Living with Depression

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
MiwSher

Living with Depression

Post by MiwSher »

I hope having this sub-forum will encourage people to exchange information and encourage others. I was diagnosed with clinical depression several years ago. It's been a recurring struggle since but I have found that with support from others who have gone/are going through similar things, it is much easier to live with depression, not merely exist. I also hope we can help friends and family members of people with depression and other mental illnesses.

MiwSher
Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe ;)
koan

Living with Depression

Post by koan »

My exhusband suffers from clinical depression, as well as a few of my friends. A couple of other friends have bipolar disorders. It is very difficult and the medications only decrease the occurence and, sometimes, severity. I wish there was more information on living with people who suffer from depression so the support system could be better.

This seems to be more and more common.

My ex had to take six months off on Worker's Comp because he was having trouble functioning at work. He is pretty determined to beat it someday. It helps when he is busy and doing new things.
anastrophe

Living with Depression

Post by anastrophe »

i've suffered 'clinical' depression most of my life, though it wasn't formally diagnosed until i was in my thirties.

since then, i've taken meds virtually continuously. from buspar to prozac to the current cocktail of wellbutrin and celexa. without the meds, i sink into a morass. with the meds, i can function, and can even be insufferably cheerful, much to the dismay of those who aren't prone to 'bubbliness'.

i long ago gave up my foolish restistance to taking meds. i still hate the idea that i have to take these pills every morning just to bring myself up to 'normal', but life without them gradually becomes intolerable - i become a lump. an immovable, unhappy, distressed, anxious, enclosed, fearful, paranoid little lump of a human being, who would eventually die of sadness.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
MiwSher

Living with Depression

Post by MiwSher »

There is quite a lot of good information on the 'Net about depression and related disorders. I need to look up some sites again, as my puter died and I lost all my links but when I get some bookmarked I'll post them. But you're right, koan, there should be much more for loved ones of people with depression. Personally, I don't know how some of my family and/or friends have put up with me in the darker times. Actually, I was recently diagnosed with PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) and my depression is part and parcel of that. Yes, it does help to keep busy. Unfortunately, people with depression have little or no interest in actually doing things outside of what it takes to minimally function in their life. Of course it varies with each person how much or how little they can actually do. And trying something new is even more difficult.

MiwSher
MiwSher

Living with Depression

Post by MiwSher »

anastrophe wrote: i've suffered 'clinical' depression most of my life, though it wasn't formally diagnosed until i was in my thirties.

Same here. I hope that doctors now realize that kids can get serious depression as well as teens and adults.

anastrophe wrote: since then, i've taken meds virtually continuously. from buspar to prozac to the current cocktail of wellbutrin and celexa. without the meds, i sink into a morass. with the meds, i can function, and can even be insufferably cheerful, much to the dismay of those who aren't prone to 'bubbliness'.

I've been fairly lucky. I started with Prozac and that's all I was taking (though at a higher dose now) until recently when my doctor added Remeron. I also take Ativan but only when in full panic.

anastrophe wrote: i long ago gave up my foolish restistance to taking meds. i still hate the idea that i have to take these pills every morning just to bring myself up to 'normal', but life without them gradually becomes intolerable - i become a lump. an immovable, unhappy, distressed, anxious, enclosed, fearful, paranoid little lump of a human being, who would eventually die of sadness.

That's a trap we tend to fall into. We take our meds, feel better then figure we can stop the meds because we feel better. It's a very vicious circle, isn't it? I confess I've fallen into that trap myself and then wonder if I will ever learn to avoid it.

As for "normal," imho "normal" is a concept invented by very dull people. :)

MiwSher
persephone

Living with Depression

Post by persephone »

That's a trap we tend to fall into. We take our meds, feel better then figure we can stop the meds because we feel better. It's a very vicious circle, isn't it? I confess I've fallen into that trap myself and then wonder if I will ever learn to avoid it. I work in mental health part time, this is what most patients come in for, we unfortunetly call it "non-complience", most of us realise what MiwSher says is what happens.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

I feel that one need not live with depression. One has to face it and conquer it. One can do it with medicines and/or good conselling. One can also do it developing a positive attitude towards life.

My religion, Hinduism, teaches me that human beings are a menifestation of God. What we call death is a process of re-manifestation of soul in another physical body. Every moment we are facing different situations. These situations come to us because of our karma (action) in previous births. This is called Parmartha. We have no control over them. These situations will come whether we like them or not. But we can certainly exploit them in our favour. This is called Purushartha. What we need is a positive attutude towards life, faith in the Supreme Being, these situations, people around us and any factor which affects our life.

In most of the cases when a situation comes before us which we feel is bad then we get nervous and surrender before it. The situation then overtakes us. We should never give up. We should feel that coming of this situation is pre-determined. Through this situation God has given us an opportunity to raise ourselves and prove that we are worthy of His love and care. We should then analyze the situation with a positive attitude. Think what needs to be done so that the situation does not overpower us and converts itself in a favourable situation. God is always on your side. You do thisand rest will be taken care of by Him.

Another point. Don't sit idle even for a moment. If you have no work to do and no friends around, then read a good story book. If you don't find interest in the book then pray to God. Read Bible or Gita or Quran whichever Holy book your religion has. Read it loudly as though some others are listening. Do it and see the effect.

Another point. Don't think about those instances in your life which give you pain. Think about those which are enjoyable. If bad thoughts keep coming chant the name of God loudly. Try it and bad thoughts will run away.

Treat the depression as a situation sent to you by God based on your previous actions. Face it with a positive attitude and overpower the depression. Good Luck. I will pray for you.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
Bill Sikes

Living with Depression

Post by Bill Sikes »

You are walking through a beautiful landscape, perhaps in a wide valley. There are flowers. It is a beautiful sunny day. At least, it ought to be beautiful. It isn't, it's just ordinary. Dreary, even. Nothing in it appeals to you, or matters. You're aware that it should, but it doesn't. There's no-one about, and no animals. In various features such as trees in the distance, and clouds, you can sometimes see the features of people you know, or rather, knew. It's all different. Weird. You just plod on. There are slight ripples in the green grass under your feet. You wonder why. Looking down, you realise that the ground that you're walking on isn't solid at all - there's some sort of thin clear membrane, like plastic, on which the grass grows. Every step of the way, your shoe indents it a little. Under the membrane is a deep sea of stinking black sh1t. It is absolutely repulsive. As you walk, you know that if you tread too heavily, you will break the membrane, and go in over your head. That is a frightening thought. You do not know what to do. You are hot. You are cold. There's nothing you can do.

Just don't do *that*. Just *don't*, there's no need, and it won't help. Think about something else. Keep yourself out of harms way.

If you have any things which you might *use*, then get rid of them, or at least put them where it is difficult to get to them and you can't get them quickly.

If you drive, take care. Think how your actions might affect other people. If you did *that*, then they'd be horrified, and hurt. You wouldn't want that.

Work. Work hard at whatever you do. That may take your mind off it, a bit. It may help.

Exercise. Take plenty of exercise outside. Walk. Run. It will help.

Don't cut yourself. If you feel the need, try hitting, instead. You could use a piece of board, or batten. That will do the job well. It won't leave scars, which you will regret later.

It will all go away, one day. You won't have it for ever. When it does go, which it will, you may be changed a little. Fine. Different, but still there. OK. It may go away tomorrow, but this is unlikely. Maybe next month, or in half a year. Maybe a year or two, possibly more... but it *will* go.

Take advice from your doctor. If you can't face that, go to your health food shop, and buy St. John's Wort. Really! Take it every day, or twice a day. Don't forget. Keep a record so that you don't forget, for it is very easy to do so. The effect will be to thicken the membrane upon which you walk as you travel through the landscape. This will be extremely helpful on your travels.

When you get to where you are going, and have crossed the sea of sh1t, you will know it. You will be back on firm ground. You may well see others, following parallel paths to you. There is a lot of it about.
koan

Living with Depression

Post by koan »

Suresh,

Your intentions are very good but there is an error in your writing that I wonder if you realize. In clinical depression there is not "situation" that sets it off. That is why it is separated from regular depression. For no good reason, all of a sudden, the vigor and appreciation of beauty and all else is gone.

My ex would realize that his own daughter was driving him nuts for no good reason. Everything she did or said was aggrevating. She was three. It was like walking on eggshells and we never knew when it was going to happen. Nothing we did set it off. Nothing at work was causing stress or pressure. It just happens. If there was a cause it would be easier to deal with.

I decided to continue living as if nothing was wrong and told him he could join us when he was ready. It was the only way to prevent my daughter from being negatively affected. Our relationship didn't survive but it was not on a strong enough foundation.

I am quietly watching my daughter for signs of depression but it is hard to know if it is hormonal or chemical. One of the problems is that when he is depressed, if she spends time with him, she wants so badly to make him laugh and make him happy and she takes it very personally when she can not do this. I've asked him to let me keep her with me on the weekends when he is not feeling well and make up the time later but seeing her does make him feel a little better so he tends not to tell me.
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Suresh,

Your intentions are very good but there is an error in your writing that I wonder if you realize. In clinical depression there is not "situation" that sets it off. That is why it is separated from regular depression. For no good reason, all of a sudden, the vigor and appreciation of beauty and all else is gone.

My ex would realize that his own daughter was driving him nuts for no good reason. Everything she did or said was aggrevating. She was three. It was like walking on eggshells and we never knew when it was going to happen. Nothing we did set it off. Nothing at work was causing stress or pressure. It just happens. If there was a cause it would be easier to deal with.

I decided to continue living as if nothing was wrong and told him he could join us when he was ready. It was the only way to prevent my daughter from being negatively affected. Our relationship didn't survive but it was not on a strong enough foundation.

I am quietly watching my daughter for signs of depression but it is hard to know if it is hormonal or chemical. One of the problems is that when he is depressed, if she spends time with him, she wants so badly to make him laugh and make him happy and she takes it very personally when she can not do this. I've asked him to let me keep her with me on the weekends when he is not feeling well and make up the time later but seeing her does make him feel a little better so he tends not to tell me.

There can not be an effect without the cause. There must be some cause (some trigger) which we are not able to identify. All these clinical and regular depression are medical words. Medical science has to come out with some logical arguments and when it is not able to do so it says the reason is not identifiable. It is now a fact that medical science has only treatment for an ailment and not cure.

I understand that it is a difficult situation. But what I was telling is a matter of faith. One should have full faith and only then positive results will come. It requires lot of meditation and belief in oneself. And not only oneself but all the people around him should have that faith.

When everything tangible fails then one is only left with intangible ways. I have seen senior doctors saying that they have done everything possible and now only He can help it. Go and pray. But again it is not that every person will get success. But one has to try.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

MiwSher

Living with Depression

Post by MiwSher »

I feel I need to make some clarification here. Clinical depression involves a chemical imbalance in the brain which contributes to one's negative and/or confused thinking. In my case, the Prozac I take acts on the neurotransmitter serotonin. I do believe that a combination of meds and counseling are the best therapy for clinical depression, though, not just meds.

One of the aims of counseling is to help us think more positively. This is one of the biggest challenges to a counselor because people with depression often have what I will refer to as an "inner voice" which is constantly murnurming negative things such as "You don't deserve to be happy" or "You're a terrible person and nobody will care if you live or die." It is a constant struggle.

I believe there is rarely, if ever, one cause for depression and the various causes or triggers feed upon each other and create any number of vicious psychological cycles within us. And just as there is no single cause for depression, there is no single treatment, imho.

MiwSher
persephone

Living with Depression

Post by persephone »

Well there are things that do set depression off, they are chemical changes, they can be naturally occuring hormonal changes or caused through foriegn chemicals such as drugs.

Sorry for the sexist examples here, just easier ones for all to relate to.

Pregnancy: Post-natal depression. Major hormonal changes happen.

Menopause: Again major hormonal changes.

Drugs: Withdrawl, the body now has to cope without the added substance that over time has changed the natural chemical balance within the body.

I think the pregnancy and menopause shows how clinical depression and the chemical imbalance happens the best. Everyone knows how at these points womens hormones fluctuate the most, casing a general imbalance.

Sorry just trying to think of examples for Suresh, of course men have the same imbalances as women but they are not spoken about so often and the imbalances can occur at anytime in life for both sexes.

For myself at this point in my life, my testosterone levels are elevated, although I have been reminded that this may not be the cause of my overly agressive feelings right now, as women can also be agressive, it is not JUST a male trait :wah:
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
MiwSher

Living with Depression

Post by MiwSher »

Well said! Whatever the specific cause(s), anything that creates long periods of high stress or traumas of all kinds can bring on changes within us that result in depression.

MiwSher
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

MiwSher wrote: ....Clinical depression involves a chemical imbalance in the brain which contributes to one's negative and/or confused thinking.....I do believe that a combination of meds and counseling are the best therapy for clinical depression, though, not just meds.

One of the aims of counseling is to help us think more positively. This is one of the biggest challenges to a counselor because people with depression often have what I will refer to as an "inner voice" which is constantly murnurming negative things such as "You don't deserve to be happy" or "You're a terrible person and nobody will care if you live or die." It is a constant struggle.

I believe there is rarely, if ever, one cause for depression and the various causes or triggers feed upon each other and create any number of vicious psychological cycles within us. And just as there is no single cause for depression, there is no single treatment, imho.

I will agree with you. My suggestion was based on this only. You keep on taking medicine and in addition go for counselling. It can be self-conselling or through a counsellor. Developing a positive attitude should be the main component of counselling. Sometimes change of environment also helps.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Living with Depression

Post by koan »

I was happy to see a documentary on TV about a year ago that explained clinical depression to the public. It has been a common attitude that depression was a cope out for people who couldn't handle stress and a lack of understanding in the workplace and society in general. They have been doing some extensive studies in Toronto with volunteers where they measure brain activity before and in response to medications to see what the missing components are.

It is unfortunate that we know so little about the mind and the way "reality" is formulated in the brain.

Although it is helpful to know you are not alone, I find one of the problems with any illness is that upon finding a label it can often induce self-indulgence under the concept that the behaviour is justified. It is important to know that others understand you but just as important to fight a disability no matter what it is. Whenever I find an illness in myself I prepare for war. If I'm going to be defeated, I won't make it easy.
Bill Sikes

Living with Depression

Post by Bill Sikes »

MiwSher wrote: I do believe that a combination of meds and counseling are the best therapy

I can't agree with that. Some would run a mile before having "counseling". Sometimes I think that "counseling" can be counter-productive.

MiwSher wrote: One of the aims of counseling is to help us think more positively. This is one of the biggest challenges to a counselor because people with depression often have what I will refer to as an "inner voice" which is constantly murnurming negative things such as "You don't deserve to be happy" or "You're a terrible person and nobody will care if you live or die." It is a constant struggle.

Hmm. Perhaps if "counselors" had been depressed at some time they might be more useful.

MiwSher wrote: And just as there is no single cause for depression, there is no single treatment, imho.

That I agree with.
MiwSher

Living with Depression

Post by MiwSher »

Sorry, Bill... maybe I should've said good counseling from good counselors. :) Hard to find, granted, but worth their weight in gold when you do.

MiwSher
koan

Living with Depression

Post by koan »

The school counsellor recently suggested that my nine year old might have depression disorder...that she has some signs of it anyway. The counsellor didn't know at the time that Enya's dad has clinical depression. I think she is too young to be diagnosed yet. She may just be imitating some of her dad's behaviour. How old do you think a child has to be to accurately diagnose depression?
weeder

Living with Depression

Post by weeder »

anastrophe wrote: i've suffered 'clinical' depression most of my life, though it wasn't formally diagnosed until i was in my thirties.

since then, i've taken meds virtually continuously. from buspar to prozac to the current cocktail of wellbutrin and celexa. without the meds, i sink into a morass. with the meds, i can function, and can even be insufferably cheerful, much to the dismay of those who aren't prone to 'bubbliness'.

i long ago gave up my foolish restistance to taking meds. i still hate the idea that i have to take these pills every morning just to bring myself up to 'normal', but life without them gradually becomes intolerable - i become a lump. an immovable, unhappy, distressed, anxious, enclosed, fearful, paranoid little lump of a human being, who would eventually die of sadness.
Why are you so sad? It seems to me that if you never deal with why than medication long term only masks the symptoms. I have found that insightful humans who QUESTION things suffer from depression. I know that I also suffer from depression. I can feel it coming...so I know that it is chemical. Chemical, but

ignited by a feeling, an incident, an unpleasant reality that I have become aware of.If the chemicals that make us feel depressed are present in our brains, then they must be there because they are supposed to be. Called to action, when the situation warrants them being there. I want you to know that I have felt hopeless.

frightened. dissapointed,lonely,helpless, and despondent many times in my life.I am only telling you so you will know that I am not minimizing how terrible it can be. I do believe though that the catalysts still need to be dealt with, even if aperson takes medication for a while. What do you think?
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
gmc

Living with Depression

Post by gmc »

posted by suresh gupta

I feel that one need not live with depression. One has to face it and conquer it. One can do it with medicines and/or good conselling. One can also do it developing a positive attitude towards life.

posted by Letha

Well there are things that do set depression off, they are chemical changes, they can be naturally occuring hormonal changes or caused through foriegn chemicals such as drugs.

It may be hard to accept but chemical changes do affect your behaviour, not many like to accept that they can't control themselves. On the other hand people take drugs like caffeine and alcohol because you know the effect they have and want to experience that effect so is it really so hard to accept that depression may be beyond a simple pull yourself together

Once upon a time I might have agreed with Suresh but I have been living with someone with full blown clinical depression and believe me pull yourself together does not work. To be blunt it's purgatory, you end up resentimg the person.

One of the side effects of the contraceptive pill for some women is full blown depression. change the prescription and suddenly I am living with a different person. Since then We have met one or two others with similar problems, many doctors do not know the potential side effects of these things and make things worse by giving drugs to treat the depression which in turn have side effects. I often wonder how big a part it plays in marraige breakups. On a personal basis my life was prugatory and I did think of walking out. Now I have the person back that I first met.

Many people cope outside the family so those not close do not see the problem because it's when the individual gets home that they let full rein to something they can only partially control.

I also know two manic depressives both of whom triggered it of by the use of soft drugs-or so the doctors think.

weeder

Why are you so sad? It seems to me that if you never deal with why than medication long term only masks the symptoms. I have found that insightful humans who QUESTION things suffer from depression. I know that I also suffer from depression. I can feel it coming...so I know that it is chemical. Chemical, but

ignited by a feeling, an incident, an unpleasant reality that I have become aware of.If the chemicals that make us feel depressed are present in our brains, then they must be there because they are supposed to be. Called to action, when the situation warrants them being there. I want you to know that I have felt hopeless.

frightened. dissapointed,lonely,helpless, and despondent many times in my life.I am only telling you so you will know that I am not minimizing how terrible it can be. I do believe though that the catalysts still need to be dealt with, even if aperson takes medication for a while. What do you think?

I would say that it is not what happens to you that matters but how decide to deal with it, the point about clinical depression is that you have lost the capacity to think thinhs through rationally.

I'm inclined to think there is something that triggers it. The problem is is it something you are now taking or have taken in the past that is to blame?

With children some foods do affect their concentration and behavior, just ask teachers what they are like just before mealtimes and immediately after.

As to counselling, depends whether you need to work out strategies to cope or whether there is actually a physical reason for the depression.
Paula

Living with Depression

Post by Paula »

Exercise, that is the best medicine...move that blood and cleanse the mind. Pills i think are a "temp" fix. I have a daughter-in-law with visible seasonal depression. For a young person she has NO drive, i feel for my son and the girls. I tell her, get rid of the pills, get a case of wine, sip on wine in the evening. She comes from a depressed family, she really needs a "boot" in the butt. In the mean-time a "MOTHER" is a MOTHER forever. So as a mother and grandmother, i will visit often, make dinner if they need it, and try very hard not to say anything. Usually when i am around a bit they get better.

NO PILLS, i believe exercise and movement are keys to better health.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Peg

Living with Depression

Post by Peg »

I knew a guy with a lithium imbalance. Sweetest, most caring person when he was taking his lithium. For some reason, he stopped taking it which destroyed his marriage. He became paranoid and suspicious, thought his wife working meant she was having an affair, etc. Chemical imbalances in the brain can cause a wide variety of symptoms.
Paula

Living with Depression

Post by Paula »

I really think the pills mess people up for good? Has there been a success story yet about antidepressants? Have we seen (1) TV. commercial -- as they all think life is funny --- about success and happiness with PAXIL? No i haven't seen one either? So the message is, these pills ruin lives.
weeder

Living with Depression

Post by weeder »

Head injurys also cause depression. About 6 years ago I had a terrible accident on a horse, Fell 40 feet, off a bridge, ME AND THE HORSE TOGETHER, I was very lucky to live. I landed on a rock, in a river. My ear saved my life. A plastic surgeon repaired my ear. The relationship that I was involved in broke up two years later.

I knew that sometimes I would loose controll of my thinking. It was like my brain would spin. Like when a cassette player eats a tape. Never connected the accident to the behavior. A couple of years ago a physician friend of mine told me that it would not be uncommon for the blow to the head to cause the symptoms,

or depression. I just looked at it as another mishap that I had survived. Felt very lucky. And I was lucky. I did however loose someone I had loved for 25 years.

Severe stress, emmotional upheaval, major life changes can all cause depression.

I dont like to think that pills are the answer either. But, everyone has to make that determination for themselves.
Paula

Living with Depression

Post by Paula »

weeder wrote: Head injurys also cause depression. About 6 years ago I had a terrible accident on a horse, Fell 40 feet, off a bridge, ME AND THE HORSE TOGETHER, I was very lucky to live. I landed on a rock, in a river. My ear saved my life. A plastic surgeon repaired my ear. The relationship that I was involved in broke up two years later.

I knew that sometimes I would loose controll of my thinking. It was like my brain would spin. Like when a cassette player eats a tape. Never connected the accident to the behavior. A couple of years ago a physician friend of mine told me that it would not be uncommon for the blow to the head to cause the symptoms,

or depression. I just looked at it as another mishap that I had survived. Felt very lucky. And I was lucky. I did however loose someone I had loved for 25 years.

Severe stress, emmotional upheaval, major life changes can all cause depression.

I dont like to think that pills are the answer either. But, everyone has to make that determination for themselves.

Young children who endure head injuries are prone to learning disabilites. Head injury absoultely causes depression. I really believe chiropractic adjustments, by a good doctor is helpful. Life sucks at times, i know. Chiropractic approach is excellent to me, then there is physical therapy. Health Insurance a plus?
anastrophe

Living with Depression

Post by anastrophe »

weeder wrote: Why are you so sad? It seems to me that if you never deal with why than medication long term only masks the symptoms. I have found that insightful humans who QUESTION things suffer from depression. I know that I also suffer from depression. I can feel it coming...so I know that it is chemical. Chemical, but

frightened. dissapointed,lonely,helpless, and despondent many times in my life.I am only telling you so you will know that I am not minimizing how terrible it can be. I do believe though that the catalysts still need to be dealt with, even if aperson takes medication for a while. What do you think?each person is different, each person's choices are different. i spent years in therapy. i learned a lot. it did not alleviate the depression. the meds do. i believe i wouldn't even be here having this conversation had it not been for the meds. i would probably have killed myself.

if years of therapy are not successful, life is intolerable, and the alternative is suicide, then i am quite comfortable with my choice to medicate the problem.

depression is a disease, that can result in death. if 'exercise and fresh air' cure it, then it wasn't depression. the misuse of the term depression is rampant, and an affront to those who actually suffer it. when most people say 'depression' what they are describing is dysphoria. they are not the same.

i made my choice. i am happy to be alive. do i need to justify my decision more than that? i am a deeply introspective person. i analyze every action i take, in great detail (though often after the fact, which is why it's not uncommon for me to have harsh outbursts here).

as i believe i mentioned, my father died a year and a half ago. i was able to grieve, and i still do. i still feel anger, sadness, joy, melancholy, fear, envy, giggliness, petulance, sympathy, curiosity, intrigue, delight, boredom, superiority, inferiority, gladness, calm, agitation, lust....

what am i missing?
weeder

Living with Depression

Post by weeder »

Paula wrote: Young children who endure head injuries are prone to learning disabilites. Head injury absoultely causes depression. I really believe chiropractic adjustments, by a good doctor is helpful. Life sucks at times, i know. Chiropractic approach is excellent to me, then there is physical therapy. Health Insurance a plus?
I do not think that life sucks..I prefer to think that when a person survives anything life threarening,it is because they werent supposed to leave here yet.

I do not believe in chiropractors,but rather pain management through mind over matter,, herbal remedys, and hot water. I survived my ordeal, and was sharing the discovery to perhaps help someone else. I made a mistake.
Paula

Living with Depression

Post by Paula »

I am glad not to be a doctor. Good Luck on your endeavors, I try to take a healthy approach, that takes "willpower". Try not to read Holistic Medicine, it's about postitive natural remedies, many believe in like "religion." I am only responding as a view.
capt_buzzard

Living with Depression

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bill Sikes wrote: You are walking through a beautiful landscape, perhaps in a wide valley. There are flowers. It is a beautiful sunny day. At least, it ought to be beautiful. It isn't, it's just ordinary. Dreary, even. Nothing in it appeals to you, or matters. You're aware that it should, but it doesn't. There's no-one about, and no animals. In various features such as trees in the distance, and clouds, you can sometimes see the features of people you know, or rather, knew. It's all different. Weird. You just plod on. There are slight ripples in the green grass under your feet. You wonder why. Looking down, you realise that the ground that you're walking on isn't solid at all - there's some sort of thin clear membrane, like plastic, on which the grass grows. Every step of the way, your shoe indents it a little. Under the membrane is a deep sea of stinking black sh1t. It is absolutely repulsive. As you walk, you know that if you tread too heavily, you will break the membrane, and go in over your head. That is a frightening thought. You do not know what to do. You are hot. You are cold. There's nothing you can do.

Just don't do *that*. Just *don't*, there's no need, and it won't help. Think about something else. Keep yourself out of harms way.

If you have any things which you might *use*, then get rid of them, or at least put them where it is difficult to get to them and you can't get them quickly.

If you drive, take care. Think how your actions might affect other people. If you did *that*, then they'd be horrified, and hurt. You wouldn't want that.

Work. Work hard at whatever you do. That may take your mind off it, a bit. It may help.

Exercise. Take plenty of exercise outside. Walk. Run. It will help.

Don't cut yourself. If you feel the need, try hitting, instead. You could use a piece of board, or batten. That will do the job well. It won't leave scars, which you will regret later.

It will all go away, one day. You won't have it for ever. When it does go, which it will, you may be changed a little. Fine. Different, but still there. OK. It may go away tomorrow, but this is unlikely. Maybe next month, or in half a year. Maybe a year or two, possibly more... but it *will* go.

Take advice from your doctor. If you can't face that, go to your health food shop, and buy St. John's Wort. Really! Take it every day, or twice a day. Don't forget. Keep a record so that you don't forget, for it is very easy to do so. The effect will be to thicken the membrane upon which you walk as you travel through the landscape. This will be extremely helpful on your travels.

When you get to where you are going, and have crossed the sea of sh1t, you will know it. You will be back on firm ground. You may well see others, following parallel paths to you. There is a lot of it about. Thank you Bill.
koan

Living with Depression

Post by koan »

I agree with anastrophe. The term depression is often grossly misused and misunderstood. As has been stated a few times here, normal depression as a reaction to the environment and clinical depression as a chemical imbalance that kicks in for no apparent reason are two very different things to deal with. I did not understand the severity of clinical depression until I lived with a clinically depressed husband. Night and day.

I think the meds are essential to give people the ability to reason and function but I also agree with weeder that searching for a catalyst or a solution is essential too. At the worst, people will learn more about themselves. The problem is how do you ever find out if you are cured without stopping the meds to see and perhaps ending up in a tail spin if the problem still exists. It becomes a catch 22.
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Depression seems to be a serious problem in developed countries. What may be the reasons for it? Materialism? Families breaking up? What else .....?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

gmc

Living with Depression

Post by gmc »

suresh gupta

Depression seems to be a serious problem in developed countries. What may be the reasons for it? Materialism? Families breaking up? What else .....?

What you have no mental illness?

The next time I get a call from a call centre in Delhi I shall try to remember they are calling from an undeveloped country :D

It's an axiom isn't it people were not depressed in the old days they just got on with life.

They also used to lock mental patients up in lunatic asylums (known colloquially as loony bins) and throw away the key.

The catholic church used to (don't know if it still does and I'm not sure about the protestant church) condemn suicides to an unconsecrated grave. Kind of suggests that it was enough of a problem that they needed to have a policy on it. If somebody commits suicide most families still react by being ashamed and not talking about it.

I think you need to distinquish between people who are just not coping with life at the moment for some outside reason that may or may not be beyond their control, and people who have a real medical problem and cannot cope. There is a real difference. From personal experience I have learned not to be so judgemental of others.
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Oh my dear gmc, you have really taken up my querry as an offense. Please believe me it was a sincere querry. No hurt intended.

When I say that depression seems to be a serious problem in developed countries it does not mean that there is no depression in undeveloped countries. I find it interesting that a country's development can be judged whether its people are depressed or not.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Paula

Living with Depression

Post by Paula »

Suresh, This topic can drag you down, i feel much anger here, that is why they have the condition they have, it is part of the ilness. Good place to stay clear of? Much too argumentive. I feel a trap has been set.
gmc

Living with Depression

Post by gmc »

Oh my dear gmc, you have really taken up my querry as an offense. Please believe me it was a sincere querry. No hurt intended.

No offence taken, I understood perfectly what you meant i just couldn't resist the temptation to wind you up.

One of the problems with a forum like this is that the written word can sometimes look annoyed when it isn't. I was making a general observation and am not actually annoyed by any of the posts or the posters.

You do meet people who came away with things like in the olden days people just got on with things, which is perhaps partly true, but also nowadays people are more ready to talk about these sort of things.

One of my pet hates is comments about the decline of mpral standards-how things like child abuse never happened in the old days. They did but nobody talked about it and just pretended it wasn't happening.

I also think that there may be more environmental causes that were not there in the past, more processed foods for example Drug use can trigger depression so why not additives in food?-I have nothing to back that up it's just my opinion. If low blood sugar level affects your ability to concentrate and your mood then things in food can have the same effect.

posted by paula

Suresh, This topic can drag you down, i feel much anger here, that is why they have the condition they have, it is part of the ilness. Good place to stay clear of? Much too argumentive. I feel a trap has been set.

What so now you are saying we are all depressed? :D :D

Actually i haven't noticed too much anger.

Actually Suresh i have just had a phone call from one of your countrymen, why pretend it's not a call centre in India? the two second delay is a dead give away. We had a good laugh about it as i started asking what the weather was like in Birmingham.
Paula

Living with Depression

Post by Paula »

Danger, High Voltage Ahead...
anastrophe

Living with Depression

Post by anastrophe »

Suresh Gupta wrote: Depression seems to be a serious problem in developed countries. What may be the reasons for it? Materialism? Families breaking up? What else .....?
correlation is not equal to causation.

developed countries have better medical infrastructures. this tends to mean better diagnosis of illness. as well, more affluent people can afford to have their ills diagnosed.
samanthaguy

Living with Depression

Post by samanthaguy »

I FEEL LIKE DEPRESSION CAN NOT BE OVERCOME WITH MEDS ALONE. YOU NEED PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH.. LOVE CAN HEAL ANYTHING.. I DONT KNOW ALOT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT BUT I DO KNOW WHEN I WAS GOING THROUGH POSTPARTOM DEPRESSION IT HELPED ME ALOT TO HAVE PEOPLE WHO LOVED ME THERE (ALONG WITH THE PROZAC). KEEP LOVED ONES AROUND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IT MAY NOT FIX THE PROB. COMPLETLY BUT IT WILL HELP.........
:confused:VERY OPEN MINDED....BUT OFTEN CONFUSED......
capt_buzzard

Living with Depression

Post by capt_buzzard »

koan wrote: My exhusband suffers from clinical depression, as well as a few of my friends. A couple of other friends have bipolar disorders. It is very difficult and the medications only decrease the occurence and, sometimes, severity. I wish there was more information on living with people who suffer from depression so the support system could be better.

This seems to be more and more common.

My ex had to take six months off on Worker's Comp because he was having trouble functioning at work. He is pretty determined to beat it someday. It helps when he is busy and doing new things.

Very good point.
Suresh Gupta

Living with Depression

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Dear Samanthaguy

I fully agree with you.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

minks

Living with Depression

Post by minks »

This sight is a medical support sight and you can join any of the medical conditions support groups.

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
mazza

Living with Depression

Post by mazza »

Have just read through this whole thread and noticed that no one has mentioned cognitive behaviour therapy. This is well researched and has been shown to help people with both depression and anxiety in a supportive non judgemental way. Medication is important when the depression is at its worse because there is no way to get motivated to do anything at this time, however once the meds have "kicked in" there are ways that the person with depression can begin to use techniques designed to recognise any triggering thoughts in order to change the way they feel. A very powerful tool and one which carers of people with depression can also use to help their loved one. Has anyone had experience in using these techniques?? A good self help book to get is called "Mind Over Mood, change the way you feel by changing the way you think" By Padesky and Greenburger. sorry don't know the ISBN but just type into computer (google) and you should see it. xxxxx love and peace :)
mazza

Living with Depression

Post by mazza »

:-3 was it something i said???? :lips:
Bill Sikes

Living with Depression

Post by Bill Sikes »

MarylinMonroe wrote: I have to be honest, I've always been a bit confused about what depression exactly is and if I have it and if so what sort.

Well, try an experiment - whizz off to Holland & Barrett, who are on the *last day* of their sale, or order on the 'net, some 300mg. 0.3% St. John's Wort capsules:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 91964BC2DC

Knock back those at the rate of one in the morning, and one at mid-evening, for a fortnight or so, and see if it makes any difference! You needn't get all embarrassed at going to the doctor, or tell anyone, or anything!

Return to “Mental Health”