mother mixer like that it will still be working long after I gone. :D

That washing machine with the clothes wringer on the top brings back memories as well. When I was young they were still in use. Boy I just dated myself. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

librtyhead

From a 50's Home...

Post by librtyhead »

That looks like my house.:-3
Patsy Warnick

From a 50's Home...

Post by Patsy Warnick »

That looks like my house

I have the rotary phones - RED

I have the sewing machine - I've used older models

I use to have that refrigerator - now I have a side by side & its RED

I have that mixer - it has the RED trim

My house is 50's - and I love it

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

From a 50's Home...

Post by along-for-the-ride »

WonderWendy3;770536 wrote: I loved seeing that!! My grandparents STILL have a refrigerator in there basement like the one in the picture and it still works great!

My Mom collects sewing machines and has had many like that, she says the older the better!!

I don't understand the first picture though, was that to show that people hung clothes inside too?? I grew up with a clothesline in our basement and my grandmother still has one too...:)

:) Yeah. Before clothes dryers, a clothesline or clothes rack came in handy during rainy and cold days.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Nomad

From a 50's Home...

Post by Nomad »

along-for-the-ride;770521 wrote: I saved these pics from the Chicago Tribune website today. They have these items set up in a museum.

Bring back any memories?

I remember the basement with the wringer wash machine my mom used. I remember the rotary phone, the mixer, the sewing machine.

Functional if nothing else. How far weve come in 50 or so years. I wonder what the year 2100 will look like ?
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “The Nifty 1950's”