Depression

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
Jives

Depression

Post by Jives »

Life is a beautiful experience....even at it's worst. Suicide is permanent solution to a temporary problem. Life changes, sometimes drastically, and sometimes overnight. I was once felling suicidal. I had been evicted, just got out of jail, and found that my girlfriend had left me.

But I perservered. I realized that it wasn't always going to be this way. Instead I picked myself up, got a job as a cook. The next week, I got promoted to kitchen manager. A minth later I was The regional supervisor. Byt the end of the year, i was traveling around, making serious money, and having the time of my life.

Try to get out, do something, take some classes, get a different job, go swimming, experience life.

Someday you will realize that all life was like a lunch hour on the playground.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
hotsauce

Depression

Post by hotsauce »

Yeah, what Jives said. I have seen medicine work miracles for people too! Also, if you stick around this forum you are bound to smile a bit. Seriously though, simple things like forums and hobbies could be really good for you! Don't perseverate on the bad. That can accomplish nothing.
Agnes

Depression

Post by Agnes »

btff; at least you know you are depressed? you need to decide if you want to be better and start taking care of yourself. make your mind up and say thats it! get some medical advice & then stick to a routine that will be tough. it is not simple to change, but you have the power, get positive and find someone to support and give hugs as needed. there is help, ask for it.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
hotsauce

Depression

Post by hotsauce »

my comment up there sounded too polly annaish. i hate that...when i do that. i wish there was some sort of switch you could switch...to perseverate on the good...instead of the bad. that is all.

the mental hospital did nothing to help you? did they recommend meds? did they recommend anything?
anastrophe

Depression

Post by anastrophe »

BlinkYthEfrENchFri wrote: This is my first posting or w/e lol. sha otay back to the bussyness....

I have depression and i recently got out of a mental hospital for attempted suicide... :(

ne ways, i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope with it becuz its ruining my life. Certain ppl dont want to be around me becuz im so depressed. My bf is scared to date me cuz he thinks im too depressed. i feel like im stuck! HELP!
at your age, if you are prescribed any meds for the depression, please PLEASE be very careful. during the weeks that the meds are building up in your system (this applies to SSRI's such as prozac, zoloft, celexa, etc), the 'energizing' effect can have a negative effect. one can have an increased motivation to take action - and unfortunately that action can be attempted suicide. i've even experienced it when switching from one SSRI to another, and i'm in my forties. something about having the cloud of ennui clearing, but not having the depression itself yet at bay.

i'm not certain, but i believe Wellbutrin is less likely to have this effect, because it is not an SSRI - it modulates other brain chemistry.

whatever you do, whomever may prescribe the meds, if they don't sit you down for about half an hour of discussing the pros and cons of the meds, then run, don't walk, to someone else.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Agnes

Depression

Post by Agnes »

anastrophe, what is the reason to switch medications? what do you know about Zoloft? My daughter-in law was recently prescribed the little blue pill after childbirth?
anastrophe

Depression

Post by anastrophe »

Agnes wrote: anastrophe, what is the reason to switch medications? what do you know about Zoloft? My daughter-in law was recently prescribed the little blue pill after childbirth?
each of the different SSRI's has a somewhat different action. each individual responds differently to them. when i first started on antidepressants a decade ago, pretty much the drug of choice was prozac. it worked - but i also found it increased my tendencies to aggression. being a socially timid person, that was a nice change in some respects - but as time went by it clearly wasn't lessening, and it make me more uncomfortable, so we switched to something else. i've never taken zoloft. i tried serzone once - and it put me into an incredible sort of half-asleep haze for more than a day after, so never took that again. have settled on celexa as my ssri - it's highly targeted (there isn't just one 'seratonin' contrary to what many folks think - there are dozens and dozens of different kinds of seratonin). celexa does the trick for me, no aggression, no sexual affects, but it may not be right for others. that's why it's critical to spend time with a psychiatrist who will carefully follow your progress. it's way to easy to just hand out scrips for prozac and not do adequate followup. if there's any situation where communication with one's doctor is critical, it's dealing with brain meds when trying to come out of a clinical depression.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Agnes

Depression

Post by Agnes »

depression runs in her family and i don't ask too many questions as to--if she is seeing a psychiatrist. her mothers father committed suicide by hanging himself, the mother is on anti-depressants and my daughter-in law cannot get it together & is the most unmotivated person. i hope she sticks with this medication as she has many bouts with either pain meds & medical issues that never become medically anything? she had taken pain meds during her pregnancy as she claimed she twisted her knee, plus insisted on having hemorroids removed before the birth of my grand-daughter. we set examples the way we live and accept her ways of living, she is a mess and lazy. OH well, i am not leaving my home to her.
minks

Depression

Post by minks »

Is zoloft not the drug that is impossible to get off of in the end. The result of taking zoloft is good however to stop is hell thus causing folks to have a tough time weening off it. Effexor is a good one, that is what I was on for 6 months, but yes yes get as much medical input for these as you can if you choose meds. They all have various side effects be sure you ask loads of questions and determine which side effects you can live with the easiest. Be dilligent when taking the meds as well.

If you wish to skip meds, go find something to do for yourself that makes you feel great about yourself, a course for fun, volunteering, a job, anything that gives you a good sense of self worth. And surround yourself with people and believe in yourself, depression is not something that turns you into a monster or someone to be afraid off. Please try and find something that makes you happy that is the start and appreciate all your accomplishments no matter how small these add up and make you start to feel better about you, then you can go on and tackle the other things in the way of a happier life.

If you feel the need to end you life, Make the call to any sucide hot line or even 911, or a distress center, just remember there is always someone out there who wants to help you.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
abbey

Depression

Post by abbey »

BlinkYthEfrENchFri wrote: This is my first posting or w/e lol. sha otay back to the bussyness....

I have depression and i recently got out of a mental hospital for attempted suicide... :(

ne ways, i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope with it becuz its ruining my life. Certain ppl dont want to be around me becuz im so depressed. My bf is scared to date me cuz he thinks im too depressed. i feel like im stuck! HELP!Hiya Blink welcome to the Garden.

You ask how you can cope with depression,

If you're taking medication, keep on taking them.

Anything that makes you feel good today or lifts your spirits (even slightly) work on it,there is light at the end of the tunnel, unfortunately you seem to be in a vicious circle, your B/F is wary because of your depression & you're depressed because of the way he's feeling!

It must seem like a no win situation to you at this moment in time.

Maybe it would be best to put him on the backburner for the moment, and don't worry if he has feelings for you he'll bide his time.

You were plucked back to life for a reason, please do try to stick with it, i wont patronise you by telling you "you're only 14, you have your whole life ahead of you..lifes too short..pull your socks up etc etc"

All i can say is, try to take one day at a time, if you are not getting any help dont be ashamed of asking your parent or teacher.

If you have a therapist/councilor dont try to hide anything or pretend that you're fine when you feel so bad, tell them.

I wish you well xx. :yh_flower

Return to “Mental Health”