Living with Depression

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
Bill Sikes

Living with Depression

Post by Bill Sikes »

MarylinMonroe wrote: Lol, unfortunately no can do, I'm on the pill! But I have a got a HUGE pot of evening primrose oil which I have been very naughty and been forgetting to take. I'm not sure if they do much but I shall begin again today

Not sure EPO has any effect, IME. However:

"The latest recommendation concerning SJW and the Pill is that there is a miniscule but definite possible interaction between the two, which may in turn reduce the efficacy of the Pill. GPs are therefore being advised to tell women on the Pill who are also taking SJW to use other extra forms of contraception to be doubly certain of not becoming pregnant."

(From: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/medicines/207470.html)

"Most antibiotics do not affect this type of (progesterone only) pill. St Johns Wort should not be taken with the progesterone only pill (POP). Rifampicin and griseofulvin will affect the POP.

(From: http://www.studenthealth.co.uk/leaflets ... ntPill.htm)

So, perhaps a change of "pill"? It is worth noting that "the pill" may itself have links with depression:

http://www.2womenshealth.co.uk/15-07.htm

http://www.2womenshealth.co.uk/15-18.htm

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/pregnanc ... 04577.html

...just from a Google, you know...
LottomagicZ4941

Living with Depression

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I thought I was a tad depressed but the shrink says my depression scores are low.

I would hate to be really depressed if one can feel low and still not score high on depression.

I have a couple of relatives with Bi-polar.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941
koan

Living with Depression

Post by koan »

LottomagicZ4941 wrote: I thought I was a tad depressed but the shrink says my depression scores are low.

I would hate to be really depressed if one can feel low and still not score high on depression.

I have a couple of relatives with Bi-polar.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941

That's got to be depressing being depressed and then failing the depression test. You can't even score high on depression. Doesn't sound like something you want to tell a depressed person.

I feel for you...if that makes you feel any better.
Bill Sikes

Living with Depression

Post by Bill Sikes »

MarylinMonroe wrote: I think my libido is in hiberation anyway

Could be another symptom of D.
mazza

Living with Depression

Post by mazza »

have just found this site on a google of cbt for depression (there are many more) have a look and see what you think. i don't know how easy or expensive it will be outside of the uk but i have seen it work well for some people. If it works it means you make changes that last rather than just treating the symptoms. depression is so demotivating and draining. i feel for you :) peace.

http://www.moving-minds.org/depress.htm
anastrophe

Living with Depression

Post by anastrophe »

Tinseltoes wrote: I have clinical depression. I saw a very good counsellor for 3 years to talk about things! I also see a Psychiatrist who writes my prescriptions.

I first started suffering from depression after my periods started at age 11. My Mother and her father have both suffered from clinical depression.

I have taken many different types of anti depressants and have finally (2 years now) found one that works properly. No inner voice, no mood swings, no staying in bed crying wishing I was dead, no cutting myself.

I take the view, that if I had diabeties no one would question my taking insulin to control it, so why when it is my brain that isn't functioning properly should anyone think it strange that I would have medication to correct it?

If something works, don't fix it.
i'm with you completely. when i first began taking anti-D's, more than a decade ago, i was terribly embarrassed about it. 'i have to take a drug just to feel *normal'. hell, i still 'resent' having to take a drug to not feel the depression - but the alternative is *not* *worth* *it*. frankly, i think there's a good chance i'd have taken my life long before now without the anti-D's. i saw therapists off and on for ten years before starting the anti-depressants. i won't say it was worthless - i did learn some useful/important things - but talking about how you feel, when 'how you feel' is due to an inborne chemical deficiency, is pretty useless by and large. my life turned around once i went on the anti-D's.

i've been through a bunch of different ones too. i started on prozac - the darling of anti-depressants a decade ago - but the fact is, it made me far more aggressive and at times hostile than i ever am 'normally'. it was to some degree 'empowering' to have that aggressiveness, but i could see it was not healthy, so we moved on to other things. took buspar for a long while. have finally settled - for the last several years now - on a combination of 200mg of wellbutrin-sr, and 20mg celexa. tried lexapro for a short time, but the ostensible benefits were small and the price differential large, so back to celexa. it works, for me. yes, i'll probably have to take it for the rest of my life. maybe. that sucks. but again, it's way better than the alternative...
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
ice maiden

Living with Depression

Post by ice maiden »

my god it is amazing how many of us suffer

i too felt very down shall i say but my doctor has been great my problems where caused by high blood pressures of all things now that is under control i feel better

even my awful temper is under control thank you pills thats all i can say anti depressuants works fine but it is even better if you can find the real cause i am very lucky
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

I feel sad. A 14 years old and suffering from depression and it goes back to the time one can remember.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
turbonium

Living with Depression

Post by turbonium »

Hi, Blink

Do you have times where you are also feeling okay or happy?
nvalleyvee

Living with Depression

Post by nvalleyvee »

BlinkYthEfrENchFri wrote: im 14 and ive been diagnosed with clinical depression. ive felt this way ever since i can remember. my sadness is brining me down and chasing the ppl i love away from me. what should i do? :-1

Find someone you can always be open with - family, friend, pastor, - it doesn't matter. Be sure you know when you are falling too deep and call someone - don't be another suicide statistic for depressed teens. Heck - use this site if you can't find anyone else to talk with when things get bad. Try to find something that interests YOU and go for it. I think if you thought about it there are a lot of things you are good at - it could be school or sewing or maybe even being a good friend. My heart goes out to you little one and I will be here for you.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
lady cop

Living with Depression

Post by lady cop »

Molarchick,welcome to FG...i am sorry you are having a bad time, feel free to come here and talk,good caring people are here.:)
capt_buzzard

Living with Depression

Post by capt_buzzard »

and Welcome from Me :-6 Let the Sun Shine on your life today
nvalleyvee

Living with Depression

Post by nvalleyvee »

molarchick wrote: I suffer from depression, and serious anxiety. Panic attacks are a daiky part of life for me. I have 3 children, and they all have different issues they need me to help them with. I do with no questions asked, but when I am finished helping them get through......I completely fall apart. I cry, My chest aches, and my body literally goes numb. After popping the miracle ativan....things begin to calm for me. I just have a very low tolerence for meds, and feel like i am drugging my life away. There has to be something better. Molarchick :-5

Have you tried yoga? I know it sounds like it would take a lot of time - especially with 3 kids - but maybe it can help you with the breathing and calming your head and heart. I too have taken ativan but it was to counteract the effects of chemo.

You didn't say whether you worked or how old your kids are - are they in school. OK summer is here now so that doesn't help. There are support groups also - geez - for everyone these days. Other than that - keep talking to people - FG people are always willing to lend emotional support.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Jives

Living with Depression

Post by Jives »

I guess I'm a little Manic-Depressive. I go through long periods of being very upbeat, but every so often, I go into what I call a "black mood." But it's nothng I can't cope with, you guys have my admiration for facing your illness, especially you Anastrophe.

As Bill said, "Me? oh nothin' much, just a little "Edipus" Syndrome."
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
capt_buzzard

Living with Depression

Post by capt_buzzard »

I've had this Dystonia all my life. But its took over 20 years to accept, and learn to live with it.
Elizabeth

Living with Depression

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello Everyone,

I am new at this sort of thing and not sure how this site works so please be patient. I am a 27 year old woman who just can't seem to be happy and content with my life. I wake up quite often feeling so afraid and alone. I have been on and off of meds since I was about 20 years old but have suffered from depression even as a young child. I dont really know what I am supposed to write on this site or what to expect but I hope some good comes out of it. I wish I could stop feeling so sad and enjoy life. I have so many nightmares and wake up shaking way too often. I will admit I have had a pretty tough life but now I should be fully happy since I am now married to a wonderful man. I often feel so much guilt because I should be grateful for what I now have and I shouldn't be feeling depressed. Some days I am fine but just one little thing can set me off and I am either sad or angry. Are we supposed to share our stories, meaning our experiences in life here? I apologise for my stupidy in regards to this site. I am just looking for some friends or help. Thanks
lady cop

Living with Depression

Post by lady cop »

Dear Elizabeth...you are NOT stupid, and share anything you are comfortable with sharing...you will find acceptance and kindness here.
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Yes, LC is right. You will find people here real friendly and concerned.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
Lizzie Love

Living with Depression

Post by Lizzie Love »

Hello to all and I agree depression is a tricky one, there are lots of diagnoses and relatively few "cures", without resorting to a variety of drugs. In many cases anger is a better expression as it is a bit higher up the emotional scale, but most people fear anger and would rather the person be depressed (easier to handle that way!). After years as a psychologist and therapist it seems clear to me that drug intervention will subdue and alleviate some symtpoms, counselling too and yet neither gives long term relief without dependancy growing.

Now I teach people to "get happy" and be so the majority of the time. Some of my clients are off medication they have been taking for YEARS, especially those who were diagnosed as "bi-polar". My own experience with depression led me to work in this area as this had blighted my life, ruined relationships and led me to dependencies for years and years. If I choose to I can remember days and days spent in bed with the curtains drawn against the light, hair and body unwashed, unable to answer to door if anyone called, sleep, alcohol, drugs giving me temporary relief. Thenone dayafter suffering a mild stroke, I WOKE UP and saw where my egoic mind had held me for most of my life, and that was as depressing as much as it was illuminating. That was 15 yrs ago and gave me the impetus for what is now my life's work. I am so grateful.

We all come into this world with something in particular to do. For everyone it is different, I came in with depression. Now i help others to live their lives in a healthier and happier way (web site is under construction) . For me there is no greater reward than to see people transformed into the truly wonderful beings they are. That is the gift.

Oops hope I have not babbled on too much. We are all reflections of each other and there is nothing that one of us feels that is not felt by the other (at some point). The good thing about the mind is that it can be changed. Peace of mind is what I teach others and to me is not only neccessary but also beyond price.

Thankyou for the opportunity to speak.

Namaste

Lizzie Love :-4
"Peace begins with a smile"

Mother Theresa
Lizzie Love

Living with Depression

Post by Lizzie Love »

Elizabeth wrote: Hello Everyone,

I am new at this sort of thing and not sure how this site works so please be patient. I am a 27 year old woman who just can't seem to be happy and content with my life. I wake up quite often feeling so afraid and alone. I have been on and off of meds since I was about 20 years old but have suffered from depression even as a young child. I dont really know what I am supposed to write on this site or what to expect but I hope some good comes out of it. I wish I could stop feeling so sad and enjoy life. I have so many nightmares and wake up shaking way too often. I will admit I have had a pretty tough life but now I should be fully happy since I am now married to a wonderful man. I often feel so much guilt because I should be grateful for what I now have and I shouldn't be feeling depressed. Some days I am fine but just one little thing can set me off and I am either sad or angry. Are we supposed to share our stories, meaning our experiences in life here? I apologise for my stupidy in regards to this site. I am just looking for some friends or help. Thanks

Oh and I wanted to say to you Elizabeth (waht a beautiful name :-6 ) You are never, ever, ever, ever alone. That is the most cunning trick of the egoic mind, who thrives on making us feel seperate from each other, not as good as... blah blah blah.

YOU are a magnificent being, and better to be angry than sad. Take Pine (bach flower remedy) for the guilt and how about dancing? Do you? Everyone (well most of us) have had a tough life, it is why we are here. Toughest assignments are only given to the best students. Look in that mirror and say "elizabeth I love you so much what can i do for you today to make you happy", after all you love and care for others and always have, so do it for YOU too, you are (how i hate l'oreal) after all worth it. And each day do this.

with Love

Namaste Lizzie
"Peace begins with a smile"

Mother Theresa

Return to “Mental Health”