Republicans take pride in being dumb?

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Rick Santorum says, “The Smart People Will Never Be On Our Side”

What can I add to that?

I remember when conservatives were smart people.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lenn

Post by Lenn »

But this is actually true about all the right-wing politicians all over the world. They are simply less inteligent and ridiculously aggressive because of it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Lenn;1476794 wrote: But this is actually true about all the right-wing politicians all over the world. They are simply less inteligent and ridiculously aggressive because of it.

William F Buckley used to be the unofficial spokesman for the right wing.

Now, it's Sarah Palin.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

LarsMac;1476801 wrote: William F Buckley used to be the unofficial spokesman for the right wing.

Now, it's Sarah Palin.

We really need a 'like' button for some posts. :)
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1476801 wrote: William F Buckley used to be the unofficial spokesman for the right wing.

Now, it's Sarah Palin.

Since when?

As if the Democrats have shining examples of the intelligentsia.

So Rick starts a pissing war.

Good going.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1476811 wrote: Since when?
Oh, probably since some time in 2008.

tude dog;1476811 wrote:

Such a wit you employ.

tude dog;1476811 wrote:

So Rick starts a pissing war.

Good going.

I doubt Rick could start a fire with a box of matches and a can of lighter fluid.

The article isn't really about Rick.

Some quotes:

For many on the right, it’s easier to believe in the stories written in a 6,000 year old book than it is in the evidence of just how amazing the universe around them actually is. They can believe whatever they want, of course, but the fact that they constantly try to force these beliefs on others, most especially through the public school system, makes their disdain for knowledge a matter of public concern.

- DOUG MATACONIS · SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2012

It’s quite ironic that there’s an entire branch of conservatism that has come to this, because things were quite different when the modern conservative movement started. Back then, conservatism was exemplified by men like Russell Kirk and William F. Buckley, Jr. and, even well into the 1980s, National Review would publish heavily intellectual arguments and review books that, well, were a heck of a lot more substantial than the latest screed from Mark Levin or Ann Coulter. There is still an intellectual wing of conservatism today, but it’s far smaller than it used to be and, quite often, it finds itself being rejected by the activists for whom people like Santorum, Bachmann, and Palin are heroes.

Today, the right’s excuse for intellecutals are people like David Barton, Glenn Beck’s favorite Founding Era historian, who has been caught making claims about the Founders that are not supported by the historical evidence. At the same time, you hear conservative pundits deriding what Santorum calls the “smart people,” a phrase I argue that was meant to be derisive and was understood as such by his audience, and promoting people like Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and Christine O’Donnell. It’s really quite sad when you think about it.

All from http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/Outside the Beltway: rick-santorum-the-smart-people-will-never-be-on-our-side/
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1476824 wrote: William F Buckley used to be the unofficial spokesman for the right wing.

Now, it's Sarah Palin.

Since when?

LarsMac;1476824 wrote: Oh, probably since some time in 2008.

I should have prefaced that by asking what you mean by the “right wing”? That covers a lot of ground. Been a long time, but I seem to remember Mr. Buckley a somewhat a little more specific about his view of conservatism.

With that said, just who is Palin speaking for?

Originally Posted by tude dog

LarsMac;1476824 wrote: Such a wit you employ.

Oh not at all. Just an observation. Far be it to me to come up with wit.

LarsMac;1476824 wrote: Good going.

I doubt Rick could start a fire with a box of matches and a can of lighter fluid.

The article isn't really about Rick.

OK

LarsMac;1476824 wrote: Some quotes:

For many on the right, it’s easier to believe in the stories written in a 6,000 year old book than it is in the evidence of just how amazing the universe around them actually is. They can believe whatever they want, of course, but the fact that they constantly try to force these beliefs on others, most especially through the public school system, makes their disdain for knowledge a matter of public concern.

I rather not put my foot into that bucket. No way could it come out clean. The one consistent view I have always had is the parents responsible should have the last word and public funds should go to that endeavor.

LarsMac;1476824 wrote: It’s quite ironic that there’s an entire branch of conservatism that has come to this, because things were quite different when the modern conservative movement started. Back then, conservatism was exemplified by men like Russell Kirk and William F. Buckley, Jr. and, even well into the 1980s, National Review would publish heavily intellectual arguments and review books that, well, were a heck of a lot more substantial than the latest screed from Mark Levin or Ann Coulter.

Well gee wizz. Not like the general populace is all into the pedantic of left/right arguments. Who really has the time, or cares?

I realize since the elimination of the Fairness Doctrine there have been complaints.

Not from the right.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

You are right, of course.

There are a number of people besides Sarah who speak for the Right, these days.

Rick Santorum as seen in the OP.

Pat Robertson,

Rush Limbaugh,

Mike Huckabee,

Bill O'Reilly,

Anne Coulter,

Sean Hannity,

Glenn Beck,

Phil Roberson,

- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

WoW !

I won't pretend to compile a rough’s gallery as presented above.

Pat Robertson,

Rush Limbaugh,

Mike Huckabee,

Bill O'Reilly,

Anne Coulter,

Sean Hannity,

Glenn Beck,

Phil Roberson,

They are all commentators who are not unison in lockstep with any particular agenda.

Thinking, I should never comment on a commentary of a commentary, especially when the original commentary was/is uninteresting to me.

Back then, conservatism was exemplified by men like Russell Kirk and William F. Buckley, Jr. and, even well into the 1980s, National Review would publish heavily intellectual arguments and review books that, well, were a heck of a lot more

Buckley and Will

Oh the good old days. Going back I could even say the same for Democrats.

Not really.

I will say one thing, being a longtime fan of George Will.

George Will gets called a RINO, for example, every other week depending on what he writes in his Washington Post or says on This Week.

All the more reason not to comment on an opinion piece.

Who and why calls George Will a RINO, as if anybody should care?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1477189 wrote: WoW !

I won't pretend to compile a rough’s gallery as presented above.

They are all commentators who are not unison in lockstep with any particular agenda.

Thinking, I should never comment on a commentary of a commentary, especially when the original commentary was/is uninteresting to me.

Oh the good old days. Going back I could even say the same for Democrats.

Not really.

I will say one thing, being a longtime fan of George Will.

All the more reason not to comment on an opinion piece.

Who and why calls George Will a RINO, as if anybody should care?

The quality of Dems is not what it used to be either. I'll admit.

Most of the really smart people these days avoid politics, it seems.

I had to go look up RINO.

Here is an strange site. Looks like he would be in interesting company.

RINOs

Seems according to these folks, any Republican that displays even a hint of common sense is a RINO.

Enjoy
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Mental Health”