How do you think?

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
koan

How do you think?

Post by koan »

A Karenina and I were discussing the process of forming ideas and opinions and how it differs for people. I thought it would make an interesting subject under Body Mind & Soul.

Perception has been proven to vary greatly from person to person and so, also does the way one processes that perception. If you could describe your mental process in various circumstances, I think it would be very interesting to observe what a diverse bunch of "flowers" we have in the garden (it may sound flaky but you know what I mean).

I am stubborn and opinionated, yet question myself constantly. I investigate and deduce and reduce things to logic.

At the same time, I try to be intuitive, sensitive and compassionate. I can agree to disagree without hostility.

I often intuitively form opinions or concepts that I have no idea how I arrived at and discover out why I think them later. And I am just as stubborn even when I don't know why. I love to dicuss topics as a method of figuring out why I think what I do. I assimilate information and usually come up with some hybrid thought that incorporates every thing that sounded good and felt right.

I have bared my mind to you. Any one else feeling brave?
caesar777

How do you think?

Post by caesar777 »

I form most of my opinions from my heart, what I "feel" to be right. I am unmovable on these opinions.

I use logic to form opinions on how to get the desired effect and I can be persuaded to change my views on this.

For example, I "feel" that all people should be equal and through logic I believe communism to be the way to go about achieving this. With the right arguments I could be persuaded that there is a better way to make us all equal, but I am yet to hear them. I could never be persuaded that some people are better than the rest of us.
AussiePam

How do you think?

Post by AussiePam »

I'd like to think I'm logical, Koan. Too logical sometimes. But you know, I've found often I don't really know what I think about something until I start writing about it. Like, for instance, you're given an exam question to discuss. I guess a really logical person would think, make a few notes, intro, points, leading to a conclusion. I usd to do that. But often I found that the conclusion I reached, after my own argument, was not the one I started with. Can you relate to that?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

koan

How do you think?

Post by koan »

It was great to see this thread come up again. I recall being disappointed at the time that no one had replied.

I think a lot of times an opinion is formed through discussion where no opinion previously existed. That's one of the nice things about forums - the chance to have topics cross my path that I hadn't considered before.
AussiePam

How do you think?

Post by AussiePam »

koan;492965 wrote: I

I think a lot of times an opinion is formed through discussion where no opinion previously existed.

Yes. I am a bit less sure that people who have already formed an opinion modify their views after forum discussion. Haven't seen too many cases of that. Have you?

But just discussing things may help some people clarify WHY they hold the opinion they hold.

It's also interesting to see the different cultural inputs into things you yourself take as givens.

I like these kind of threads. Let's keep them coming. Grin.

guppy

How do you think?

Post by guppy »

as long as i am dealing with business or running of the house i do good. very logical. consise and can carry a big load of responsibility. when it comes to thinking with my heart i tend to **** it up pretty good.......

alot of my friends are amazed at the stuff i do and can accomplish and i make it look easy. so they say......:)
AussiePam

How do you think?

Post by AussiePam »

Go Guppy!

I'm blonde and female so non-linear thought tends to come reasonably naturally. I guess my jobs over the years have tended to entail more problem solving than anything else. There's a time for logical thought. There's a time for lateral thinking and - when all else fails - go spiral. You get unexpected results, and they are occasionally spectacular! :sneaky:

guppy

How do you think?

Post by guppy »

too many times i have had someone comment on how i can be so smart and so stupid at the same time........:-3 :D
AussiePam

How do you think?

Post by AussiePam »

At least you two both get the 'smart' as well as the 'stoooopid'... :sneaky:

JacksDad

How do you think?

Post by JacksDad »

I have no expectations and do not allow for perceptions.

Perceptions? How do YOU know who I am or how I think by your personal judgements. I get that all the time from my boss and at first I'm insulted, then I feel sorry for him. Basing his perceptions of the world on his own past experience.

Like the person who fears rabbits because they were abused by a bearded man.

Expectations? Only, but not always, lead to disappointment. As expectations are based on one's perceptions of a given situation.

I think. I survive.

I think using my morals, ethics and values. I expect nothing in return. And I percieve you as my fellow human.
koan

How do you think?

Post by koan »

I decided to try juggling once. At an airport gift shop I found a box labeled "More Balls Than Most" and it struck my funny bone.

I noticed as I practiced that I could actually feel my brain switch gears once I started juggling. I used it as a sort of meditation when I had a lot going on at once and I always ended up feeling more able to handle everything when I was finished.
JacksDad

How do you think?

Post by JacksDad »

Yes.

Someone once asked what I'm thinking when I'm playing the bass.

I said, "Nothing. Nothing at all." :D
koan

How do you think?

Post by koan »

JacksDad;494332 wrote: Yes.

Someone once asked what I'm thinking when I'm playing the bass.

I said, "Nothing. Nothing at all." :D

That's a difficult thing to accomplish and wonderful when you do. :-6
JacksDad

How do you think?

Post by JacksDad »

AussiePam

How do you think?

Post by AussiePam »

I can relate to being lost in music when you play. I find this also happens to me when I'm skiing. Caught up in the moment.

I am the world's most completely hopeless juggler. Totally unco.

JacksDad

How do you think?

Post by JacksDad »

I remember that. Haven't been skiing in awhile.

It happens sometimes when I'm riding my bike.

How is it we don't get in a wreck?
koan

How do you think?

Post by koan »

JacksDad;494351 wrote:

great image, Dad.

I could stare at that for a long while.
AussiePam

How do you think?

Post by AussiePam »

JacksDad;494415 wrote: I remember that. Haven't been skiing in awhile.

It happens sometimes when I'm riding my bike.

How is it we don't get in a wreck?

I agree on the image. Think we don't get in a wreck, because part of our brain is paying attention, while the rest is in some kind of zen mode. Grin.

JacksDad

How do you think?

Post by JacksDad »

I know when I'm driving on autopilot I have that third eye thing going on but not on my bike.

I just snap out of it.

Zen? or Alzheimers?:-3

And yes. I do stare at that image.
xxoakxx

How do you think?

Post by xxoakxx »

I think I think in all the different ways depending on the circumstances....or is that just a perception of myself:thinking: but how I feel often has the last say with anything important.

I also get alot out of discussion...and often will share a thought and have changed it by the time the discussions through, but thats what its all about really isnt it..

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”