trichotillomania

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

i suffer from trichotillomania and would like to hear from anyone else who suffers from this
lesley ;)
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

its an obsessive compulsive disorder ..... its like ocd ..... i pull my hair out
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

ashgrove02 wrote: i suffer from trichotillomania and would like to hear from anyone else who suffers from this
I DON'T, BUT MY NIECE DOES BUT REFUSES TO ACCEPT SHE HAS A PROBLEM, HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PULLING?
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

SINCE I WAS ABOUT 13/14 HOW LONG HAS UR NEICE BN DOING IT? :wah:
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

ashgrove02 wrote: SINCE I WAS ABOUT 13/14 HOW LONG HAS UR NEICE BN DOING IT? :wah:
About 10 years but she hides it very well, she tends to pull from the front & then moves around to the back of the neck area.

Her hair is pretty thin & whispy now, i have to admit that i do worry about her, but i do understand a little about o.c.d, i went through a stage of washing my hands to excess and thankfully saw it was getting out of hand (no pun intended)

and stopped it.

How old are you now?
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

23 now mine is al at the top of my head so i find it hard to cover a dont think im as bad as i was now i try to keep my hands busy
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

So about the same length of time, like you she seems fine when she's busy but when she's sat watching tv or her hands are idle her hands are in her hair, if she sees you looking she apologises & stops but her hands soon wander back up there again!

Thought about discussing it with a doctor, or having Hypnotherapy?
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

do you think hypnotherapy would work? a have been to the doctor they sent me to a psychiatrist which didnt help
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

ashgrove02 wrote: do you think hypnotherapy would work? a have been to the doctor they sent me to a psychiatrist which didnt help
Psychiatry does help with ocd's but like everything its gotta work both ways, you've gotta want to stop before you can be helped.

I smoke & i know it could kill me, i've already had cancer & beat it (touch wood)

yet i still smoke!! I know, go figure!!!!!!

Try going back to your G.P and asking what other help is available to you on the nhs, ask to be referred for hypnotherapy, it costs nothing to find out your options.

Saw a programme on tv once about OCD'S & one girl was in the same situation as you & my niece & she wore a wig & pulled the wig instead!! not ideal i know but once again its one more option especially when you're on your own & have no distractions.
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey wrote: Try going back to your G.P and asking what other help is available to you on the nhs, ask to be referred for hypnotherapy, it costs nothing to find out your options.

I'm all in favour of free advice....

abbey wrote: Saw a programme on tv once about OCD'S & one girl was in the same situation as you & my niece & she wore a wig & pulled the wig instead!! not ideal i know but once again its one more option especially when you're on your own & have no distractions.

That sounds good! Shave it all off ashgrove02, if you dare - what would happen? If you had a couple of good quality wigs, you could have great fun!
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

funny aint you!!!!! NOT!!!! u want to try live with it its not the nicest condition to have
lesley ;)
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

Forumgarden wrote: This new post violates our terms and conditions of ForumGarden. This type of post is not constructive to dialogue and it is obvious that you are peppering these forums with inflammatory rhetoric directed directly at other members.

I'm not sure about that, myself. Paula uses, to me, a highly wierd and almost unintelligble sub-language. Perhaps you could have it out with her in private, and then come to some sort of decision.

Forumgarden wrote: This is your final warning.

Hm. I wonder who you are.

Have you heard the child's expression: "Sticks and stones may break my bones (but words can never hurt me)"? To ignore is good advice - peer pressure will sort things out in general.

I think that various people are rather over-reacting here. Maybe a bit early to LART.
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

ashgrove02 wrote: funny aint you!!!!! NOT!!!! u want to try live with it its not the nicest condition to have

No, of course not. However, think:

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite ‘em,

And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.

And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;

While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

So. While I'm not actually calling anyone a flea, don't you think that the above may have some relevance here?

Anyway, what do you think of the shave/wig suggestion? It was a serious one.

I re-open this to add that perhaps I've the wrong end of the stick - were you complaining about my suggestion? It was not supposed to be funny. I will have to "view threaded" to workit out. Please bear with me.

Now I open this *again* to say that it makes no sense at all in this thread, the quote was aimed at something else entirely. I'll go off & have a little pick-me-up directly.
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

my mistake i thought u wer trying to b smart...... soz
lesley ;)
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

ashgrove02 wrote: funny aint you!!!!! NOT!!!! u want to try live with it its not the nicest condition to have

Apologies, Ashgrove02/Lesley. I had become confused, and thought that you were complaining about Paula, but no it's me. The suggestion about shaving/using wigs was serious - what would happen? The reason I mention it is that "I knew someone" a while ago who suffered from depression (you can call it chronic depressive psychosis if you prefer a more accurate term). This person would damage themselves with sharp objects, generally of the bladed variety. This provided some curious relief from the condition (cf. hair pulling), but the effects are permenantly visible. This person altered, and eventually stopped, this behaviour by using the impact of certain objects upon their person to achieve whatever benefit could be had, but without the long-term visible results. It worked well. The only reason I am asking whether you have considered shaving is that you *might* *just* *maybe* achieve some benefit - if you don't, it will grow out again anyway! If you do, then anything is a help. You could do nothing, but if the condition persists, you will end up with permenant hair loss anyway!

Does any of this mean anything?
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

aye it means something to me but it was never an option i thought to take but then again if i dont have any hair a cant pick it
lesley ;)
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

ashgrove02 wrote: aye it means something to me but it was never an option i thought to take but then again if i dont have any hair a cant pick it

Like the accent. Do you know gmc, who also psots here and comes from Scotland?
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

a dont am just new her yesterday
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

Hi Lesley, glad we did'nt scare you off :) have you thought anymore about Hypnotherapy??
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

i have actually a got in touch wie the doctors the day and made myself an appointment for tommorow to discuss that plus other possible options thanx
lesley ;)
greydeadhead

trichotillomania

Post by greydeadhead »

Good luck Ash and keep us posted. Will send some positive vibes along to clear the way for ya.. be well
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

cheer
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

ashgrove02 wrote: i have actually a got in touch wie the doctors the day and made myself an appointment for tommorow to discuss that plus other possible options thanx
Good luck with your appointment Lesley, i hope it goes well for you & hope they're sympathetic to your condition x
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

ashgrove02 wrote: i have actually a got in touch wie the doctors the day and made myself an appointment for tommorow to discuss that plus other possible options thanx

BTW, have yo Googled? (www.google.co.uk) Lots of info - including http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/ Click it!
weeder

trichotillomania

Post by weeder »

ashgrove02 wrote: do you think hypnotherapy would work? a have been to the doctor they sent me to a psychiatrist which didnt help
Lesley.. Ive known two people with this disorder. I understand it to be an outward manifestation, of an inner conflict. As all habitual behavior is. (I also smoke... despite knowing full well it is making me ill. It is learned behavior.

Difficult to stop... but possible. Find a therapist you really like and respect. Going to a therapist you dont like is a waste of time. It has to be a proper fit to work.

Good Luck weeder
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

trichotillomania

Post by koan »

I shaved my hair for about two years. Not completely bald but only about a 1/4 inch to an inch before I'd shave it again. VERY liberating!!!! I loved it but it was cold in the winter...get some good hats if you try it. Hats would prevent you from being able to pull from the top also. The great thing about hats is you can't have a bad hair day. Save a lot of $ on shampoo too.

I shaved my hair because of a severe allergic reaction to hair dye but I was glad to have the excuse. A lot of people want to try this at some point but don't have the nerve.
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

Hi Lesley, hope today went well at the doc's. :)
Paula

trichotillomania

Post by Paula »

abbey wrote: Hi Lesley, hope today went well at the doc's. :)

I really hope for you the best. Everything takes time, the more you learn about your condition, the better you can cope. It may take a few doctors and we are here on the forum to find anything to help. :-6 There may be help in alternative medicine, health food stores are happy to suggest. I will get my web-page of health professionals to you, they have helped us much...hang in there.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

hiya am back again the dotors went good he says he will refer me to a hypnotherapist... he also said it was 50/50 chance of working but anythings worth a try.... cheers folks 4 all ur msgs
lesley ;)
Paula

trichotillomania

Post by Paula »

Ash, here is a great place to check out. Linda is very informative, maybe she could be of help to you. I hope so.

E-mail: info@healingyou.com

Web-Site: http://www.healingyou.com/

They are about 8 miles from me, i go there often, i tried to view their web-page, no success. Linda & Ken have been in the health foods business for at least 15-20 years. She is experienced with Bach Flower remedies, i am sure what she can tell you, will be of value...Good Luck.. :-6
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
greydeadhead

trichotillomania

Post by greydeadhead »

ashgrove02 wrote: hiya am back again the dotors went good he says he will refer me to a hypnotherapist... he also said it was 50/50 chance of working but anythings worth a try.... cheers folks 4 all ur msgs
That's great lesley.. glad to hear that things are looking up for you. Try contacting the site Paula sent you too.. ya never know there might be a homeopathic remedy you could try.. have a great day..
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

Well done Lesley, i'm pleased that it went well for you, hopefuly you won't have to wait too long for your appointment x :)
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

hopefully not ..... but am felling a bit better now things arer finally looking up
lesley ;)
Wednesday's Child

trichotillomania

Post by Wednesday's Child »

Hi Ashgrove

Good girl to turn for help to regular people.... the world of the internet is a wonderful place and it is proven by the responses you got here. I also Google'd like someone earlier suggested and here is a link I found interesting: http://groups.msn.com/HairpullingSuffer ... facts.msnw

Glad you are going to try hypnotherapy. It has done wonderful things, especially in the area of panic disorders which many more people seem to be acquiring these days of high stress.

Give it a chance and when you feel the urge to pull...get on the computer and sign on to a chat with whoever is on line....talk about anything...just keep those hands and your mind busy on other things until the urge passes.

I would also work out a system of rewards for yourself, depending on the severity of your urges... (once a day, etc....) if you complete a period of time where there is no pulling....think of something good you want to do.... and treat yourself.... (I always think of ice cream or a peach).... but that is my failing ... food for rewards.

You sound like a bright person who is determined to get through this. Let us help you and you allow the doctor/therapist to help as well..... You will be doing all the work, but we can

be your cheerleaders!

Best wishes....start the new year just beautifully.....
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

not promising anything but i started taking st johns wort its a mild anti depressant and i fell alot better infact great ..... im not really all that bad now infact i got through a few days where i never even thought about my hair nor had any urge to pull so i woulnt say im cured cos a dont think anyone ever is but im better and half of it goes to everyone ive spoke to in here for ur support THANX :D
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

Well done luv, one day at a time eh? take it you're still waiting for a hypno appointment?
ashgrove02

trichotillomania

Post by ashgrove02 »

yip still waiting even tho i fell great the now am still going through with it ....
lesley ;)
abbey

trichotillomania

Post by abbey »

Good on ya hon, its so nice to see you being so much more positive. A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU X
Bill Sikes

trichotillomania

Post by Bill Sikes »

ashgrove02 wrote: not promising anything but i started taking st johns wort its a mild anti depressant and i fell alot better infact great ..... im not really all that bad now infact i got through a few days where i never even thought about my hair nor had any urge to pull so i woulnt say im cured cos a dont think anyone ever is but im better and half of it goes to everyone ive spoke to in here for ur support THANX :D

That's good stuff.... where do you buy it? How much? Holland & Barrett (the "health food" shop) sells it reasonably, sometimes with half-price offers (there's an offer on NOW, until the 12th.). N.B. Due to the (as usual) squiffy edicts of the E.U., it seems that many herbal products, such as St. John's Wort, which have been used for many years, will be placed into the same category as "mainstream" drugs - this in practice may mean that many are withdrawn from sale.

See: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... =54&Page=2

or pop in to your nearest branch. 300 mg. 0.3% hypericin 100 Capsules at £5.99 (50% off). Can be a great help, I was very sceptical as it's from a HF shop, but it's great. 7-10 days before full effect. Make sure you take it daily. Best wishes.
greydeadhead

trichotillomania

Post by greydeadhead »

That's great lesley.. So happy to hear that you are doing so well.. what a great way to start the New Year.... be well.....

Return to “Mental Health”