A Picture of Me at a presentation

Share photos of yourself or your family. Have more to share? Start your Blog at www.forumgarden.net
Kimber767

Post by Kimber767 »

Hello:

Here is a picture of me at one of my presentations for children. I am showing of my Dynavox...which is a speech device I use to help me be understood.

In the picture I am showing it to some children, but I cut them out of the picture.

Attached files
Katy1

Post by Katy1 »

Did the kids enjoy the presentation? Did they get a go? :)
Kimber767

Post by Kimber767 »

OK, I will explain, and use easy words. :wah:

My Dynavox has a screen like a computer screen. I program in what I want to say, and cann assign an icon to it. Then I just need to touch the icon (think of an ATM or something like that where you touch the screen) and the voice will speak what I have programed.

It is set up so I can either program in an entire sentence or group of sentences and save them for later, or I can just type in what I was as needed, and speak it without saving it.

I do that some tmes when showing it to the kids..I will type in thier names and speak it. It has several different male and female voices a person can use as the default voice.

A couple of the female voices are funny because they sound like women who have been smoking for about a hundred years,:D

And BTW...I like my hair too and plan to keep it all for my self.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Katy1 wrote: Did the kids enjoy the presentation? Did they get a go? :)

Hi, its me. I just helped Kim put in her last response to Floppy. But to your question....the kids love the presentations and seeing the Dynavox. She prefers not to let the kids try it themselves..as it is a rather expensive piece of equipment, but as she mentioned, she will type in stuff for them to hear.
Katy1

Post by Katy1 »

Kimber767 wrote: OK, I will explain, and use easy words. :wah:

My Dynavox has a screen like a computer screen. I program in what I want to say, and cann assign an icon to it. Then I just need to touch the icon (think of an ATM or something like that where you touch the screen) and the voice will speak what I have programed.

It is set up so I can either program in an entire sentence or group of sentences and save them for later, or I can just type in what I was as needed, and speak it without saving it.

I do that some tmes when showing it to the kids..I will type in thier names and speak it. It has several different male and female voices a person can use as the default voice.

A couple of the female voices are funny because they sound like women who have been smoking for about a hundred years,:D

And BTW...I like my hair too and plan to keep it all for my self.

Wooooah!...Ok, I get it:thinking:

I must admit as a kid I think I'd be tempted to type in some dirty words......
Katy1

Post by Katy1 »

Marie5656 wrote: Hi, its me. I just helped Kim put in her last response to Floppy. But to your question....the kids love the presentations and seeing the Dynavox. She prefers not to let the kids try it themselves..as it is a rather expensive piece of equipment, but as she mentioned, she will type in stuff for them to hear.

Cheers Marie.:)
Kimber767

Post by Kimber767 »

I usually only use my Dynavox when I am giving presentation. my speech is difficult for people who do not know me to understand, but for folks, like marie and my family, who know me well, I can usually make myself understood.

But to answer your question about phrases stored for long term use, I have buttons that I program to give routine info. For example, I have my name and address programed in, as well as important phone numbers.

I also have a page with information about myself...like my favorite foods, my favorite things to do and such.

While we are the subject, on my computer at home I have a keyboard called Intellikeys. It is an oversized keyboard, with a thick plastic frame over the top, with cut outs over the letter and number keys. I also can control the cursor with this, as it is hard for me to use a mouse.

Because of my spasticity, my arm movements are very exagerated and I cannot fine tune them well. So the adapted keyboard helps me out.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Hiya Kim :)

That is most awesome. I thinks it's wonderful to have another way to communicate.

For those of you who haven't checked out Kim's home page yet, you really would enjoy it -- and don't forget to sign her guest book :-6

Way to go Kim :-4
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Wow Kim - that's an amazing device. I bet you're a right old chatterbox aint ya? :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

cherandbuster wrote:

For those of you who haven't checked out Kim's home page yet, you really would enjoy it -- and don't forget to sign her guest book :-6

Way to go Kim :-4

Kim says, thanks, Cher. We are at work. By the way, her web page address is listed on her personal page here.

http://kimhenchen.tripod.com

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Oh, one more thing, Kim really loves working with the kids. She likes to help them realize that people with disabilities are people too.

Return to “Photos”